The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan

Episode 1

Seemed to retain the same kind of feel as Haruhi. It's weird to see Nagato talking so much and have basically a completely different personality. This might be something I may be better off holding back on and watching in sets of 2-3 or maybe even all at once.

Yeah this Nagato is even more talkative than the one in the disappearance movie............

ep1.

well So far I only watched it raw because it took so long to sub so I can't really comment much on the dialogue but Kyon still seems to be thinking a lot. I'll have to watch it subbed to determine if anything he can possibly think of this time around is interesting.

I got the general gist of the episode, seemed to be a big emphasis on a christmas party were Nagato wanted to eat a turkey and then later decided on cake or something...............

so yeah, looking at it that way, it sounds pretty lame so I'll leave the premise for later when I watch it subbed.

I like how they teased us with that knife wielding bitch cooking and pulling off that deadly twirl she did after stabbing Kyon in the movie and shaking off his blood. I don't know if I'll ever be comfortable with her on screen, she's already tried to kill Kyon in 2 different dimensions and going by the character designs I have to consider this a different dimension from any of the others to accept it, and it's only a matter of time before she tries to kill Kyon again.........
Speaking of character designs, most of the female characters are passable but damn Asahina and Kyon have suffered big time. I just have to think of this as an alternate dimension.

Hmm doesn't quite look right with the different character designs but I guess that's cause this one wasn't done by Kyoto Animation like Haruhi was.

Seriously, a 2.6 on the rating scale? C'mon AP, you're better than this. (Not that I expect much from them anyways) It's at least better than a 3.

This was a darn good episode. It was sweet, nice heart warming romantic series, as it should be. Character designs wise, it fits the mood and feel of the series, so no issues here.

Yuki is love, Yuki is life. :love:

Last edited:
Seriously, a 2.6 on the rating scale? C'mon AP, you're better than this. (Not that I expect much from them anyways) It's at least better than a 3.

well it's people, some hidden gems are low 2 stars whilst some lets say boring mainstream crap is 4-5 stars.

Anyway, yup new art for people to stick their teeth into, i don't deny it's not nice in comparison to the old stuff but got to realise, Kyo ani had no intention of making anymore Haruhi franchise anything, so it's this or nothing.
Honestly whilst i don't deny the art will take some adapting, i usually find it doesn't matter, i don't watch a series for it's art, so whilst it can be nice to have shiny clean art work, i wont loose sleep over it.

As for the episode, i will leave it was a "see how it goes", Seeing Yuki all smiles and excited will take another episode or two to digest (i was expecting movie shy Yuki, this one has more energy xD). not really got the Haruhi series vibe though i knew that considering it's Nagato now, but yeah, nice romantic episode i guess...
a little all over the place dialogue though.

for now, lets see how things go.

Where are you guys watching it? I really want to see this series.

This was a darn good episode. It was sweet, nice heart warming romantic series, as it should be. Character designs wise, it fits the mood and feel of the series, so no issues here.

Yuki is love, Yuki is life. :love:

I was certainly surprised when I went to watch this and it was at 2.6, if nothing else I figured it would get overrated because of Haruhi hype. It definitely wasn't a 2.6. Although, I guess I should be wary of AP ratings at this point after Tokyo Ghoul Root A got a 4.5+.... :flip:

I definitely want to see how it'll all play out.

Well, I never take AP's overall rating seriously, as given by my comment in parenthesis. Thought it be nice to point it out. Otherwise, I have not much to say other than Yuki is Love, Yuki is life.

Yuki is love, Yuki is life.

I'll give my full thoughts on it later, but I'll say this now;

It felt like a fanfic. Not a badly done fanfic, but still a fanfic nonetheless.

Hmm........... Nagato Yuki is one of my favorite anime characters of all time but it isn't this yuki.

This is an alternate universe Yuki and she shouldn't be treated like the same character. for instance, stoic and Hacker character tags don't fit.

I think the entire character list should be overhauled rather than going with the originals..........it just isn't right.......................

I totally forgot to comment immediately after watching the first episode. Oops.

Episode 1

I wasn't too impressed with this episode. Then again, I did watch a fansub version and that definitely didn't help improve my experience.

It was basically just 24 minutes of an adorable Nagato, so I guess I can't complain too much. Unless this takes an extreme turn for the worst, I'll probably be sticking around until the end. I'm guessing this is just going to be a cute slice-of-life and/or romantic comedy focused on Nagato and I'm okay with that.

I'm guessing that this takes place during/around the events of the movie so I am not going to turn against my beloved Haruhiverse by assuming this is just fan fiction..I will wait and see if there is a reveal.

The new character designs are striking though, will take some serious getting used to.

My thoughts on the anime after watching the first episode.
The character designs do bother me somewhat, largely with Kyon.
I think it was entirely plausible for Satellite to make art similar to the art we are all used to, but I think they decided to go with a different look intentionally. Perhaps they based their character designs around the designs of the nagato yuki chan no shoushitsu manga instead of the Haruhi light novels or anime series. If so then it would make sense that Kyons design has suffered the most, because Kyon has consistently been oddly drawn in a whole bunch of different Haruhi fan manga I have read, and he may well have been oddly drawn in the nagato yuki chan no shoushitsu manga too.

Other than the character designs the tone of the anime does seem different, and while I am familiar with the all the Seiyu thanks to a certain Haruhi video game, as well as various Haruhi clips on Youtube, I did watch Haruhi previously in dub, meaning the sound is also completely different for me.

tldr: The only thing that seems familiar to me is the character identities and the setting. It'll be tough to get used to this, as well as treating this as if it were even related to Haruhi, but I'll manage. We'll see what happens next week.

I'm guessing that this takes place during/around the events of the movie so I am not going to turn against my beloved Haruhiverse by assuming this is just fan fiction..I will wait and see if there is a reveal.

The new character designs are striking though, will take some serious getting used to.

From what I've seen is that this isn't in the same universe as Haruhi. From what I've bene told, this is a "spin-off."

Ok, my thoughts:

It was so weird. Everything. Was. Weird. Nagato had more lines in 5 minutes than she did in TMoHS. I didn't expect so much comedy. I expected a serious romance, but I was obviously wrong. The designs are going to take some time to get used to. Especially Kyon. I'm also disappointed that they're not using any of the old songs. Oh well.

And did anyone else notice that Asakura was humming the Hare Hare Yukai song? I thought that was pretty cool.

Well, I'm in a moe-moe-kyun rom-com mood so why not? Kind of want to see how this translates to a broadcast format anyway.

Episode 1
I like this universe/timeline better. Not a Haruhi in sight, except for a ten-second silent appearance. Just the way I like it. :laugh:

And this Yuki is just a riot, especially when interacting with Asakura. The whole "cold hands" thing was great.

To be honest, I didn't entirely like the main Haruhi series but I find this spin-off a bit more palatable. I'm still hoping that some of the supernatural elements from the main series come into it later on though, like alternate timelines and such. (I'm kind of hoping the book Kyon was reading is a hint.)

Still, I'm kind of treating this (as I've treated the manga) as like a incredibly cutesy genre-swap. Not a bad thing, especially since it means less Haruhi. :drink:

Back