Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO: Apocalypse 0079

Setting subscription for this and will enter commentary shortly.

Episode 1
Again, we see the war from the viewpoint of the Zeon engineering forces, 603 Technical Evaluation team. This time, the story of the mobile diver and controllerZ'Gok unit tests.

It's dangerous being a test vehicle pilot! We have yet to see a completely successful test, one that has success of mission of the tested vehicle and a returning surviving pilot.

Last edited:
Ep1
I dont recall a whole lot about the first IGLOO show, so I feel somewhat blind going back in.
I was really impressed by this first episode, far more impressed then what I think I remember feeling with the hidden one year war, in 30 min I became really attached to a marine, and then felt awful and proud at the same time watching him die in the end. To pull that off in under 30 min with some of the most uncanny valley animation is just downright impressive. Im excited to watch the rest of this.

Episode 2
As if these stories didn't feel personal enough, with the introduction of each new ardent Zeon patriot to die with each new weapon tested, this time it gets even more personal - we get Special Operations Lt. Col. Cadillac's younger brother Erwin as a test pilot for the latest in Zeon special weaponry, the Oggo mobile pod. And as usual, the "testing" goes as it always does, this time impacting Monique's tough facade and breaking her down completely. The episode ends with Lt. May seeing some shocking unidentified new weapon being deployed.
Episode 3
So, it seems the mystery weapon was a Zeon developed Solar Ray that decimated over half of the Earth Federation forces. But, as per usual, the war propaganda machine doesn't have everything right - the Federation forces are not nearly totally destroyed and are NOT dead in the water, but instead fiercely and savagely continuing the battle. 603's newest test weapon is called the Big Rang and it was totally modified from its original design to become something entirely different in order to play a role for which it isn't suited. And Lt. May, who has absolutely no combat experience, is chosen to pilot the thing.

Extremely brutal fighting breaks out between the two forces, with Zeon managing to hold their one area of influence, against the Federation forces which hold two such areas. But when a cease fire is called, the Feds don't want to stop, and another bloodbath of the Zeon forces breaks out, with the acting Special Operations captain and Captain Cadillac also enjoined.

It looks like total devastation and loss for the Zeons, but as the Jotunheim effects an escape, Lt. May is seen to be alive, apparently rescued by Cadillac, thus ending the curse of the test pilots. The episode ends with Lt. May explaining his new insights and resolve learned during the last battle, one in which he was an actual participant.

Onward to Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO 2: Juuryoku Sensen / MS IGLOO 2: The Gravity Front for tomorrow. Created a thread for this discussion here.

Didn't enjoy this one quite as much as I did the Hidden Wars, but not enough to knock it down a half star, soI am giving my final rating for this series, Apocalyse, as 3/5 also.

Last edited:
(im a bit behind, not too big a deal as i dont think ill be behind for long)

Episode 1
Well, at least the openings better in this one then it was in the first Igloo, still not that good though. I still cant get over the fact on how much i don't like CGI animations, although i suppose the CGI is good, for what it is. Ah well, the whole Z'Gok think failed (i forget, why was that whole thing relevant?) ...Another failure, oh well, at least those two characters are really likable. I have to keep reminding myself that this is from the perspective of the villains -_-. Well, the final attempt ended with the Lieutenants death, and we find out that his grandfather didn't really die in the ocean. Overall, i liked that episode.

Episode 1
Well, at least the openings better in this one then it was in the first Igloo, still not that good though. I still cant get over the fact on how much i don't like CGI animations, although i suppose the CGI is good, for what it is. Ah well, the whole Z'Gok think failed (i forget, why was that whole thing relevant?) ...Another failure, oh well, at least those two characters are really likable. I have to keep reminding myself that this is from the perspective of the villains -_-. Well, the final attempt ended with the Lieutenants death, and we find out that his grandfather didn't really die in the ocean. Overall, i liked that episode.

I think your missing some of the point by reminding yourself its the villans. one of the thigns that makes UC gundam so great is how grey everything is, Neither the federation, Zeon, titans, AEUG, or Neo zeon get out with clean hands, they all have solid points, They all want what is best for their citizens, they all go to far. Just because the Zeons are the opposing force of the MC of 79 gundam, does not make Zeon the villans.

History is written by the victors.

Ep 2
fuck man, the animation was so uncanny that when I was supposed to feel for the brothers anguish at watching a comrade die, all I could do was laugh, The characters and emotion of the VA actors makes me feel, but the animation of mental pain here...kills the feelings that im am supposed to feel. The sister watching her bro die was similar. You feel the personal loss yourself, and burst out laughing watching the awkwardness. I have been so impressed by the other emotions in the animation, they have been on point, but... god damn, the most important one is just lacking.

Ep3
alright, ill admit, I got all sorts of teary eyed thinking they died. Man what a hell of a ride, Much better then the Hidden One Year War

Im debating 4/5 or 4.5/5... I feel like 4 is to low, and 4.5 is way to damn high... the animation of episode 2 really hurt the show.

Last edited:
I think your missing some of the point by reminding yourself its the villans. one of the thigns that makes UC gundam so great is how grey everything is, Neither the federation, Zeon, titans, AEUG, or Neo zeon get out with clean hands, they all have solid points, They all want what is best for their citizens, they all go to far. Just because the Zeons are the opposing force of the MC of 79 gundam, does not make Zeon the villans.

History is written by the victors.

Ep 2
fuck man, the animation was so uncanny that when I was supposed to feel for the brothers anguish at watching a comrade die, all I could do was laugh, The characters and emotion of the VA actors makes me feel, but the animation of mental pain here...kills the feelings that im am supposed to feel. The sister watching her bro die was similar. You feel the personal loss yourself, and burst out laughing watching the awkwardness. I have been so impressed by the other emotions in the animation, they have been on point, but... god damn, the most important one is just lacking.

Ep3
alright, ill admit, I got all sorts of teary eyed thinking they died. Man what a hell of a ride, Much better then the Hidden One Year War

Im debating 4/5 or 4.5/5... I feel like 4 is to low, and 4.5 is way to damn high... the animation of episode 2 really hurt the show.

I actually -like- this kind of CGI animation, but it's NOT what I was expecting for Gundam and it -does- have its limitations, especially noteworthy for some of the facial emotional animations.

I'm not overly familiar with the Gundam universe yet, so was unaware that the Zeons are supposed to be the "bad guys" although I vaguely thought that the Federation is supposed to be the "hero" ... but since the story focus HERE in these OVAs is Zeon Principality, then they just ARE the good guys for me, at this point in time. I'll prolly switch over that line of thinking when the stories start focusing on Earth Federation MCs.

I actually enjoyed Hidden Wars a bit more, although it was a bit hard to get into the story at first since we are basically just dumped into this war with not much in the way of backstory or explanation. I felt Apocalypse was too centered on trying to manipulate my emotions with their character development, rather than helping to advance the plot forward, and I resent a bit having my emotions blatantly manipulated. So, not highest marks from me... yet. The potential seems to exist, if they ever bring plot/story development forward the way they are focusing on characters.

I actually -like- this kind of CGI animation, but it's NOT what I was expecting for Gundam and it -does- have its limitations, especially noteworthy for some of the facial emotional animations.

I'm not overly familiar with the Gundam universe yet, so was unaware that the Zeons are supposed to be the "bad guys" although I vaguely thought that the Federation is supposed to be the "hero" ... but since the story focus HERE in these OVAs is Zeon Principality, then they just ARE the good guys for me, at this point in time. I'll prolly switch over that line of thinking when the stories start focusing on Earth Federation MCs.

I actually enjoyed Hidden Wars a bit more, although it was a bit hard to get into the story at first since we are basically just dumped into this war with not much in the way of backstory or explanation. I felt Apocalypse was too centered on trying to manipulate my emotions with their character development, rather than helping to advance the plot forward, and I resent a bit having my emotions blatantly manipulated. So, not highest marks from me... yet. The potential seems to exist, if they ever bring plot/story development forward the way they are focusing on characters.

Episode 1
NP on being behind a bit, just try not to fall so far behind that you feel you need to give up watching! Try to catch up when you can!

Episode 2
Oh snap, that part when the Special Operatives Captain (i think hes a captain, anyways, the guy in the black suit that operates the mobile suit) outstretched his hand was really creepy. Holy crap those solders look really young. Oh shit, are they related? :O they are! I have a bad feeling about this. Yep, her brother is so screwed, being sent out with so few people. and now, time for battle. Aand, hes dead.....or not? Wait, nvm, hes dead. Well, that episode would have been a great episode, if the face animations weren't awful that episode.

Continuing...

Episode 1
So we go into the sea this episode. I like how this episode ended up. I guess in the end it was kind of a success but not? Hmmm... well I liked the character in a way.

Episode 2
Uh oh, after all these deaths they are going deep now, so many tricks around the end but the thing happened, I gotta say it was kind of ridiculous how it was portrayed, but I think it looks ridiculous in movies with actual actors too sometimes, so I'd still say the CGI was good. PD I'm still not sure what side we are on. Oh and I agree when the guy stretched his hand, it looked pretty creepy and cool.

Episode 3
I liked this episode too, this one probably my favorite, I thought they were just going to end it there and I was totally fine with it haha, but hey I guess this is a good ending. Though not being an engineer lieutenant sounds lame heh. I liked the end bits where a kind of report was recapped by Oliver, it was nice. It kind of told you what the actual results of the "mayhem" was. Also I liked the design of that red super looking awesome thing big bangarang.

Basically, pretty good. I'm having a hard time rating these as I don't know what the basis should be, and I haven't rated anything in a while, so I just went with what I thought was fitting, kind of.
Also the random colors chosen are definitely manly.

Back