Tribe Cool Crew

Episode 1:

So this is basically Step Up the anime for kids or if you're old like me then it's Breakin'/Breakin'2: Electric Bugaloo the anime for kids.

And I didn't really hate it. The dancing and music were fun and had a lot of energy Even if both were very repetitive in the end. The characters are cardboard cutouts and the plot is very formulaic so any time they weren't dancing things started to get boring pretty fast, but it was a set up episode after all. Maybe if this turns into them meeting a quirky new dancer each week to have a dance off with then this can be a little bit of fun, but they're going to have to vary the dance moves and music a bit more or things are going to get repetitive fast.

Pretty much I don't mind that this is a dance movie that has divorced itself from the typical bullshit teen drama that drives the genre in favor of being more kid friendly. The character designs aren't great but would appeal to a younger audience and the anime is quite colorful with okayish animation. The first episode does drag a bit in places but not enough for me to mentally check out.

So overall, I'd say I enjoyed it a bit even with the lacking characters and dull setup. It's not something that is going to appeal to everyone though, but hey at least the lead is basically Gon in a real world setting.

I guess we can all pretend this is some kind of origin story with all the kids going from innocent hip hop dancers to poorly animated violent gang bangers in between seasons.

Just think even Bumpa was a kid once after all. Long before the GOOSH, GOOSH.

Episode 2:

This episode was incredibly dull.
The whole episode was one big cliche about Rhythm being afraid to dance in public as herself rather than on Y-T videos. However, the worst part was I waited the entire episode for the big dance off and it didn't happen, instead I have to wait until next episode.

I thought the dancing was fun last week, but watching the very tiny bit of the dance concert this week also made the dancing looking very unimpressive. It's done in CG which matches the already crappy animation of the show and it's just really slow looking with no really impressive moves. There was an egg shaped man that danced this episode and I expected something funny out of him but his moves were also pretty damn dull.

Also, I am sure the moonwalking cappa was a child molester.

I won't dump on this show too much because it is a kids' show, but there's really no entertainment value here for an adult. The dancing is dull, the music is generic dubstep and everything else is completely Saturday morning cartoon formulaic.

Episode 3:

This was better than the second episode, this show is much more fun when they are actually dancing. Repetitive music aside, the dance moves this episode were more varied and the whole dance battle was fun. I think this episode also hits on point that a lot of dance movies miss when it comes to syncing with the music and not just having the fanciest moves. I guess dance movies do tackle this in the form of "feeling the music" but this explains it in more concrete terms and made it a lot easier to see the difference in during the battle. The kids were ever so slightly off with their moves when it came to syncing up with the music and that's why they lost.

It's also kind of funny this ten year old kid now sees this grown man as his rival, but I guess that's just the silliness to be expected from a kids show about hip hop dancing. I kind enjoyed the episode overall even if it is just kids stuff.

I have fun imagining that after Hunter x Hunter ended Gon got a new hair cut and took up street dance.

Episode 4:

A kind of amusing training episode. The various body exercises were all pretty amusing and you could see how they'd encourage kids at home to want to practice the basics. Other than that there wasn't much to the episode. The kids meet up with two of the dancers they met last episode to discuss how they got into dance and everyone loves hip hop dancing so much. It's all cheesy but to be expected from a kids show.

Episode 15:

I actually really liked the breakdance training montage this episode. The way they used the silhouettes emphasized the characters movements which made it one of the most expressive dance scenes in the show so far. I was happy to see it too because the dancing tends to get rather monotonous with the same song and the same CG moves.

The plot for the episode was pretty cliche backstory but it was engaging enough to hold my attention. For the most part this show is pretty good if you go into it realizing it is a formulaic kids show.

Episode 18:

Well that was a silly, sit-com plot for an episode. I know this is a kids show and most episodes try to embed a small moral, this episode was ridiculously ham fisted about it. The episode didn't even pretend to have anything to do with dancing. Although I guess kids do need the lesson that people having different opinions is good thing, especially in the internet age.

I do wish more characters would do a dance to represent their frustration though. Entertainment would be a better place.

Episode 26:

Holy shit there was a ton of dance this episode and even though it had nothing to do with the plot I found the episode to be a ton of fun. The drunk stumble dance was pretty damn hilarious.

This is a series where the CG fits pretty well with art direction of the series. All the dancing is done with CG and while it is just as crude as in other anime, I think it fits with the bright colorful world and outlandish character designs.

For a Sunday morning kids cartoon this remains pretty entertaining. I'd prefer there was more dancing with more varied music, but I get that stuff is limited by budget constraints.

Episode 30:

I wasn't expecting krumping.

Also, I love that Dance Jesus is apparently the most influential figure in this world and constantly under threat of haters assassins.

Back