X TV

VivisQueen

[sadht]X TV[/sadht][sadhl=65]x-tv[/sadhl][sadhdc][/sadhdc]

Here begins the discussion of the FYAB X TV buddy group. Naturally, this is a public forum so absolutely anybody is welcome to join in the discussion whenever they wish. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
I really liked the premise of the series, the idea that an elite group of saviors (Dragons of Heaven) would square off against an equally elite group of destroyers (Dragons of Earth) to decide the fate of the earth. Though the general idea isn't anything new to the apocalyptic genre I thought the specifics were unique and interesting.
However, I ended up dropping this anime more than half-way through. Why? ANGST. ANGST! OHHH THE ANGST!!! Ok so I could have handled the angst. But then came the subtle yaoi overtones. Time and again there would be two boys holding one another just after a battle, clutching one another tightly with glossy eyes. Especially the two Kamuis. The big Kamui would be all domineering, chuckling while he lorded over the little one. Then defeated and in the arms of his belov-, err best friend the little Kamui would cry out in pain....then stare with those characteristic glossy eyes at his ex-lov...best friend.
LOL. Anyway did anyone else have the same problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
You completely missed the most important point:

YOUR AVATAR IS REINHARD VON LOHENGRAMMMMMMMMMM!

*ahem*

Can't wait to read your spoiler once we finish the series. ^_^

-_- Planetes and Legend of the Galactic Heroes are in your top five, you say? Good call (and where were you when everyone was talking about those shows?).

Anyway I can't say I have enormosly high expectations of the series; I expect it to be an angsty bishounen fest or something with no horrible bloodshed at all. Well, maybe some weird symbolic torture if the film is any indication (please tell me it is).

You completely missed the most important point:
YOUR AVATAR IS REINHARD VON LOHENGRAMMMMMMMMMM!

That is indeed an important point! How silly of me :baka:

LOL. And yeah I almost ruined it for you guys...I added the spoiler tags in an edit...I'm glad you didn't read my whole post in the 33.28 secs that it was up.:@_@:

-_- Planetes and Legend of the Galactic Heroes are in your top five, you say? Good call (and where were you when everyone was talking about those shows?).

Thanks! I enjoyed both of those series tremendously. I only recently finished LOGH. Your review persuaded me to watch it by the way. And you were practically spot on in your analysis.

I'm not new to AP, but I've only recently begun to frequent the forum. You'll be seeing me....
Anyway I can't say I have enormosly high expectations of the series; I expect it to be an angsty bishounen fest or something with no horrible bloodshed at all.

Hmm...getting warmer

Well, maybe some weird symbolic torture if the film is any indication (please tell me it is).

.....colder

I expect it to be an angsty bishounen fest or something with no horrible bloodshed at all.

Well it will mainly be bishounen fest, but I wouldn't gief up hope on bloodshed just yet ;]

and to AnimeAA:
If you just gave up because of Kamuis, Subaru and Seichiro yaoing all over the anime you missed some very tasty plot parts. Like Sorata story or Karen story, Yuzuriha story or even Hinoto story - they are getting more focus on them somewhere after ep 15-16, and they are defienietly worth watching - specially Sorata one.
So if it's only the Yaoi that drive you away - gief it a second thought, since this title is a bit more than just that :]

Well animeAA, I'm glad my review helped and even more pleased that you enjoyed Legend of the Galactic Heroes. It's really one-of-a-kind.

Oh and glad to hear from Swagier that, in fact, there will be blood. (And it better not be at the very last couple of minutes after a stupid milkshake speech.)

Last edited:
Episdoe 0:

Meh. Thank goodness I'd watched the movie, otherwise this preview predestination thingy would have spoiled a shitload. The animation is beautiful, I must say, although I don't care too much for the character designs. Still, the contrasts in colour and gothic approach are as eye-catching as they were in the movie. There's blantantly a nice budget behind this.

Now let's hope they invested in a decent scriptwriter too.

Episode 00
I'm guesssing this is one extended fanservice moment for fans of the manga. Hey, it's that character in that scene doing that thing, and now it's that one doing this or that! Hence the '00'.

Naturally I didn't have the slightest clue what the hell was going on; though I sense a fairly cheesy melodrama in the works (which I'm cool with, incidentally). Love the gothy artwork and the gratuituous use of weird symbols, though I'm a sucker for those sort of things.

Looking forward to Episode 1, which I assume will be the first time I could ever follow something in an X production.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why Episode 0 even exists. It's basically just one big spoiler-heavy trailer for the entire series. They just took a whole bunch of clips from the later episodes and piled them together into a single episode....

Well... ok, so maybe I can guess why it exists, but I'm sure you know what I mean. It's quite annoying that they would do that... as if they assume everyone watching is already a fan.

Szwagier: as per your advice I think I may give it another go and push through; at some point anyway.

BTW I wasn't even aware that there was an episode 00...

Episode 1:

Okay, this show is CLAMP at its clampest. There is no doubt about it, the budget for this was generously given and liberally applied. I mean, the way Kamui climbed that fence was smooth as fuck. Not to mention I'm enjoying every moment of explosive action/magic, particularly the way that card turned into a crow was cool. It's an ostentatious show, just like the movie (the imaginatively named Divine Sword looks like some tasteless fangirl put it together using sticky-back plastic and a Fairy Liquid bottle), but with the more normal pace and less crushed-together characterisation, you can savour the animation magic a lot more.

On the plus side:
- Kamui has personality, sure he's a wanker, but he's not Casshern
- ANIMATION YUM
- Kotori and her brother are less annoying here than in the movie, hell, they're almost normal and likable

On the minus side:
- this is going to be a cheese fest (whether it'll be tolerable cheese is yet to be determined)
- I know I won't like any of the secondary characters - too many of them and they all have shit gimmicks so far (I mean, magical pet dog???)
- all of the Japanese voice acting sounds irritating

Episode 1

As far as the magical doohickery is concerned I still have no idea what's going on - well, okay, there are broad strokes of a plot in that I can infer that Kamui and the girl with the long white hair aren't on the best of terms, but I could hardly explain any of it to you. Much like the first episode and the movie, this episode keeps throwing characters at me scarcely trying to say who they are or what their relevance is to each other or what the plot is really... which I'm fine with, I gather it'll all make sense in time.
Looking forward to the death of the pet dog shown in the last episode, it looks hilariously cheesy.

Now to be fair there is a whole strand of the episode that made perfect sense, which was the 'OH ALSO THEY'RE EVERYDAY SCHOOL-STUDENTS' bit. It's stunning to see an anime where they can juggle their school identities with a weird mystical one involving incomprehensible apocalypses.

I mean, the way Kamui climbed that fence was smooth as fuck.

Not to mention that shot of him standing on that tower at the start, which was apparently so good they had to show it twice.

- Kamui has personality, sure he's a wanker, but he's not Casshern
I'd say he's kind of Light Yagami-ish so far. Self-important 'normal' teen with superpowers who is just too cool for the girls and too angsty for this world.
Also he goes to the same school AS HIS MORTAL ENEMY - which I believe is what Monou is, isn't it? Hm. Never seen that plot before.

Yeah, Kamui's too cool for school! Haha.

Regarding Fuma, I think the point is that neither of them knows yet that they'll be each other's mortal enemy. In the movie, Kamui was just plain nice guy and Fuma was disgustingly bland before turning cornily evil. So it seemed that Kamui was emotionally wounded to see Fuma become his enemy.

Here it appears Kamui doesn't give a shit either way.

Episode 2
Okay that girl was way too old to be taking baths with her father within recent memory. -_- Yeah other things happened in this episode but that's easily the most memorable bit.

Anyway characters fight each other with precious little provocation though at least they exposit identities and offer lame comic banter while doing so. Plus: The barriers have been explained. However: Please explain a lot more soon.

X Movie spoilers (but also this episode)
A big deal this episode is whether or not cold, angsty Kamui is the real Kamui. I seem to recall there being two Kamuis in the movie; Princess Hirono is pretty certain however that both the Kamui in the apocalypse and the current one are the same and real... are they then both the fake Kamui or are both Kamuis really Kamui?

She also admits her dream may be wrong so that's a possible third option but I'm doubting it, no series with prophetic visions turns around and says they're a load of crock.

I have no idea what I'm talking about either. Also with characters gabbering incomprehensibly about being part of 'The End of the World' while they do battle I'm getting major Utena flashbacks - which looks like it's going to be a good rec for this series.

It'll make sense eventually. Although, the plot doesn't really come together until about halfway through the series, for the most part it's almost entirely based around character development and build up until that point. Then it turns into a big pile of heavily dramatic angst/violence as those characters are pitted against one another in the name of destiny, whether they like it or not.

I figured as much.

Don't get me wrong, I love confusing stuff (Lain is in my top five for a reason) but X TV so far is confusing without making me particularly interested in why that is. It's merely ridiculously convoluted rather than a good aul fashioned mindfuck.

It's an angsty gothy show aimed at teens - what exactly were you expecting?

Episode 2:

I remember the movie very well, so I've found none of the plot thus far confusing. If you care for me to spoil it only using details from the movie look here:

Hinoto is one of two prophet-type-thingies who each take a side. The other one (can't remember her name) is her sister who wears black. Hinoto leads the good side. Evil Sister leads the bad side. Also on each side are seven? dragons (all the random people who are gathering to fight incl Baseball Cap Guy and White Coat Dude) who have to choose which Kamui they'll accept as the real one and support using their powers. Their role is simply to bump each other off in dramatic, pointless battles to add a little BANG BANG to the whole conflict - culminating, of course, in a final battle between Kamui and Fuma. Needless to say, it'll be a death per episode until that point.

Regarding the Kamuis (I think 'Kamui' literally means 'God'), there is only one real Kamui, but nobody is yet sure who it is. It's either Fuma or Kamui (CLUE'S IN THE NAME DUMBASS!). Anyway, Evil Sister chooses Fuma, and Hinoto, the clever girl, chooses Kamui. One guy will end up destroying the earth for all its sins, and the other will prevent that destruction. Another clue: Fuma starts off good but slowly turns evil and accepts his new part-time job as World Destroyer.

Oh, and Kotori will just end up a tragic sacrificial victim at some stage (it's Fuma who - GASP - ends up killing her).

Anyway, I'm enjoying Kamui's James 'broody bad boy' Dean act. It's just fun. The fight between the dragons did nothing for me; most likely it's just a taster to slip in some exposition about how it works. But it was all flash and no tension. In the movie, the dragons all felt incredibly flat, and here they haven't exactly shown themselves to be otherwise. I guess we're only at episode 2, but meh.

It's an angsty gothy show aimed at teens - what exactly were you expecting?

Coherence? *shrug* I don't dislike X TV by any means though, it's a pretty decent watch so far.

Regarding the Kamuis (I think 'Kamui' literally means 'God'),

Apparently. Wikipedia says it's the Ainu word, so it might have a slight air of exoticism for the Japanese audience, where kami obviously wouldn't. Same deal I expect with those crucifixes that appear in dream sequences and the movie and so on - because if Evangelion taught me anything it's that gratuituous Christian references are cool.

Oh and I saw the movie like two weeks ago and I don't remember it was well. -_-

Back