Log Horizon 2

GekoHayate

[sadht=Log Horizon 2nd Season ]Log Horizon 2[/sadht]

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

All things aside, this is one of the best franchises in terms of capturing the feel of old school mmos and their players, and I really appreciate the detail the author Mamare Touno has put in in this rspect (An mmo vet himself, and apparently was in an internationally ranked raiding guild). It is very reminiscent of Everquest and Ultima Online, two games that really made the genre.

Definitely one of my most anticipated anime of the season, until I saw that Studio DEEN tag. Hopefully their legendary adaptation butchery skills are a thing of the past... cause I really want to enjoy this season. The one positive is that the gratuitously Engrisch filled OP, Database is said to make a return!

Counteraction isn't the only thing thats rising :megusta:

Airs October 4th HAHA Brad! I made the thread! mwahahahahahaha!

DEEN did the new ROZEN MAIDEN which was a good adaptation though, it sold poorly only for the source material and it's very awkward semi-reboot semi-continuation position in the franchise.

They were very faithful to Sakura Trick and it did poorly because the source material wasn't good to begin with.
( 4koma adaptations need some creativity to be good DEEN.... be creative with 4koma & faithful with other things, gah. )

So if they take the ANIMATION QUALITY from Rozen Maiden
and the faithfulness of Sakura Trick we might get a good anime.

So about a 1 in 50 chance.

The next arcs are going to be more action apparently even when faithful so it's not like they have to put in more action to please shounen(tards). Still I want DEEN to pull this off, they don't really deserve it with the the directing history they have, but honestly Rozen Maiden: Zurückspulen did deserve to sell better than it did in the end if they bloody make this with that quality than this should be good, but it's DEEN, it's more likely that they fuck up massively.

I finished watching the first season last week, and found it to be a pretty enjoyable show, if not a little boring in spells, and with more than a couple annoying characters. But mainly it was a very good representation of MMO's, and an example of how to adapt one into the anime medium.

I tried reading the thread for the first season, and had to nope out after half of it because the amount of nonsense people were writing in there made me angry. I feel like this season will likely be the same, but at least i'll be around to argue back this time :laugh:

So yeah, i'm looking forward to more anyway. Even if DEEN being the new studio makes me want to throw up.

And screw your white text. If you have something to say, say it to my face, like a man!

Oh you know my feelings on that..."thread" full of "mmo vets" and "logic" :laugh:

Glad I'll be a contemporary for the season, maybe I'll be able to properly vent!

The PV showing Kannagi is a bit interesting to me, because I thought her story was a Gaiden only released on the Author's webpage or whatever. If it is its kind of cool that its being added

I'm also a little interested to see how they'll adapt Tetora, and there are a few other characters I'd like to see animated but I'm not sure if they'll make it in this season (I have zero sense of the pacing/content chapter # covered last season) although with DEEN its tepid interest at best.

My hopes for October season on riding on this and Fate/UBW

*Edit* The new character designs aren't that bad the more I look at them, they are certainly more detailed than Satelight's versions but Maryelle in the PV had some serious lack of quality compared to the rest of the shown images... it doesn't invoke a sense of confidence when thats in the PV

The animation and CG in the first season looked about on Deen's level so it's not really worry about them making the art worse. It's how they are going to adapt the story and the characters. It's not like Log needs top notch animation since it is more about the strategy anyway. It's just a question of pacing and not overexplaining everything. If the first season had one big flaw it was that there was nothing it would explain just once, everything got explained several times which ended up padding out the run time.

Poor consistency with visuals is a big thing for me, I tend to be visually oriented... it'll probably affect me more than others. Satelight wasn't that great either by any stretch of the imagination but the bigger the gap the more it kills my immersion.

And that being said, I wish there was more to discuss aside from the visuals :crying:

There certainly was a tendency have redundant explanations though, and it would be great if the expositioning got polished.

Oh yeah, the show had a fair amount of problems in it, but very few of them had anything to do with the MMO aspects of the show, which were mostly handled really well. DEEN getting it kind of makes me wary that we'll see an increase in mundane conversations between the superfluous side cast, terrible jokes and maybe extra fanservice.

Oh yeah, as Brad says 90% of my issues with the first thread was the decrying of terrible logic pertaining to the mmo aspects, which Log does actually does very well. DEEN indeed has me worried about excessive fanservice, an unnecessary focus on certain side characters, more of that Akatsuki/Naotsugu type repetitive gag comedy, and if not mundane conversations at least conversations irrelevant to what is going on.

Oh yeah, the show had a fair amount of problems in it, but very few of them had anything to do with the MMO aspects of the show, which were mostly handled really well. DEEN getting it kind of makes me wary that we'll see an increase in mundane conversations between the superfluous side cast, terrible jokes and maybe extra fanservice.

That does indeed sound like Deen. They seem almost incapable of making anything that's not boring. It'd be even worse because the fan service-y side characters in Horizon were all pretty cringe to begin with. I doubt anyone wants to see more of Marielle molesting Akatsuki kicking Naotsugu because he said something stupid for the 100th time.

well, the first season was a snoozefest for me with the lack of a goal , thinking its much smarter than it is and all the SoL nonsense so i am only watching it is because i watched the first season. And to add insult to injury, DEEN got their hands on it so excuse me if i am not being too optimistic.

I doubt anyone wants to see more of Marielle molesting Akatsuki kicking Naotsugu because he said something stupid for the 100th time.

Henrietta, but with DEEN we may very well see a switch to Marielle being the dress-up gag lady

And screw your white text. If you have something to say, say it to my face, like a man!

Surprises add fun! You filthy casual

well, the first season was a snoozefest for me with the lack of a goal , thinking its much smarter than it is and all the SoL nonsense so i am only watching it is because i watched the first season. And to add insult to injury, DEEN got their hands on it so excuse me if i am not being too optimistic.

Oh you can not like the series, thats fine. Everyone has their tastes and seeing DEEN on any series is a kick in the balls regardless. As long as you aren't making ridiculous complaints like "its unbelievable that every max level player isn't pro at their class" as a reason why the show fails we're good.

Cause if you did I'd have to laugh hysterically then point you to literally every multi-player game ever, cause 90% of virtually every player base is flat out bad at said game. Its these kinds of comments and analyses from the original thread that Brad and I are talking about.

Last edited:
I enjoyed most of the first season, but the ending soured me. Incoming rant in 3.......2.....1 They jumped the shark, polar bear, and couple of zillas to boot, with that
superevil lady that SOMEHOW - nano machines, perhaps - had hidden her insaneness and black rotten evil from anyone outside, managing to build her own little empire. She would have problems buying a friggin ice-cream without attracting suspicion! But hey, let's build an empire in a vacuum! We're keeping it all hush hush, though! sigh

I liked the first season, they have alot of attention for the MMO aspects and the strategic side instead of the action side was nice aswell
Im looking forward to season 2

I enjoyed most of the first season, but the ending soured me. Incoming rant in 3.......2.....1 They jumped the shark, polar bear, and couple of zillas to boot, with that
superevil lady that SOMEHOW - nano machines, perhaps - had hidden her insaneness and black rotten evil from anyone outside, managing to build her own little empire. She would have problems buying a friggin ice-cream without attracting suspicion! But hey, let's build an empire in a vacuum! We're keeping it all hush hush, though! sigh

:seriously:

She appeared a whole what, 4 minutes in the entire season and half that contradicts your rant...

Those kids loved her story-time, and she openly walked around that festival with no trouble...

Uggggh, I have all of the faith that Deen could fuck up a wet dream, but they couldn't possibly pick a worse OP, right...right?

:seriously:

She appeared a whole what, 4 minutes in the entire season and half that contradicts your rant...

Those kids loved her story-time, and she openly walked around that festival with no trouble...

You may be right.
It's been a while, but I reacted to our protagonist - being a great tactician - being completely unaware of her uprising.

Back