Overlord

Discussion in 'Specific Anime Discussion' started by Guest, Jun 30, 2015.

1. ZetsubouKaiji

ZetsubouKaiji Well-Known Member

Madhouse has been on a hot streak lately so there's no way I'm giving this a pass, but the concept is definitely not one I would be excited about otherwise. Hopefully at the very least it will have some neat art.

MintyAmbitions likes this.
  2. LinkSword

LinkSword POPEE BELIEVER

Thirding the previous two stances/opinions.

3. Thrawn

Thrawn POPEE BELIEVER

Posted by Thrawn on Jul 7, 2015
    Not fourthing it because I am anticipating this series about as much as Prison School.

Episode 1

And let me say, it does Albedo justice :megusta:

And bitch = slut. For your consideration.

Guess they had to do his inner monologue while the guardians were gathering, missing out on some bickering between Shalltear and Aura and a bit of background on their creators. But... the water bit, definitely part of the light novel. Don't remember if it was part of the online manga but don't think it was. And while it missed out on most of the groping, we got a few shots of Albedo squirming around and dat pleasured face :megusta:

I can say that I'm satisfied, and the animation was good to boot. But Albedo, that is some damn fine animation right there.

This is one of those shows without the play-by-play Thrawn posts. And that's it. It'll probably get to the end of Bloody Valkyrie if it's 12 episodes or probably around volume 3, probably has enough content to wrap up the major arc and then some, if it's going by the translated volumes. Probably.

4. tootalls

tootalls Well-Known Member

ep 1...........pretty good.

was afraid to dig into any rpg anime for a while but it looks fairly promising............and yeah, madhouse..............

not much to say about it though.

worknboy likes this.
  5. Teophan

Teophan Well-Known Member

Posted by Teophan on Jul 7, 2015
    I liked it. At first I was like "Oh, another Dive MMORPG? Wonder what they will do differently." But I was surprised. I liked the way it's going so far.

I did find that many of the characters resembled other animes. Albedo looks like what's his name from Bleach. The guy in the red suit reminds me of Alucard from Hellsing. I also like this spin this show did on how the MC appears to be the evil boss. But there is still so much to find out. We also need to know how many other players got stuck.

I'm in.

6. tootalls

Not confirmed to be stuck. the game console aka pause menu isn't working but he never panicked or really tried logging out. there may be another way to log out but he mentioned his sad loner existence so he may never attempt to log out........

I was also wondering if he was even fully emerged like in SAO, or if everything was just an on screen visual representation, but he did smell the chick when she was close to him so I guess he is fully emerged.

7. Teophan

Posted by Teophan on Jul 7, 2015
    The beginning clearly stated that it was a dive MMORPG. So I'm guessing he's got some type of dive gear on. WIth the menu system not showing up, he should have already realized that he can't log out anymore. The issue with being able to feel, smell, etc, all the NPCs, and the NPCs coming to life has to mean something to him.

Obviously the viewers know, but, for the sake of the story, he will understand as the series goes on. Good catch on how he indicated that he pondered if he should stay in that world if it is real. It's like he has nothing to go back to, so why not enjoy staying in a world that he can rule?

Of course I can see this as the storyline. Man is trapped, feels no need to go back to the real world, has everything he has there, meets other ppl, has a change of heart and tries to get back.

8. Tents

Tents Well-Known Member

Posted by Tents on Jul 7, 2015
    Episode 1

Fairly enjoyed it. My first thought was along the lines "he won't really have that voice with that look, right?" Thankfully he didn't and that's neat. I dig our MC's buff skeleton look as it is so going to make all the ecchi bits more steamy, right? :laugh:

I like the premise.
    So you wake up to be an ultimate badass in a world where you have a squad of ass kicking followers and your own fancy place and is real enough? You know, I would start wondering about not going back either.

I laughed about MC programming Albedo into being madly in love. Live your dream, young man, live the dream.
    The episode was mostly an introduction so we will see how it goes but I can already say no to the twins.

9. ZetsubouKaiji

I'm still kinda on the fence about this one.
    I think it does enough to differentiate itself from other MMO type settings, but I wasn't fond of any of the character designs other than the main character. I'm not completely sold on the main guy's design though. On the one hand the Skeletor/Barragan look is pretty cool, but on the other it puts extra burden on the voice actor since the face can't emote very much. He did fine this episode, but depending on the tone of the series it could be a problem.

I thought the animation was pretty mediocre too. All the action scenes were disappointing this episode. The opening action sequence was especially disappointing as that should have been a wow moment, but it looked pretty lame. The later action sequence was better but still nothing to write home about.

There was a ton to set up with this episode though and we still have no inkling of what they plot is going to entail. I'm interested to see how the rest of the world reacts to the villainous looking main character now that they seem to have become sentient. There are probably going to be several other leftover players as well and that will factor pretty heavily into whatever the plot is going to be.

There's potential here and I'm still feeling positive about this one because it's Madhouse, but I'm definitely not sold.

I agree with Tents that the Elf twins were pretty terrible though.

10. PeKee

PeKee Member

Posted by PeKee on Jul 8, 2015
    Well I read the manga so I knew what to expect and oh boy this one didn't dissapoint(atleast not yet)

11. Teophan

You read the manga and id didn't disappoint....not yet? So are you hinting that we should prepare ourselves for a change in our perception of this story?

12. tootalls

Ep 2

3 days and no reference on if he's trapped or not. I guess that technicality has a chance of never being visited.

well the world and actions there in are still cool and interesting.

just waiting on one of his subordinates to betray him.

the upcoming battle should be entertaining.

13. PeKee

PeKee Member

Posted by PeKee on Jul 15, 2015
    Nah I meant that the adaptation didn't dissapoint. I'm usally the guy who complains about how the anime is not nearly as as good as the manga('cus that's how it usually is)
    This time I don't really have much to complain about. The anime actually seems better in some regards. Altough if I had to nitpick about something,, it's that Momonga doesn't looks as creepy/intimidating in the anime.
    Well he can't access any menus, so he can't just log out. Also it's made pretty clear that while extremely similar the world he is in is different from the game.

Why would they betray him? He's essentially one of the "gods" that created them. Not to mention it's made pretty clear that he could annihlate any of them no prob. It would seem pretty stupid to betray him, since there's no real reason for it.

Oh trust me, it will be glorious

14. Thrawn

Thrawn POPEE BELIEVER

Albedo :love: Can't help but love her.

This. And the light novels, they differ a bit but still absolutely love the crap out of it.

15. ZetsubouKaiji

Maaaaaaaaaaaaan, this has been too slowed paced. Usually I don't mind shows that take their time getting to the plot, but I'm not that interested in this world yet. This episode felt like an extended introduction to a bunch of stock character types and I didn't give a shit about any of them. Add to that the animation is not great and the art is generic and there's not much for me to grasp onto. As I commented last week the only really interesting character is the main and even that design has been done, he looks like Barragan from Bleach.

Here's my problem. What's the hook for this anime? It's fine to flesh out the setting and characters first but there has to be something to interest me in the characters and setting first. As I said everyone's got basic stock personalities so that's not holding my interest, but other than defunct MMO I don't really feel like I've learned much of anything about the world and so I'm just looking for something to grasp onto.

16. Gens

Gens Database Moderator

Posted by Gens on Jul 15, 2015
    I unfortunately have to agree with everything ZK said on this, I just watched the first two episodes earlier and quite frankly the word that came to mind while I was watching was "boring". I feel like this episode in particular just went on for far too long with the established loyalty galavanting and I also massively disliked the pseduo-harem vibe I'm getting from Shalltear and Albedo. I swear if it becomes a prominent thing, I'll probably get irritated very quickly by it and throw things.

Anyway, I don't have much to add, I just hope the next episode is much better paced and I get something to actually chew on. The main character does at least leave a stronger impression for me than what I've seen from a lot of these VMMORPG shows so far but that's about the only real positive thing I can say. I'm not even sure the action will even be any good either as ZK's said already - the animation didn't even look particularly great which doesn't leave me thinking they'll be anything promising on that front and that's just strange because I'd expect Madhouse to be better with this kind of thing.

17. brajt

brajt New Member

Posted by brajt on Jul 15, 2015
    I haven't read the manga and after watching both episodes, I'm hooked. We've got a funny bunch of evil-looking characters and I can't wait till they start to takeover that world. While I agree that 2 episodes of introduction is a lot, it's not too much imho, as long as the show is 2cour. It is, isn't it? I hope so.

Also I don't mind the art being generic - when I want to watch an anime I expect it to look like anime and I watch it for fun, not for fights, so the animation doesn't have to be great either.

18. PeKee

PeKee Member

Posted by PeKee on Jul 15, 2015
    Well yea this show starts slow, but it should start to pick up the pace from now on.
    Since in the next ep you finally see more of the world than just the Guild and the NPCs.
    Not to mention there's actual action too.

19. FireWalker

FireWalker Active Member

ep1-2: Pretty entertaining but no Log Horizon. As ZK said, still waiting to find out
    what the big story is: trapped? under attack in this world? quest for justice?
    and a bit too much time on the protestations of loyalty and the inner monologue of MC..
    Definitely intriguing and one I will stick with.