Bartender

Funkgun

Forum Moderator
[sadht]Bartender[/sadht][sadhl=A]bartender[/sadhl][sadhc][/sadhc][sadhr=mariprosa]a562[/sadhr][sadhr=][/sadhr][sadhr=][/sadhr][sadhdr][/sadhdr]

I looked, i did not see a thread for this show, Which is amazing given it had the most votes in the pick funk a 600th title.
Anyhoo.

This show is like a white Russian, it goes down smooth. The bartender has made me question my sexuality, cause he is a stylish handsome lad with a killer nickname. Glass of the Gods.
Dude sign me up for that cool of a name.

In the first 4 episodes I realize this is primarily a single episode by episode show where the bartender does not only remember drinks you had with him, but knows just what to do to make your problems better.
I love the shaft of light that he has on him in the bar. Also the annalogy of the heavy door and name hide out was interesting.
Actually this seems like a history lesson or a lesson on drinks. Or what the word Bartender means.
I am not sure that is the real history of the Margarita in, but then again I think your supposed to not know exactly.
I am toasting a glass of the finest St Michelles to episode5 as I write. Just got done with the bride episode.

Cheers.

Episode 5 and 6 were standard but fun. The link between
hemingway,and a drink in his name worked
the next epiosde with the film makers was good as well.
But I loved the next episode where other bar tenders
cover for the sick Glass of the Gods, and do a pretty good job to boot!
Ep 8, I want to try out that drink with the cherry. anyhow nice twist
the lady was lieing too!
I did learn one thing, do not lie to a bartender.
Ep9 -10
wrinkles lol.
It is weird how the show uses characters from other episodes to tell the story to the 4th wall audience. nice lil Christmas episode. =)
Ep 11No name drinks?
Indeed I like those other two older bartenders. Well The last episode is in the books.

So this is only 11 episodes? well it was a very solid show. I am also very buzzed
3.5 but a 4 because you can drink along with it.

I feel the ultra chill of this show... Aces.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Very nice anime, but imo it got weaker towards the end. Still, I love alcohol, and the anime presented them in a very meticulous way. :smile:

Very nice anime, but imo it got weaker towards the end. Still, I love alcohol, and the anime presented them in a very meticulous way. :smile:

Dang no kidding, it decided to use computer made cel art for the drinks and bottles. they sorta looked different. I guess that was on purpose to showcase the drinks.

I wonder if they got any revenue from the free advertisements?

Dang no kidding, it decided to use computer made cel art for the drinks and bottles. they sorta looked different. I guess that was on purpose to showcase the drinks.

I wonder if they got any revenue from the free advertisements?

For sure they did. A lot of anime are using branded things (Example: Ritsu uses Zyljan cymbals in K-on!). :smile:

For sure they did. A lot of anime are using branded things (Example: Ritsu uses Zyljan cymbals in K-on!). :smile:

You know I seriously looked up some of the brands they discussed to mix the drinks. I might have to go back to the show to get the correct spelling.

Anudevil, the FYAB group watches anime whenever it is convenient for them. As long as you watch it on the specified day(s) (your time or someone else's doesn't matter) and watch the prescribed amount of episodes, and report in the anime discussion thread your thoughts and comments about what you just watched and what the others have said about what you just watched, then you are good. And even those guidelines aren't hard and fast. (For instance, if you miss a day, you can generally play catchup the next day and no-one will mind.)

FYAB is pretty laid back. Hang out with your AP buddies and watch anime you can discuss together at everyone's mutual convenience. Total coolness.

If it's Friday where you are, feel free to start if you so desire! (Just turned Friday where I am, too!)

Episode 1

Quiet, gentle pacing ... I'm not sure what I was expecting, but this isn't what I thought. (Maybe I was thinking of the antics of Tom Cruise in Cocktail???) It does look as though it will be very episodic in nature, with a drink of the day for each episode. That could be fun. Now I want to have a Grasshopper ... *grin*
... this show could be dangerous!

Episode 1

Tents is too lazy to write something so just pretend my post stands for hers as well....

Anyway, we didn't dig the first episode. The concept is nice but the overall execution was pretty poor. Things started nicely with that wonderful OP and I really like the smooth gentle soundtrack that's being used.

The animation kind of sucks with the characters looking very stiff and their movements looking quite fake. Plus, the anime tries to have this nice soothing atmosphere but fails because of the way the scenes jump around with the background suddenly going black and have a character break the 4th wall. It's disorienting, unnecessary and breaks the flow of the show.

Then there was the guy that hated bartenders. He was way too over the top with his hatred. For that level of animosity I'd think a bartender had murdered his parents, stole his girlfriend and kicked his puppy. When you find out why he hates bars, it makes his attitude totally fucking ridiculous. I get the point that he found the bar he went to in college pretentious so his faith was restored with the simplest of drinks, but the execution sucked.

The end of the episode was totally cheesy and the bartender's dialogue was borderline pretentious, (although Tent thinks it was full blown pretentious) and we both agree that it was totally cheesy and unbelievable. The bartenders talks of defining a bartender and the bar being a hideout were really too much.

Overall, I like the concept but the execution was terrible and hopefully everything won't be so over the top. Although I suspect the pretentious bartender talk is something I will have to get used to. Still, if the anime would settle down a bit and have more interesting patrons that aren't one dimensional haters then this could be a decent watch. For now though we found the episode a bit off putting.

Last edited:
You didn't add the most important thing I have come up with ever!

Ryuu's a motherfuckin' booze fairy.

He is the kind of a guy that can woo you onto his peepee no matter what your gender is.

I'd need way more than a watered down whiskey for that to happen. Besides I much preferred the devilish gay Ono from Antique Bakery. I'd definitely do a goofy dance in the rain with him.

likethis.jpg

Back