2016 Anime Viewing Challenge

kotokuki

Welcome to the 2016 Anime Viewing Challenge

color-divider-hi.png

This is a simple club! I've created the15-point list below of anime in which you have until January 2017 (or a year from which you started) to complete. This reaches out to anime lovers alike. The list asks participants to explore outside of their comfort zones, but it also is very vague. That means that it doesn't just work for 2016, or must be started in January (So please keep this in mind if you ever want to challenge yourself in general). Obviously I'm a bit bias, but it's even a good list to do repeatedly. The vagueness also allows each person to personalize the list to their own needs, from individual bullet points to the overall list!

Examples of personalizing bullet points:
"Long running" - Person 1 says 100+ episodes; person 2 says at least 4 seasons
"Published this year" - Person 1 says 1 anime; Person 2 says 1 anime from each season
Examples of personalizing the overall list to make it harder or easier:
All bullets must have a pink-haired character
Only counts as a completed bullet if personally rated above 4 stars
Complete the list three times over within four months.
Allow an anime to be used for more than one bullet (e.g. One Piece for "long running" and "fandom")

If this does gain interest I would love some help in creating badges from "participating" to "completed!" Below are the images and the links to the list. You can add the actual list to your profiles on Anime-Planet (you can see an example of this on mine) or any other site. Since I'm credited already on it you're more than welcome to actually use the check mark boxes, write on it with your anime choices, etc.

If interested all you need to do is comment below!
Feel free to also include:
Edits/personalization to your list
What anime you are using
When your estimated completion date is
Updates to your list
Anything else you can thing of!

I hope you all enjoy!!! Thanks for participating!

gradient-divider2.png

33ote2h.png

http://i63.tinypic.com/33ote2h.png<-image link for 2016 Anime Viewing Challenge

I'd prefer you use my photo, but if the image isn't appearing on your computer here is the list again.
2016 Anime Viewing Challenge in text form:
[] an anime published this year
[] an anime completed this year
[] an anime you’ve been meaning to watch
[] an anime recommended to you
[] an anime that take places outside of Japan
[] an anime from a studio you’ve liked previously
[] an anime you can finish in a day
[] an anime released before you were born
[] an anime that has a related manga
[] an anime you previously abandoned
[] an anime outside of your usual genres
[] an anime that intimidates you
[] an anime you’ve already watched at least once
[] an anime that is or was long running
[] an anime with a large fandom

If you're interested in participating via manga check out 2016 Manga Reading Challenge.
http://i66.tinypic.com/289gazb.png<- photo link to individuals doing a mix of the two challenges.

Last edited:
Re: Anime/Manga Challenge

I want to try it 0-0
Can I just leave this here as a Checklist? I'll complete it both with manga and anime hopefully XD
[X}an anime published this year Dagashi Kashi (In Progress)
[X] an anime completed this year: HaruChika
 an anime you’ve been meaning to watch
 an anime recommended to you
 an anime that take places outside of Japan
 an anime from a studio/author you’ve liked:
 an anime you can finish in a day
 an anime released/published before you were born: Gunbuster
 an anime that has a related manga/anime
 an anime you previously abandoned
 an anime outside of your usual genres: Taimadou Gakuen 35 Shiken Shoutai
 an anime that intimidates you
 an anime you’ve already watched/read at least once
 an anime that is or was long running
 an anime with a large fandom

I can also make badges, I made some for another site doing a similar thing so I can easily make some here xx

Last edited:

Yes! You're more than welcome to do so. I hope you enjoy and I'm excited to hear about your exploration!
And thank you for the assistant with badges.

Oh, I have no time to do this, but it seems so much fun!!! I was using as an excuse that I couldn't create a Custom List since the bullet points were in image form and not text so I couldn't copy it at the top of my list... but here is a text version!!! No more excuses.

So, even though I have no time to do this, I'm gonna just see how far I can get into this! I'll keep my progress noted in the Custom List I create.

I'd like to try your challenges as well. It sounds like fun. Both of them.

Questions:
1. As far as the book Challenge goes. Do Wattpad e-books count for the reading challenge (when it is possible)?
2. With previously abandoned titles one... do those go for ones that you consider stalled or do that have to be ones that you dropped completely because you would never willingly hurt your eyes watching them again? (*looking up at kotokuki with pleading desperate eyes*)
3. When you say manga do you include manhwa/Manhua or is it strictly Japanese manga?

Anyway Sign me up I would like to do both. I'll post something on my profile about the challenge and I look forward to the banners or badges.

I plan to personalize my lists by using your suggestion to only allow each anime/manga/book to be used for one bullet point. Otherwise it's a bit too easy.

2016 Anime Challenge

My Anime Challenge List

I'll put in bold what I have completed and you can check out the link to my list: here
 an anime published this year
 an anime completed this year
an anime you’ve been meaning to watch
 an anime recommended to you
 an anime that take places outside of Japan
an anime from a studio you’ve liked previously
an anime you can finish in a day
 an anime released before you were born
 an anime that has a related manga
 an anime you previously abandoned
an anime outside of your usual genres
an anime that intimidates you
an anime you’ve already watched at least once
 an anime that is or was long running
 an anime with a large fandom

2016 Reading Challenge (no longer will post it here just on my profile.)

I look forward to seeing other people's lists too as the year progresses :happy: Oh and one other thing, maybe later you could think of adding a comics category too.

Last edited:

casandra29 it is a pleasure to have you! To answer all three questions, you can do whatever you feel fits best for you. You are the boss you just have general guidelines. So I'd say
1. OF COURSE!
2. Take those pleading eyes away I caved before you even asked lol
3. I included them all personally soo... YES!
That is a very good idea. I don't really participate in the comic book world, but you're more than welcome to make another list (you should be able to do a majority of the reading challenge with comics) or edit some points to address this world that slipped my mind
Enjoy!!

This sounds fun! Hopefully i don't get lazy lol

:crying: why is every anime before 1983 a space movie/anime? I am trying to choose anime to have it be more challenging for me since I have done only manga so far...but space movies are usually not my thing. :sweat:

I'm still looking but wish me luck okay.

Update: Tried 3 different anime that looked decent but I struck out. I'm going for manga in this category this time.
-One was a suggestion from someone I know... super dimensional fortress Macross... I watched 2 episodes... I may try it again later at another time... I know Robotech has a big following though. I figured even though it was a space movie I'd try but I couldn't get into it.
- I then tried Lupin the third. The show reminded me of Speed Racer. Just the main character was more shady and ran from the police instead of worked for them. Honestly speaking. I could watch this at some point. However, the beginning and ending songs where they just repetitively sing Lupin in different pitches drove me crazy. I need those parts completely cut from the version I would watch or I could only stand watching a couple episodes a day so I am only subjected to the horrors of that song a few times each day.
- Then I tried Devilman. I watched a couple episodes. I could probably watch all of this one easier than the other 2 I mentioned but that is not saying much.

*If anyone else has a suggestion for an anime from before 1983 that is not for Little kids or space/futuristic/mecha please give me suggestions!

Last edited:

I just finished reading Miriam from 1983. I found it because it was by the author of From Far Away which is one of my all time favorites. Except that one came out in 1991. It's actually really good. I appreciate the anime suggestions. When I try to go through the list a second time. I'll probably go for Tomarrow's Joe or Captain Harlock (It's a space anime, but it looked fairly interesting)

p.s. Kotokuki - I saw you liked Red River.... you should try From Far Away if you have not already,. It's got a similar premise and is one of my all time favorites. It came out in 1991. (you can use that as an online suggestion if you wish.) : )

Well I'm glad you satisfied the bullet point!
I added it to my list of "to read" it looks fantastic. Thank you!!

I realize I should update as well without using my original post!
Here is my updated list as of 4-27-16, 15/15 Complete

[X] an anime published this year - Garakowa - Restore the World
[X] an anime completed this year - ERASED
[X] an anime you’ve been meaning to watch - No Game No Life
[X] an anime recommended to you - Tokyo Ravens (subject to swap out - prefer a personal recommendation)
[X] an anime that take places outside of Japan - Rokka no Yuusha
[X] an anime from a studio you’ve liked previously - MADHOUSE: Sunday Without God
[X] an anime you can finish in a day - Charlotte
[X] an anime released before you were born - I found it in the video store and I got so excited! I watched Kiki's Delivery Service! A childhood favorite <3
[X] an anime that has a related manga - Nuraihyon no Mag: Sennen Makyou
[X] an anime you previously abandoned - Technically I abandoned Beyond the Boundary (subject to swap out - prefer dropped from disinterest instead of time)
[X] an anime outside of your usual genres - Kotoura-san I even stalled it like crazy from boredom lol
[X] an anime that intimidates you - Your Lie in April -I love music and the arts, but I want authenticity in performance abilities. This show had so hype for style and art that I had such high expectations I was worried it wouldn't meet it as a performer and art student. Please to say it did! 5/5
[X] an anime you’ve already watched at least once - Bleach
[X] an anime that is or was long running - Hana Yori Dango (51 episodes in 2 days is a lot for a binger like me)
[X] an anime with a large fandom - Sword Art Online

I'M ALL DONE!!! WHEEEEE and not a moment too soon with me moving to Thailand and all <3

I'm also participating in the manga version!

Last edited:

i'm gonna copy you and share my list here
I still haven't finished making the list though </3

an anime/manga published this year - Ajin
an anime/manga completed this year- Osomatsu-san
an anime/manga you’ve been meaning to watch/read- K-On!
an anime/manga recommended to you- Little Witch Academia
an anime/manga that take places outside of Japan-Cowboy Bebop
an anime/manga from a studio/author you’ve liked-
an anime/manga you can finish in a day-Bride of Deimos
an anime/manga released/published before you were born- Kanashimi no Belladonna
an anime/manga that has a related manga/anime- Kuragehime
an anime/manga you previously abandoned - Tokyo Ghoul √A
an anime/manga outside of your usual genres- Daily Lives of High School Boys
an anime/manga that intimidates you- Highway Jenny
an anime/manga you’ve already watched/read at least once- Gangsta.
an anime/manga that is or was long running-
an anime/manga with a large fandom-

I have mine copied in spoiler tags in my first post and on my A-P profile as well.

wow, spookybrows your almost all the way done! Congrats. I'm not even 1/2 way done with my anime and manga... I would have been closer to being complete as well if I had choose to do only manga on my list cause I read all the time, but I am stuck on Monster the anime right now. I'm watching it slowly. I like Gangsta a lot as well. I have been reading the manga. Do you read the manga or did you watch the anime or both?

kotokuki - My progress is closer to yours right now as far as anime/manga is concerned. I love these though cause it's a good way to check out new stuff. I leave links on the list in my profile but I haven't done the links on the forum to my completed reads/watches yet. I hope we get more people participating.
A question, I think new people cannot join the forum at the moment. If a newbie is interested in joining but cannot post here, can they still join by sending them to your A-P profile? (I have nobody in mind at the moment, but in case someone asks.)

spooky brows - WOW you are kicking butt. With how fast you're going through this are you gonna repeat it over again or call it quits? Seriously you could probably make this a monthly challenge for yourself hah.
casandra29 - I agree. It's been nice to see what others are doing. And I hope so as well. It'd be nice.
To answer your question yes they're more than welcome to contact me, but they're also more than welcome to just take it and not report to anyone too. whatever they'd prefer. I just meant for this to be some incentive to watch/read different things, and hopefully a conversation starter (not necessarily on here even or with me). But to answer you question yes anyone can reach me at my profile. I didn't even know the forum was currently closed to newbies, but I also don't stay well informed either.

wait hold on, are we meant to note them down if we HAVE watched them, cus i just noted them down so i know what TO watch. I havent started watching them yet, i was just making my list so i know what i'm gonna watch when i get to it have i messed up already <///3

casandra29- I watched the anime to gangsta, saw the ending, and went straight to the manga lol

Hahah spooky brows you're fine to accomplish it however you choose! It was our misinterpretation lol. I'd recommend putting Xs on the left to acknowledge when you do complete it.

Guys I only need 8 more spots filled to completely my anime/manga list! ...although I haven't started the reading one hah.

Back