Major - The Movie

VivisQueen

[sadht]Major - The Movie[/sadht][sadhdc][/sadhdc]

OMFG OMGF IT'S OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUT!!!!!!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! :!!::smile::love:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm at 1:26 hours (counting down), and I'm lolling so hard.
Goro's like hitting walk-off homeruns with every strike. Hahaha! Marvellous.

Anyone noticed the lovely soundtrack to this? Floating strings, pumped brass, ominous drums... all that messianic stuff this show deserves. ^_^

EDIT: Also, nothing like a jealous rival to spice things up. LOL.

At 43 minutes (counting down), and that coach int he green just made me lol so much. What a face!
Goro pitching is indeed like seeing the manifestation of the Christ.

Last edited:
Just finished it, another Major masterpiece :love:
In the beginning I was wondering if I had the right movie, since the beginning is way past Major S1 (or even S2), though it's a good thing that I can now look forward to him playing in the bigger leagues :P
Among my favorite moments in this movie: the talk with that Koga girl in the school, and how he was slowly blowing his arm away in the match just to name a few, but there are too many good moments in the movie ^_^
Glad I now finally know how he ruined his shoulder (just finished watching S2)
The only thing that annoyed me was how the Koga-girl (was her name even mentioned?) was voiced, it just felt unnatural.

The soundtrack was good, although it wasn't very memorable imo.

Edit: (43min, counting down)
Haha, indeed, it's a face we get to see pretty much everytime someone sees him for the first time.

The only thing that annoyed me was how the Koga-girl (was her name even mentioned?) was voiced, it just felt unnatural.

Ain't that the truth. I mean, her voice was deeper than that of the boys'. @_@

I don't know what it is either, but she irritated me.

Ain't that the truth. I mean, her voice was deeper than that of the boys'. @_@

I don't know what it is either, but she irritated me.

I thought you'd like her, tbh. Voice-wise, she reminded me a lot of the girl in Koi Kaze, and I remember you being fond of her seiyuu. Anyway, the character's name was Megumi, and she was voiced by Miasko Renbutsu, who's much more of a live-action actress (though still very young). She sounded far more subdued than the other characters, which is probably what you guys are picking up on. Though I do agree, the voice sticks out a little.

As for the film itself, I was not impressed, and I think there's a couple of reasons why. Certainly I felt as though it eschewed much of what made Major good - the character development in particular - to make way for fist-pumping, cookie-cutter shounen action. Goro was simply too Messianic for it to be entertaining, and the problems that the Kogas had with the Shigenos blew over far too quickly and easily for my tastes.

Some stuff was good. The matches were animated fantastically, and the sights and sounds of Goro slowly wrecking his right shoulder were excellently done, lending some drama and immediacy to the end of the game. Aside from that though, I didn't take too much home from the experience. A little bit lackluster overall. This film is more or less what I was worried Major Season 1 would be before watching and falling in love with it.

In response to therik:

While I wouldn't condemn it in such strong words, having now finished the movie, I regard the best part to be the games and the show's unwavering gusto. Everything else (characters, plot, twists) sort of hovers at a 6/10.

It was enjoyable, but it was Major without all the great characterisation. The baseball scenes, however, were indeed wonderful. The music, the animation, the acting, it all blended so perfectly to create this stupendously rousing atmosphere. But the attempts at developing the characters or creating any kind of drama outside of the games were cheap and superficial.
I don't know how many times shounen shows will get pregnancy wrong. No, you don't nearly die everytime you carry a baby, and in fact, you can do most things - work, walk the dog, fuck jog if you want - without collapsing in a faint and having to be carted off to hospital. *rolls eyes*

There was a nice theme of hard-working fathers, which I thought was quite original, but other than that, this is Major-lite. This is Major taking a little nap before putting its all into the next inning. All the fun bits, none of the gravitas. 7/10.

Ye, the character development wasn't nearly as strong as in the series. It somehow didn't bother me at all though, probably because of the length. I'd almost go as far as saying I enjoyed this as much as I enjoyed the first season, almost, not quite.

7.5 to 8/10

The late man (due to west coast USA love)
First off, it was a solid movie from a series. All too many of these movies fall inexplicably flat compared to their TV counterpart. The animation (especially the baseball action) Was stepped up. The story fit nicely. And looks like it nestles into the timeline without a loop hole.
On that note.
Seeing that I have only seen season 1, I was a bit afraid of it spoiling too much of the future.
Which in all reality I do not think it did. I mean, it would not take a degree in physics to figure out that Goro was going to be
farther along in his career
But, why put in the first season characters if they were not going to ever see him? It felt like they were added as an afterthought.

The music was gloriously pomp, and very exciting. Almost too exciting. Almost like an orchestra on crack.
Moving on...
I loved the correlation between Goro and his "new" dad.
once again it is Shigeno who gives another man of the Honda house a new idea on what he can do with baseball.
He should get an award for it.

I agree with Omurqi. The sister had an unusual voice to say the least. I half expected her to produce a pack of cigarettes somewhere in the show.
Also there are two boys who greet Goro in the hallway that are part of the team. One of them sounded like a chipmunk. I think "he" could have done better in that girl's role.
It was not just that she had a deep voice. Her delivery was slow. Like a bottle of dry ketchup. Was she was hit by a baseball?

I liked the rival.
Now, he might have almost used a baseball as a leathal weapon, but he ended up being a good guy in the end. Let's just forget about that hard thrown ball at Goro's dad OK?

One last note on the story. Why bother with introducing that kid who also pitches?
That bitch is never used. "Go back to the end of the bus ,kid, your story is not important enough." (hell, we know more about the opposing pitchers background than yours. :P)

Here is something I liked a lot about this show though. It is very realistic about baseball. You do realize that Goro, is given a First Baseman's glove when he is sent to 1st right? It is webbed differently. They dont forget the small stuff like that. I enjoy that sort of thing.
He is also given
that Left pitching glove at the end
Control of a pitch, and how a ball is thrown is also different in a rain game. Now, most of the time a game is called or postponed in professional play for Baseball. It also happens in many Little League games. But there are plenty that will play through it. Especially in areas that have a tenancy for rain, and or if it is not that heavy.

Anyhow, once again this is a great show for drama and baseball (and sounds used, like Therik said or the father son aspect like Vivis said) I do feel it would not be able to stand completely on it's own without prior knowledge of the TV show, but it gets a thumbs up from me.
Thanks for the selection.

Last edited:
Back