Tatakau Shisou: The Book of Bantorra

Quizap

[sadht=Armed Librarians: Book of Bantorra]Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra[/sadht][sadhl=2682]tatakau-shisho-the-book-of-bantorra[/sadhl][sadhdc][/sadhdc]

The OP animation has a VERY Cowboy Bebop feel to it. This show is really mysterious. The CG isn't very good but mysterious nonetheless. It really is a strange first episode, I don't really know hwo to explain it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually really liked that. I liked the atmosphere and setting, it reminds me alot of 1984, everyone is so used to death, they see people exploding and don't really think anything of it, and they refer to those humans as Meats... awesome.

It was more graphic than I it would be in the first ep based on the information I read, but it was... how should I put it ... interesting? Gonna have to watch a couple more.

Did you guys watch the "HorribleSubs" release of it? Were the subs... horrible? I take it they were still pretty bearable considering no one has mentioned it.

Did you guys watch the "HorribleSubs" release of it? Were the subs... horrible? I take it they were still pretty bearable considering no one has mentioned it.

I didn't watch the HorribleSubs one, I deleted it already though sorry, :(.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, watching episode 1 now...

Intro reminds me Shigofumi's and .hack//Roots intro music. Similar style... I guess they were all done by Ali Project.

"decried the value of love!" wtf?

Okay, so, I won't be watching this because wow, I think I'd cry if I had to sit through such bad CG. Even Vandread's CG back in 2000 was better than this.

It's great to start a series with an action scene, but it should atleast look good!

The Director has some massive cleavage going there... something's gonna pop out, jeeze...

I think this series has taken the idea of useless male protagonist to an entirely new level.

Won't be watching because of how everything in this anime is generic and mediocre.

First impressions:
Most of it was bad, in the bad sense of the word. Ugly CG, dull character designs, ugly clothing.
If it didn't surprise me with reasonably well animated action and somewhat shallow darkness (the "Meat"), I would've dropped it already.

Ya.. I rewatched it and I'm debating on whether or not I should even bother with another episode. A lot of it was really bad.

Ya.. I rewatched it and I'm debating on whether or not I should even bother with another episode. A lot of it was really bad.

Honestly, maybe back in the late 90's animation of this quality would be acceptable, but considering the changes that have occurred since then, especially in the switch from cel animation to computer aided animation, there is no excuse for what they put out. I'm not even going to get into the 3D animation, even a blind man would cry after watching it.

ep 4
Wow the train CG is even worse crap than the ship CG :O If they gonna stick with that level of animation, than any possible "epic scene" will be wasted by it... Well that of course assuming they will be able to create anything grand, since the fight they've shown in ep 4 was laughable. Add the dialogue lines like "Are you an idiot? - I don't know" makes the future of this show looks sad...
On a side note I really like the concept of books. Though they wil probably manage to waste this as well :S

It's sad because the animation is great. The character designs aren't anything special, but all the background shots have so much detail and look fantastic, and then they have shit CG. I';m not really bothered by it, but it looks like 90% of everyone else watching the show is.

It's sad because the animation is great. The character designs aren't anything special, but all the background shots have so much detail and look fantastic, and then they have shit CG. I';m not really bothered by it, but it looks like 90% of everyone else watching the show is.

Well that's because it's action show. If this was a slow romance or some slice of life, than sure background > animation. But when the action kicks in, then if it's not animated well, the show looses half of it's purpose.

I dropped it after episode one. Partially because I forgot about it, which is a pretty big thing knowing me, and after watching the first episode a second time it became dull very fast.

Just watched episode 4. I don't know what your talking about with the train CG, it wasn't bad at all, and most of the time it was drawn and not CG. I think the only time you can say how shitty the CG was so far was with the boat in ep 1. The animation is very good, the music is very good, after episode 4, the plot was very good. So far I am really enjoying the show, although I don't know how far I will continue to enjoy it so much, since that arc came to an end.

I was fascinated with Colio's character and his relationship with Shiron. I don't know if he is dead however. I mean, he was impaled on the iron scrap metal, and it showed him with Shiron, but the way the Librarians were talking about him, seemed like he was still alive. Personally, I would like for him to be dead, and the show to end after episode 4 lol.

Just watched episode 4. I don't know what your talking about with the train CG, it wasn't bad at all, and most of the time it was drawn and not CG. I think the only time you can say how shitty the CG was so far was with the boat in ep 1. ]

When it fell down and crashed around 12 min. I'm pretty sure it was CG, and poor one for that matter (especially the explosion once it hit the ground). Or I'm getting blind. But I put my bets on the first option

Hmm don't understand all the hate this is getting, I think it's rather deep and well done, and I dig the look. Currently on ep 7.

So, ten episodes in. There's more plot to this than Sacred Blacksmith, and it's darker and takes itself a mite more seriously... not that it's necessarily a whole lot better. There's some fun bits, though, and I like the current arc's conceit of a guy for whom ants are his superpower.

*shrug* There's enough going for this series for me not to consider it as unintentionally hilarious as Sacred Blacksmith (god I love/hate/adore/love that show so much), but nowhere near enough for it to really be good. While the first episode is plenty ridiculously stupid, the series... well, it just becomes more standardly stupid over time, I guess.

The Acting Director is fun, though, I wish she was in another series. However, she does much good here - when one of our tiresome bishonen-y leads is wangsting and wangsting to his heart's content, she just rips off the offending item from his chest. Well, that, and she's a psychopathic amoral sexy woman who likes killing things. Why is it I have such a weakness for them? There is no doubt something very wrong with me when Haruka Harahara and Revy routinely near the top my mental list of favourite anime females.

Fanservice is shameless almost to point of making no sense - how Noloty keeps her clothes from falling off I'll never know but also sort of hope ceases at an opportune moment. Though shameless it lacks the kitschy humour about it typical to other series, so... I guess, eh.

And for a show obstensibly about librarians, this series is suspiciously lacking in the bookish Yomiko Readman department. Where's the klutzy raven-haired bookworm with big glasses? It's not a series about action-hero librarians unless you have one, you hear me? Le sigh.

In a nutshell: Meh, but why not. I'm bored.

I guess i'm one of the few who likes it. I didn't notice anything particularly bad about the animation quality, but I watch it on a TV that's almost 10ft away from me so I guess i'm going to miss all those [sarcasm] minute graphical glitches that totally ruin the show [/sarcasm]

When there is action it always looks good to me. I think the story is pretty interesting as well. The character design didn't look any worse than what I usually see in anime so no complaints from me on that.

This show is... bland.

The art is ok, there's nothing terrible about the animation that makes me not want to watch it, but there's nothing spectacular going on either. The story is a pain in the ass to follow, characters just seem to drop off the face of the earth for no reason(maybe they'll come back? who knows, who cares). This is like some weird more serious version of d. grayman, except without anything at all to actually pull the viewer in. Hell, even the names are so weird that it can make conversations in the show hard to follow. Hamyuts Meseta? Mirepoc? Volken? wtf? It's just some european language syllables mashed together, I watched the first 13 episodes of this series and off the top of my head I can remember the names of a whopping 3 characters, 1 of which hasn't even been in the show and just rode off into the sunset with zero explanation about their motivation.

This show is definitely not terrible, or even bad, it's just so damn underwhelming... like a bowl of cream of wheat just made plain with absolutely nothing else in it.

Back