Tokyo Ghoul:re

G

Tokyo Ghoul:re
Alt title: Toukyou Kushu:re

Synopsis, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual chapters and first impressions of this manga here. Full reviews should be posted here.

wcg1hv.jpg

I haven't gotten what i've wanted out of the anime thread, mostly because the anime butchered the manga. So, i'm hoping that people who have read the manga will come and we can discuss things. :megusta:

I'll start off with... is anyone reading this, or have they read it? Is anyone caught up and following the sequel?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Toukyou Kushu/Tokyo Ghoul:re

I don't think both manga should be talked about under one thread. It will be confusing and most likely lead to spoilers. I would rename this as Tokyo Ghoul:re and then make another thread for Tokyo Ghoul.

Anyway, I've read the first manga and am currently caught up with :re. We're still in the dark on a ton of stuff, but I have some thoughts and predictions on a few things.

Spoilers up to chapter 21.
1. Hide is still alive. Everyone is freaking out that he's dead, but considering how vague and seemingly forgotten the event has been ever since... I'm pretty sure Ishida is going to reveal Hide's alive during a big turning point.

2. Uta. A lot of people are really upset since he's apparently the "big villain" now, but I think there's more to him than that. I'm really, really looking forward to finally knowing more about him, what he can do, and what exactly his motivates are. I have a feeling that he's actually has good intentions, but goes about it in sketchy ways. That, or he's just a sadistic little punk like he was in his early days with Yomo.

4. Naki. T_T My poor darling. Can't you give him a break, Ishida? I sincerely hope he doesn't die.

3. And finally, Haise. I'm pretty sure almost everyone is in the same line of thought that Haise and Kaneki are the same person. I'm assuming that Haise is the result of some kind of experiment by the CCG. I don't think Kanou is the only one messing around and creating things they shouldn't be. The biggest hint to this is in the final chapter of TG.
bOBjKRw.png

I've never exactly been a fan of the CCG side of things, so :re has been hit or miss for me. I truly do miss the real Kaneki and would like to see him come back for good. That would make a pretty intense chapter.

I don't think both manga should be talked about under one thread. It will be confusing and most likely lead to spoilers. I would rename this as Tokyo Ghoul:re and then make another thread for Tokyo Ghoul.

Anyway, I've read the first manga and am currently caught up with :re. We're still in the dark on a ton of stuff, but I have some thoughts and predictions on a few things.

Spoilers up to chapter 21.
1. Hide is still alive. Everyone is freaking out that he's dead, but considering how vague and seemingly forgotten the event has been ever since... I'm pretty sure Ishida is going to reveal Hide's alive during a big turning point.

2. Uta. A lot of people are really upset since he's apparently the "big villain" now, but I think there's more to him than that. I'm really, really looking forward to finally knowing more about him, what he can do, and what exactly his motivates are. I have a feeling that he's actually has good intentions, but goes about it in sketchy ways. That, or he's just a sadistic little punk like he was in his early days with Yomo.

4. Naki. T_T My poor darling. Can't you give him a break, Ishida? I sincerely hope he doesn't die.

3. And finally, Haise. I'm pretty sure almost everyone is in the same line of thought that Haise and Kaneki are the same person. I'm assuming that Haise is the result of some kind of experiment by the CCG. I don't think Kanou is the only one messing around and creating things they shouldn't be. The biggest hint to this is in the final chapter of TG.
bOBjKRw.png

I've never exactly been a fan of the CCG side of things, so :re has been hit or miss for me. I truly do miss the real Kaneki and would like to see him come back for good. That would make a pretty intense chapter.

Yeah, I've never been a fan of CCG either. That is pretty much the least interesting part to me, and I definitely would love for Haise to regress back to Kaneki.

At the same time, for Kaneki to really accomplish what he wants to accomplish, I think he's better off in CCG than in Aogiri. At this point, I think the best thing that could happen is that Haise regains his memories as Kaneki and is able to become something complete, and not just the crazy monster he had become near the end of Tokyo Ghoul. Rather, the thing he wanted to become during his talk with his child self and his desire to change the world so that Ghouls and Humans can live side by side.

Despite Root A's ending... I also think Hide is alive. The real question is, where is he? It would be something if somehow he also became a Ghoul. Kidnapped by Aogiri during the finale of Tokyo Ghoul.

I do like Uta, he's always been one of my favorite characters. My main problem with him is that I feel like he lied to Kaneki more than we may realize... and I feel so bad for Kaneki because his life was so horrible. :crying:
Why must you be such a jerk Uta? Why...?

I'm pretty sure Haise is confirmed Kaneki, since Chapter 7. Seeing as CCG has a whole prison for just Ghouls, which is used to contain them and keep them alive, meaning they have to be being fed somehow, then it wouldn't make sense if CCG wasn't experimenting on Ghouls as well. They already contained the Ghouls Kagune to Quinque, and have moved past that, creating Quinque that wrap around the body and feed off the body to match Ghouls in strength and speed, obviously they are trying to find out how to match the Ghoul's state in order to better combat them.

Yeah, I've never been a fan of CCG either. That is pretty much the least interesting part to me, and I definitely would love for Haise to regress back to Kaneki.

At the same time, for Kaneki to really accomplish what he wants to accomplish, I think he's better off in CCG than in Aogiri. At this point, I think the best thing that could happen is that Haise regains his memories as Kaneki and is able to become something complete, and not just the crazy monster he had become near the end of Tokyo Ghoul. Rather, the thing he wanted to become during his talk with his child self and his desire to change the world so that Ghouls and Humans can live side by side.

Despite Root A's ending... I also think Hide is alive. The real question is, where is he? It would be something if somehow he also became a Ghoul. Kidnapped by Aogiri during the finale of Tokyo Ghoul.

I do like Uta, he's always been one of my favorite characters. My main problem with him is that I feel like he lied to Kaneki more than we may realize... and I feel so bad for Kaneki because his life was so horrible. :crying:
Why must you be such a jerk Uta? Why...?

I'm pretty sure Haise is confirmed Kaneki, since Chapter 7. Seeing as CCG has a whole prison for just Ghouls, which is used to contain them and keep them alive, meaning they have to be being fed somehow, then it wouldn't make sense if CCG wasn't experimenting on Ghouls as well. They already contained the Ghouls Kagune to Quinque, and have moved past that, creating Quinque that wrap around the body and feed off the body to match Ghouls in strength and speed, obviously they are trying to find out how to match the Ghoul's state in order to better combat them.

Oh, certainly. I think being with the CCG is a very interesting and good development for Kaneki. I'm hoping, and expecting, some good will come of it. Despite not being a CCG fan, I do like the twist.

I have no idea where Hide could be. There's a brief scene where Touka is visiting someone in the hospital, but it's never said who she's visiting. That's always stuck out to me, buuuut... that's a bit of a long shot. Also, what about Amon? I'm not certain anyone is dead until I see some proof. We never see any bodies. Sure, they could have been eaten, but that's most likely what Ishida wants us to think.

About Uta - It's still unclear what all he has to do with Kaneki. We got a glimpse of the clown-masked person at the end of the first series, but we still don't know if that really was Uta. Uta was always very sweet towards Kaneki and I still find it hard to believe that it was all a ruse. He's obviously not being sweet right now, what with the auction and everything, but I'm not against him yet. I am hopeful. :crying:

CCG is really up to some insane stuff, but this whole "Haise" situation really takes the cake. I'd like to know more about the inner-workings of the CCG, especially what's going on with Arima. Also, wasn't Kanou involved with the CCG at some point? I can't remember.

Chapter 24
WHY NAKI? Please let him live, for all that is good. Please. He does not deserve this. T_T

On another, much less sad note, I really love what's going on with Seidou. His design, especially. I think out of all the characters, he looks the most creepy right now. I imagine him and Akira will see each other at some point. I'm looking forward to that.

And no Uta. Disappointed. I want to see him fight so badly.

Oh, certainly. I think being with the CCG is a very interesting and good development for Kaneki. I'm hoping, and expecting, some good will come of it. Despite not being a CCG fan, I do like the twist.

I have no idea where Hide could be. There's a brief scene where Touka is visiting someone in the hospital, but it's never said who she's visiting. That's always stuck out to me, buuuut... that's a bit of a long shot. Also, what about Amon? I'm not certain anyone is dead until I see some proof. We never see any bodies. Sure, they could have been eaten, but that's most likely what Ishida wants us to think.

About Uta - It's still unclear what all he has to do with Kaneki. We got a glimpse of the clown-masked person at the end of the first series, but we still don't know if that really was Uta. Uta was always very sweet towards Kaneki and I still find it hard to believe that it was all a ruse. He's obviously not being sweet right now, what with the auction and everything, but I'm not against him yet. I am hopeful. :crying:

CCG is really up to some insane stuff, but this whole "Haise" situation really takes the cake. I'd like to know more about the inner-workings of the CCG, especially what's going on with Arima. Also, wasn't Kanou involved with the CCG at some point? I can't remember.

Chapter 24
WHY NAKI? Please let him live, for all that is good. Please. He does not deserve this. T_T

On another, much less sad note, I really love what's going on with Seidou. His design, especially. I think out of all the characters, he looks the most creepy right now. I imagine him and Akira will see each other at some point. I'm looking forward to that.

And no Uta. Disappointed. I want to see him fight so badly.

Uta in 26 though.

I'm excited to see how Seidou vs Sasaki plays out. It seems like Seidou is at least partially a replacement for Kaneki.

I want some regressions. :megusta:

Chapter 27
Is... is it time? Is my precious Kaneki going to return?

I love how this is being played out. It's incredibly dramatic and the final page was perfect. I sincerely hope Ishida isn't going to be mean and not continue this with the next chapter. I'm sad to say, but I don't particularly like Urie and wouldn't mind if he truly did get devoured. I doubt it will happen, but I'd much rather see what happens with Seidou and Haise. "Next issue: The Time Draws Near" sounds promising, at least.

Chapter 27
Is... is it time? Is my precious Kaneki going to return?

I love how this is being played out. It's incredibly dramatic and the final page was perfect. I sincerely hope Ishida isn't going to be mean and not continue this with the next chapter. I'm sad to say, but I don't particularly like Urie and wouldn't mind if he truly did get devoured. I doubt it will happen, but I'd much rather see what happens with Seidou and Haise. "Next issue: The Time Draws Near" sounds promising, at least.

Yeah, I'm getting real tired of Urie's shit. He's started to get eaten at least, so there's some effort to devour him. At least it's not like, her looming over him and being like, "Should I? Shouldn't I? Oh noooo, we're out of time. Next time."

Kaneki needs to return, like right meow.
Haise needs to stop resisting and let it happen. I guess I understand his qualms, but it's not like he has two separate minds. I'm not so sure that "accepting" Kaneki will completely consume Haise. I think it's important to become a whole person again, instead of having these two halves anyway. Especially if he wants to make any real difference in the world.

It's not like Kaneki was a dangerous ghoul. He was just kind of doing his own thing. He even tried to avoid unnecessary fighting. At the end of TG he straight out asked if they would just let him go and leave him alone, His primary objective was always to bridge the gap between Humans and Ghouls. I guess, at most, he was unstable. If anything, the "Haise" personality could help stabilize the "Kaneki" part. Which maybe that's what it's doing now... becoming the base personality and providing stability.

But, there has to be a way to regain his memories and full power, without just regressing or being consumed.

Chapter 29
Well, Urie broke. I'm not entirely sure... but he did stab Mutsuki in the stomach, right? That whole scene seemed kind of weird to me.

But the real topic here is Hinami. She looks brilliant and her mask fits her beautifully. Her entrance was quite badass. As glad as I am to see her, I hope that doesn't mean her rescue cancels out Kaneki coming back. I can understand why Haise wants to remain himself, but I agree with you on them becoming a whole person being incredibly important. The suspense hurts.

And where is Uta? Where is my Naki? So much going on at once. ;__;

Chapter 29
Well, Urie broke. I'm not entirely sure... but he did stab Mutsuki in the stomach, right? That whole scene seemed kind of weird to me.

But the real topic here is Hinami. She looks brilliant and her mask fits her beautifully. Her entrance was quite badass. As glad as I am to see her, I hope that doesn't mean her rescue cancels out Kaneki coming back. I can understand why Haise wants to remain himself, but I agree with you on them becoming a whole person being incredibly important. The suspense hurts.

And where is Uta? Where is my Naki? So much going on at once. ;__;

No one cares about Urie. :flip:

I hope Hinami kidnaps Haise and hastens his development toward Kaneki. :megusta:
large.jpg

Uta has be around, here and there in the shadows. They made a point to show his tattoo a few times in the past few chapters. Let him stay there, keep him away from Kaneki. :pokerface:

Chapter 30
;____; The "remember me" bit at the end hurt.

"It's okay if I disappear. So please, give me the power to protect." This is some development. Has Haise finally accepted Kaneki and his power? I wonder how he'll change from that. Will he be able to still go back to his team, going about as usual? Or will we see him slightly different now? This is hard, though. Kaneki has his bonds with the people from Anteiku while Haise has his with the Quinx team, so I'm curious as to what exactly Ishida has planned. He's wonderful at writing this stuff and I'm looking forward to it greatly. I doubt it'll be disappointing.

I'd like to see a good mix of Sasaki and Kaneki. Sasaki is pretty much the same as Kaneki - caring, gentle, dorky, a bookworm, and of course very self-sacrificing, but he needs to get his memories back. For him to be finally stable, with all his memories intact and relationships with both Ghouls and the Investigators... it would be quite amazing. He'd be able to do exactly as he wanted.

No one cares about Urie. :flip:

I hope Hinami kidnaps Haise and hastens his development toward Kaneki. :megusta:
large.jpg

Uta has be around, here and there in the shadows. They made a point to show his tattoo a few times in the past few chapters. Let him stay there, keep him away from Kaneki. :pokerface:

I don't particularly care about Urie, no, but I do care about Mutsuki. Curious about what's going on with those too.

Chapter 30
;____; The "remember me" bit at the end hurt.

"It's okay if I disappear. So please, give me the power to protect." This is some development. Has Haise finally accepted Kaneki and his power? I wonder how he'll change from that. Will he be able to still go back to his team, going about as usual? Or will we see him slightly different now? This is hard, though. Kaneki has his bonds with the people from Anteiku while Haise has his with the Quinx team, so I'm curious as to what exactly Ishida has planned. He's wonderful at writing this stuff and I'm looking forward to it greatly. I doubt it'll be disappointing.

I'd like to see a good mix of Sasaki and Kaneki. Sasaki is pretty much the same as Kaneki - caring, gentle, dorky, a bookworm, and of course very self-sacrificing, but he needs to get his memories back. For him to be finally stable, with all his memories intact and relationships with both Ghouls and the Investigators... it would be quite amazing. He'd be able to do exactly as he wanted.

I really wish we could get multiple chapters. :flip:

I'm not sure how to interpret the end of this chapter, because it seems like he's both denying and accepting "Kaneki." I would love nothing more than to see Kaneki Persona to gain control and turn the tables of Takizawa. "Since you tried to eat me, you can't complain if you're the one who gets eaten?" :megusta:

At this point though, I think the thing I want most is just for him to regain his memories of his previous life. Let him be Haise, fine... But, don't let him forget the bonds he had before. I hate that his past self and past experiences are essentially being wasted and condemned as "evil." The moment Haise Sasaki loses control he is to be eliminated. For Kaneki to do what he wanted, it is necessary to be both a Ghoul & Human. So he needs to regain his "Ghoul-Self."

heys guys quick question

just watchd both series of the anime and loved it

so my question is

is the manga compleat or on going
if its on going how much farther along is it? just alittle , a fair bit or waywayway ahead

heys guys quick question

so my question is

is the manga compleat or on going
if its on going how much farther along is it? just alittle , a fair bit or waywayway ahead

Tokyo Ghoul is complete. Tokyo Ghoul:re, the sequel, is ongoing. I'm not sure how long :re is going to be, but judging by the story so far I don't think it will be wrapping up any time soon. There's a lot going on and numerous unanswered questions still.

If you've watched the anime and are wanting to switch over to the manga, I highly suggest starting it from the beginning or else you'll be completely lost. The anime left out too many important details.

:pokerface:
I am so disappoint in you Grendel. Moreso than when you didn't know what a Burrito was.
So.
Disappoint.

Tokyo Ghoul is complete. Tokyo Ghoul:re, the sequel, is ongoing. I'm not sure how long :re is going to be, but judging by the story so far I don't think it will be wrapping up any time soon. There's a lot going on and numerous unanswered questions still.

If you've watched the anime and are wanting to switch over to the manga, I highly suggest starting it from the beginning or else you'll be completely lost. The anime left out too many important details.

Have you been keeping up with :re? :megusta:
The last few chapters have been glorious.

i shal be reading the manga from the start
il be buying the eng books as they come out but for now ,,,
cant beleve im actully typing this AND meaning
il be reading it online ,,,,,
yes i loved it THAT much

if the manga is way better than the anime ,,,,
then
tbh
my head might explode

then
tbh
my head might explode

There's a lot of differences between the manga and the anime. The biggest would be everything that happened in the Root A, especially the ending. I won't say anything more, but I personally think the manga is far more tragic. The anime doesn't even come close to grasping Ishida's way of storytelling and how his characters work. Plus his artwork is stellar and very fitting to the atmosphere of the series.

then
tbh
my head might explode

Then I have some bad news for you.

scanners.jpg

I watched the first episode of the Anime and immediately marathon'd the manga. So by the time the 1st Season of the Anime finished airing I was fairly disappointed in the result. Then Root A happened and those were bad days....

Anyway... :re has been quite satisfying.

So, I highly recommend reading the manga. I would rather someone read the manga first, then if they really wanted to... watch the anime. But, I would never intentionally put someone through Root A.

upto chapter 15 so far
i can now see how they have shll we say had to short and slightly rearrange for the anime

just notice thie thread is for the squel manga right ?
altho i cant find a thread for the first one

Last edited by a moderator:
Back