Brynhildr in the Darkness

Re: Gokukoku no Brynhildr

Episode 1
It's actually pretty decent for a first episode. Glad to see that the fan service until know is far less than the PV's did imply. I'm looking forward for the next episode.

Oh, so it is out already. It looks like AniChart got the starting date wrong on this one.

I'll check it out later and comment. Hopefully this one will be decent despite fanservice and whatnot. Putting in a vote of faith in Okamoto Lynn.

Ep. 1

Is this a comedy? Because I was laughing so much I forgot this was supposed to be all serious and stuff...

Episode 1:

Wow, that sucked, the entire episode was completely cringeworthy. It was full of horribly forced dialogue and cliches trying to establish the characters. The episode struggles so hard to make you think the main character is smart, but he comes off as reckless and stupid. This episode didn't do a single thing right. This is easily the worst first episode I've seen of the ones I've started this season, so congrats on Arms being Arms.

The main character has so many stupid lines this episode it's hard to count them all. First off, why the fuck doesn't he just ask if she has a mole instead of asking to see her armpit in front of the whole class? It makes him see like a child with no impulse control. Then when a girl almost dies at the pool, but there's a spontaneous collapse that saves her, he just says "you don't see that every day."

Other great lines:

I'll just go see if I die.
If I die then it'll prove she was right.
I don't then she isn't right!

Ugh! He is seriously awful, but she isn't much better with her shitty attempts at being mysterious. Constantly blushing her way through the episode, she is horrible at keeping her identity secret and I have no idea why anyone would send her on a mission where she needs to be all hush, hush.

Just a horrible episode, filled with stupidity.

^ Judging from that reaction it sounds like it's just another crappy ARMS adaptation. Yeah, I'm probably going to avoid this one then, thanks ZK.

Episode 1:

Wow, that sucked, the entire episode was completely cringeworthy. It was full of horribly forced dialogue and cliches trying to establish the characters. The episode struggles so hard to make you think the main character is smart, but he comes off as reckless and stupid. This episode didn't do a single thing right. This is easily the worst first episode I've seen of the ones I've started this season, so congrats on Arms being Arms.
It's definitely not the best start, but it wasn't that bad neither. To be honest, I did expect worse because of ARMS. Also, what do you mean, full of forced dialogue? Their was almost only interaction between the two main protagonists.

The main character has so many stupid lines this episode it's hard to count them all. First off, why the fuck doesn't he just ask if she has a mole instead of asking to see her armpit in front of the whole class? It makes him see like a child with no impulse control. Then when a girl almost dies at the pool, but there's a spontaneous collapse that saves her, he just says "you don't see that every day."

Other great lines:

I'll just go see if I die.
If I die then it'll prove she was right.
I don't then she isn't right!

Ugh! He is seriously awful, but she isn't much better with her shitty attempts at being mysterious. Constantly blushing her way through the episode, she is horrible at keeping her identity secret and I have no idea why anyone would send her on a mission where she needs to be all hush, hush.

Just a horrible episode, filled with stupidity.
So you seriously mean that you won't panic of some sort if you see someone who you thought was actually dead? Nevertheless, I agree that it seems to be a cheap manner just to introduce an embarrassing moment.

As for the "I'll just go see if I die." moment, I honestly was also lost on that. :P

It's definitely not the best start, but it wasn't that bad neither. To be honest, I did expect worse because of ARMS. Also, what do you mean, full of forced dialogue? Their was almost only interaction between the two main protagonists.

Well, that's what I mean most of the interactions and dialogue between them felt either forced or really generic. For the most part the dialogue was either something really cliche or him making jumps in logic to prove that he was oh so smart.

So you seriously mean that you won't panic of some sort if you see someone who you thought was actually dead? Nevertheless, I agree that it seems to be a cheap manner just to introduce an embarrassing moment.

As for the "I'll just go see if I die." moment, I honestly was also lost on that. :P

Yeah,
I could see someone panicking when they see someone they thought was dead, but this is the same guy that later in the episode was told he was going to die if he left the observatory and he leaves anyway out of curiosity. Now normally, he might not want to believe her, but this is the same day a he saw a chick in his class almost drown. If someone told me I was going to die the same day I saw that, then I'd be freaking out.

So is the the coolheaded guy that can go strolling after he is told he's going to die? Or is he the guy that flips a handle when he sees someone that looks like someone he might know that's supposed to be dead?

It's just my opinion that this episode was atrocious and I was just trying to give my reasons. I watched it with my girlfriend and she spent the entire episode laughing at the dumb bits of dialogue. To me the show appears very poorly written and this was sloppy even for an introductory episode.

^ Judging from that reaction it sounds like it's just another crappy ARMS adaptation. Yeah, I'm probably going to avoid this one then, thanks ZK.

:laugh::laugh: It is indeed Arms doing what it does best. I was really hoping for something better after the PV, but those can be pretty deceiving. It's always one of us that has to take the bullet on these things. Last season you got stuck with both Mahou Senshou and Hamatora, but at least I could avoid them thanks to you. :drinking:

ZetsubouKaiji said:
Yeah,
I could see someone panicking when they see someone they thought was dead, but this is the same guy that later in the episode was told he was going to die if he left the observatory and he leaves anyway out of curiosity. Now normally, he might not want to believe her, but this is the same day a he saw a chick in his class almost drown. If someone told me I was going to die the same day I saw that, then I'd be freaking out.

So is the the coolheaded guy that can go strolling after he is told he's going to die? Or is he the guy that flips a handle when he sees someone that looks like someone he might know that's supposed to be dead?
Hmm, you got a point with that...

Episode 1

Well, it's watchable... but I really dislike it when I get the feeling that the creators are trying to write a character that is essentially smarter than they are and they can't really manage to make him feel smart and need other characters to tell the audience how smart that character is.

Also; deathwish much?

Episode 1.
It had promise at the start...then the Neko chick turned into your typical blushing Tsundere with superpowers. And the promise vanished. Oh well. At least it looks like there's some form of action to keep me entertained.

On a secondary note.
...Seriously? Kuroha Neko? Oi.

On another secondary note.
Moles can be removed, pinhead. She's got a frigging Matrix hole in her neck and he finds the missing moles weird...

Last edited:

This first episode was just okay...I really liked Elfen Lied though, so I'll place a little trust in Lynn Okamoto and keep watching for now.

I'm really amazed with the opening though. I constantly find myself pulling up the music to listen.

Episode 1
It was an ok episode but I felt as if they really wanted to fit all that into the first episode and for me it came out as too pushy.

The boy was really stupid with the wanting to see if he'll die thing.Of course he may be thinking that it was a lie but he also said he mostly believed her which is really contradictory with all the establishment of his character saying he wants to grow up and live to prove there are aliens for his dead friend.I thought the transfer girl will be quiet and mysterious but turns out she has a whole bucket of emotions.Or blushing.Didn't expect that.

The animations is nice and I wasn't hearing the OST as much so I can't comment on that.

Overall,it wasn't a bad first episode but it felt as if they wanted to fit too much information in your face.I hope it'll make up later because it seems as this could be really good.

^ The OST is very light and cheap sounding. The OP has the best song, but the animation is stock footage from the show. This thing was made on a budget and it shows. The animation was okay in the first episode because everyone was standing around and talking. Let's see how bad the animation looks when action happens.

ep1 -
I liked a lot about the first episode: the artwork, the atmosphere, the mystery ...
I'm a little surprised by the reactions here. Yeah, a lot of the statements and actions were illogical, but for me it's a little like Angel Beats - if you get caught up in the emotions of the moment it's easier to overlook the gaps in logic. And MC's clearly been living with a crushing guilt for ten years, so it makes sense that his reactions are not completely rational.
I liked the way they used knowledge of an ordinary multiplication table to explain just how alien Kuroha's thinking is. Not sure if I can believe in the blushing ... she'd be more credible as a stony-faced robo-girl until she assimilates.
Getting a pool episode right off the bat complete with zoom-lens focus on Kuroha and coarse comments from the watching boys was a little off-putting. Hope there isn't too much more of that.
Sticking with this for now.

Episode 2:

This show has no sense of pacing or atmosphere, which makes some of the scenes in this episode come off as down right despicable. The completely inappropriate nudity and badly timed comedy combined with the heavy handed attempts at being shocking makes this show reek of desperation and trying too hard. One example of trying too hard would be the blonde's voice box choosing that moment to flip out and sound like a demonic goat, which ended up just sounding really silly after she was revealed. However, the worst of it was the way too graphic death of the witch followed by the girls squealing over cake, it made the entire episode come off as completely tone deaf and poorly written.

Speaking of bad writing the characters are completely random and make no sense. The characters do things just for the sake of the plot and feel really inorganic. Kuroha deciding to go to school after everything is completely out of character for her. Meanwhile, the main guy comes off as a creepy stalker. The poorly written dialogue really hurts the characters because it all sounds so artificial. The dialogue is really unpleasant to listen to and the poor voice actors are struggling to get in some genuine emotion.

The episode moves at a snail's pace with little or nothing going on. The characters are too random for any kind of development, so instead the show is spinning its wheels with bad comedy, when something supposedly dramatic isn't happening.

Lastly the animation is really weak. The Kuroha dance scene was really jerky and unintentionally funny with her unnatural movements. It was supposed to be cute, but it looked so damn clumsy.

This show is completely incompetent. The plot, characters, pacing, OST and even animation all suck pretty hard at the moment. The show can't keep a consistent tone and the atmosphere it's trying to set is damn confusing due to the tone deaf writing. Horrible episode.

Episode 2

This is completely insulting. Whoever did this pile of stink saturated crap does not know how to write/direct to save their lives.

Graphic scene in one frame and cake eating in the next? You gotta be shitting me. Not to mention the MC is a compulsively obsessed birdbrained fuck.

Back