Kagewani

I'll check it out for curiosity's sake. If it's good that's awesome, and if it's bad I could be doing much worse this season anyway.

I'll wait until I read some opinions too, it looks like it could either be very good or very bad

I would like to point out this is a short series since it's under the Ultra Super Anime Time Block. As is Miss Monochrome and HackaDoll, so expect that. =^)

I would like to point out this is a short series since it's under the Ultra Super Anime Time Block. As is Miss Monochrome and HackaDoll, so expect that. =^)

Yeah, it's 13 minutes per episode.

The first episode was nearly 8 minutes, so either 13mins was a grand estimate or the first episode's supposed to be that short...

And the animation studio is the same studio that did Yami Shibai, so guess what the animation's like? Answer: Not as bright but definitely has that "paper doll animation" feel to it.

Episode 1
It really does feel like an art student's final mixed-media animation project all the way down to the writing. This one's going to be a slow burner, as the first episode barely introduced the protagonist and gave us a lukewarm suspense sequence.

Hold on, if this is by the same people as Yami Shibai then I'll quietly excuse myself before even trying. Not because of the animation, but because the scripts for that were horrifyingly underwhelming.

The first episode was nearly 8 minutes, so either 13mins was a grand estimate or the first episode's supposed to be that short...
Technically, it's correct if you account commercial airing, if they even do commercials in-between the episode.This and Japan's TV listing lists it as 13 minutes. o3o

Wait.....it's from the Yami Shibai people? In that case, yeah.... interest effectively 100% killed and I'm not touching this thing with a 10-ft pole now.

Haven't seen Yami Shibai but I think "underwhelming" is more than charitable ...

I thought the animation style was crude to the point of being grotesque, and the events barely constituted a story.

ep1
Did they stick sketches of faces over some kind of motion capture? Not bad enough to be self-parody. I'd rather watch stick figures talking.

And what was up with the vaguely suggested monster/dinosaur? I've seen scarier sock puppets.

And what was the point of the whole episode - that our hero investigates paranormal phenomena by coming in after the "lucky" discoverers have been killed in their investigation? Too clumsy for satire or black comedy.

Ugh ... this may cure me of "check out new titles for kicks" exploration.

Episode 01

I found this to be alright. I think I liked it more than everyone else because of the dinosaur monster, and this reminded me of those types of creature films I loved to watch while growing up. I want to see more.

First episode
Very crude animation, hard for my eyes to follow. Simple plot, I can already guess where this anime is going—and no, it is not original. Lackluster characters as well. Perhaps it will get better by later episodes, but I won’t know because I have already stopped watching.

A final note: I am easily scared, and cannot usually watch horror stories. But this one didn’t move me one bit. Better try next time!

Episode 2
It's them damn heat-seeking yetis again!
Oh c'mon! Did she really expect her dear old dad to be alive on a snowy mountain like that?!

It's like Alien, except not as good...

Last edited:
Episode 2:

Glad I wasn't the only one to notice the blatant Alien ripoff homage this episode.

I thought this was a slight improvement over the sock puppet monster in the first episode, but not by much.

Episode 2

Haha, I enjoyed this plenty. Those eight minutes felt like only a couple to me. Some times it's nice to have these creature plots condensed into so little. It saves me hours of watching and eliminates a good portion of the boring bits. I almost want them to be longer, but if they were, I don't think I could be bothered to sit through them (if you've seen them around 66.5 times, you've basically seen them all).

Episode 3:

Heh, that was actually pretty good. There seems to be more of an overarching story emerging and the story for this episode was pretty well done. Japan sure does love its tentacles though.

I actually felt a bit of tension watching this because there was an attempt at a more cohesive plot than just people running around while monsters attack like in the first episode. The last episode also made the attempt at more story, but failed due to a completely daft protagonist, shitty monster design and the blatant Alien ripoff.

The second episode also fails because there's still no hint of why the monster hunter guy is important. He always seems to arrive late at the scene and does nothing but look worries while the thing on his face does weird shit. In the third episode, he still shows up too late, but when he does arrive he actually contributes something to the episode. He becomes more relevant if he's piecing together some mystery from all of these attacks.

The idea that these monsters are people makes things are interesting. The black blood seems to be turning people into monsters which means victims all might have the potential to be turned. Something is making these monsters of urban legend come to life. Unless of course the kraken monster is just a one off in turning people, but I hope not.

The monster design in this episode is much better than the sock puppet in the first episode or the stupid looking Yeti design. I think this episode works because the giant squid design is pretty classic and the episode doesn't mess with it.

Finally, I just think this episode does a better job of creating some atmosphere. There's a feeling of dread in the air from the start with the typhoon approaching. Then we get the flash back to the initial attack. I think this work particularly well for me because I have a fear of drowning so being forced down by a huge squid would be a nightmare for me. After that we get the attack on the town and while I think the boy's Eren-esque I will kill them all sounds a bit silly it still sets the stage for the big reveal pretty well. I felt a chill when the x-ray revealed a person inside and then after the monster disappeared I was tense waiting for its attack. I like that the episode didn't end on a jumpscare, but rather a sad note as the boy and the girl show up beached together.

The problem I have with this episode and the series in general is the art and animation suck. I knew that going in, but it still sours the episode as the characters can't emote very much and the voice acting can only do so much in that regard.

Episode 3
Is this... is this some semblance of plot I see?!
And there's even a reasonable attempt at suspense and atmosphere! Wow, guys, you've really found your footing now! :laugh:

I'm actually surprised at this episode in comparison to the first two because it was genuinely horrifying. There was an air of tension that was carried all throughout the episode, and there wasn't a heavy reliance on jumpscares or turning the story into a nihilistic tale of survival - it was more a personal story of grief that happened to involve a monster. I really think it worked this time around, though I do agree that the kid seemed humorously one-dimensional.

At least the main character is starting to be of use, instead of just randomly appearing and looking grim. He actually contributed important information! And was seen piecing together clues that appeared in previous stories! Good on him for being so productive! :frustrat:

Last edited:
Back