Re: Cutie Honey

tumblr_mqe16w4sjR1rhzceao1_400.gif

Episode 1:

*Drools*So fucking gloriously fabulous and awesome! :love:

This fired on all cylinders being as insanely frantic and absurdly energetic as it possibly could, was everything I could have hoped for. I absolutely loved the stylistic flair this had going on and every action sequence was a good dose of zaniness. Also seeing Honey literally hop a motorcycle off a missile, the bombastic crazy attacks and hamtastic villains kept a grin on my face. Hell I wasn't even bothered by the fanservice and it didn't feel the least bit intrusive, it was actually pretty entertaining in it's own way. It's nice as well that Honey has literally no shame at all when she flaunts that sexiness while she fights and not giving a shit.

Some of the references back to the old series and shout outs I also really liked, doc Panther came to mind when she was mentioning splicing people up. The characters themselves were a lot of fun too, Honey was abundantly bubbly but purely great in her own raunchy way, Seiji now seems like a pretty suave cool customer and I enjoyed tough tsundere police woman Natsuko which was a nice addition to the original cast. Also the character designs of the villains were plain hilarious and as ridiculous as some of them look they felt quite fitting with the general crazy feel.

There were a lot of good moments but ones I personally loved was the whole dark room thing with that evil looking butler and Honey just deflecting oppai missiles with her own chest, I think my jaw dropped when that happened. I mean really how often does someone do that and proudly, I swear I had to pause for a moment to process it. And as cheesy and overblown some of the lines were it worked out so fantastically well in conjunction with everything else in my opinion.

It was tons of invigorating fun for a first episode and now looking forward to the rest.

Last edited:
^ agreed , Seiji is MUCH improved.

Ep1
Holy... this show is the spiritual bridge between Diebuster to TTGL and Kill La Kill.

If it actually was aired before Diebuster I would not know.
I did look and knew it had to have a director in common with KLK, and sure as shit it does.
So much to cover, must use builet points.
*The useless Chibi-cops had me rolling.
*Honey doesn't skip school now, she skips work.
* her ugly boss dresses like Lupin (and shits blood when Honey ditches her job)
*The bad guy merged and had drills... so much spiral power!
*Sister jill looks very interesting.
*The Doujinshi festival with the Dick swinging boy and Balls Boy My god that was a riot.

and finally, Seiji will destroy her if things go bad? Sounds a lot like the Biker in KLK
The Inspector was a welcome addition. She has some killer moments.

Love That sketchy scream. Gainax has also used this in TTGL/Diebuster I am pretty sure.

Props to Kaiji for suggesting the continuation.

Last edited:
Episode 1

At first I was like
32H4OdU.gif
And then I was like
odu9bpj.gif
but by the end...
3Mu5SFC.gif

Episode 1:

Now, this is how you do an energetic re-imagining of a series.
This managed to retain so much of what made Cutey Honey good, while making sure to add its own touches and originality. The colorful art style reminded a lot of Panty and Stockings as did a lot of the more risque humor, especially Penis man and Ball man, that's the joke that came completely out of left field and just me laughing so hard.

I also really like the reinterpretation of the Honey and Seiji. I thought it was cool that they gave Honey a lot more personality, especially when she showed signs of that boiling rage she has for Panther Claw. The main series used showed Honey's personality through her actions more than anything with very limited facial and vocal expressions, but here Honey is much expressive when she speaks with people. I like her bubbly and somewhat airhead personality here and I also like how they changed her backstory so she's still rather new to the world, having only been active for about a year. It also seems that they're now going to tie her story a little tighter to Sister Jill, which should be interesting. The other great thing about Honey was her transformations, which actually felt a lot more relevant and much more useful here, not to mention there was much greater variety to them. As much as I loved some of her transformations in the series, most of the time they looked and were used like cheap disguises. Here, when she became Racer Honey, she was actually great in vehicles. I loved when she jumped that missile that was just ridiculously cool and over the top. Here the costumes actually radically changed her appearance so they actually function as disguises as well so I really loved this part of the OVA. Also, I guess they had to make Honey an office worker now because it would be kind of weird to have her naked all the time and still be a 16 year high school student. I thought the office scenes were good because they were brief and funny while they lasted. Although I think her boss should see a doc, blood isn't supposed to shoot out of your ass like that.

Then there's Seiji who was a much better character here as well. Cool and collected, he wasn't anything like the doofus in the series and it looks like he actually has a reason to be involved with Honey as he knows about her past and the end suggested he was supposed to be keeping an eye on her. I like that they are making him more deeply involved with her story and now he serves an actual function in the plot. It's a bit of a shame that there's no Danbei, but maybe he'll show up in the next couple of episodes and it's fine with me that Junpei went the way of the useless teachers. Although, did anyone else think that Penis man looked a bit like Junpei?

The new police detective is a massive improvement over any of the school characters from the series. She was a fun addition to the cast, because she's someone that can be more than a person Honey has to constantly save. She's tough and no non-sense which makes he kind of alone among the useless police force. She's strong enough to fend off the panther men, but not so strong that she can go head to head with the monsters. She's miles above the teachers, especially because even though she remains stubborn in the end, she doesn't just go right back to trying to arrest Honey.

The variety and designs of the panthers in this episode was pretty damn awesome as well. Gold Panther was the standout, loved the breast missiles or how Honey managed to pop her after she inflated or Honey's little crack that Gold had thrown away her femininity. The villains managed to add a lot of energy to this and the chaos they created gave this episode it's almost manic feel.

And then there were the references to the original series. Did anyone else spot the teachers on the TV? Then there was Honey killing the villain with her signature sword between the breasts just like she killed most of the Panthers in the TV series. There were a lot of other references to characters and even other anime, but I'm sure we'd have to watch it again to catch them all because a lot of them flew by quickly.

This was everything I'd hoped for and actually a lot more. I was just in my happy place for the entire episode. I loved it to bits.

Episode 1

Honey should be naked all the time she is on screen. :megusta:

At first I was turned off because I am generally not fond of this type of anime, but I considerably warmed up by the end and found myself amused, which is a good indicator I won't have problems with this.
They made Honey super obnoxious and the inspector whatever lady didn't get my fancy at all. Although the new take on Seiji is more than pleasing.

And yuck Jill the fuck they did to you here?
I genuinely feel I will be the party pooper of the group. :frustrat:

Episode 1

Honey should be naked all the time she is on screen.
I genuinely feel I will be the party pooper of the group. :frustrat:
If she was naked most of the episode it would be kekko kamen.
And not to fear, I totally remember watchimg this first episode and marking it dropped. I think I had to warm a little to the zanny. But for some it can be like Dead Leaves. Too much nuts.

As for shout outs....
1238350098632.gif

Still, honey must be pretty tough to absorb those propelled rockets.

Episode 1:

That was obnoxiously fun and all, but the characters are leaving me a bit cold. I'm not really feeling the new Honey since she is kind of overbearingly bubbly. Natsuko is pretty cool, but kind of your usual straight-laced policewoman getting angry at everything all the time, and Seiji just plays the boring pervert part, though it's obvious that he knows a lot more than he lets on to the rest of the cast.

Some of the fanservice was a bit over the top for me, but mostly I barely noticed it because it meshes so well with the high-paced antics of the show in general.

I kind of hate you now.

Only kind of? My feelings are hurt.

I'm really looking forward to see what kind of craziness the next episode pulls out. It seems like Honey is going to have to defeat more than one of the panther generals next episode since there are three more plus Jill and only three episodes.

Also something I didn't mention before but the Panthers
are now "just out to have fun." This is one change I didn't like from the main series, although I suspect there's more to this and we'll find out about it in the next couple of episodes since Seiji was hinting at a link between Jill and Honey.

^Yeah I am wondering if she will take on 2 or so bosses next episode.

Episode 1:

That was obnoxiously fun and all, but the characters are leaving me a bit cold. I'm not really feeling the new Honey since she is kind of overbearingly bubbly. Natsuko is pretty cool, but kind of your usual straight-laced policewoman getting angry at everything all the time, and Seiji just plays the boring pervert part, though it's obvious that he knows a lot more than he lets on to the rest of the cast.

Some of the fanservice was a bit over the top for me, but mostly I barely noticed it because it meshes so well with the high-paced antics of the show in general.

I kind of wonder if Seiji is
Going to be the real catalyst to make things happen later. Not the power, but he will enact something that will cause the endgame.
I will say, we probably will not get amazing character development on the Police woman. I could be wrong though.

Episode 2

I liked that a little better than the first (though i also liked that a lot), we actually had some kind of character development with Honey thinking herself a nuisance to everyone, and everything takes a sinister turn when men go around hunting young women in case they're Honey. The whole getting nude and hugging thing was a bit weird, though it makes it weirder for me when Seiji is around to perv.

Speaking of Seiji, we still don't really know who he is, but when I see him I'm reminded of Aikuro from Nudist Beach in Kill la Kill, obviously belongs to some other organisation that we don't know anything about yet, withholding information from all the main characters, ready to kill Honey if needed at any time.

Cobalt Claw was a great enemy, just wanting to fight for the purity of fighting, Scarlet Claw was too but in a way that she schemes more. And I'm glad that Sister Jill will seem to have much more to do with the story in this than just sending different claws after Honey one at a time. I hope she has a better death than the series too.
Also, judging from the preview of the next ep, it looks like what me and GenericUser have been hoping for
GAINAX ENDING!!

Episode 2:
Hmmm this was a pretty interesting episode, it had a noticeable change in style and direction in comparison to the first, definitely did feel less crazy and that by no means is bad at all. Although something to note is they did have a different director for each episode which I found kinda neat.

Some serious drama is introduced and I actually liked that they show self-doubt creeping into Honey changing her happy-go lucky self through the whole negative rep she was getting. The relationship dynamics between Natsuko and Honey was handled well too, much better than I would have expected and I think the development between the two had it's own personal charm to it without being all that mushy. Speaking of support characters, Seiji doesn't really seem all that perverted and I think he's been the most tame and subtle in his reactions, still a solid character I've liked so far.

Then there was Cobalt Claw, another wacky S/M themed villain and we had Scarlet as well, together they made for a pretty fun villainous duo. Also it looks there's going to be a lot more plot development soon than what I was originally anticipating, personally I can only find it a good thing. The for fun factor that drives Panther Claw seems to certainly be dissipating into an ulterior motive as well, although I'm really excited about Sister Jill and Black Claw coming into the picture as they just look spectacularly sinister in design.

Overall I enjoyed this quite a bit even with the change of tone and mood.

Last edited:
Back