Alien Nine

Taek

Alien Nine | Anime-Planet

Discuss etc.

Episode 1 & 2

Well that was unexpected, even with being warned about it's... unexpectedness.

I like it, I think, and it's nice to not see a load of moeblob characters in a 'SoL' which is a term that just doesn't seem like it belongs here.

Yuri is kind of a crybaby, which wouldn't annony me so much if she didn't constantly repeat 'I'm scared', but then she is rightfully terrified in what is a bloody weird situation.

I didn't expect this level of gore either, I mean, it's not like...
When Guts cuts off his arm (best gore ever)
but it's certainly on a level that i wasn't expecting.

I'm sure the teacher is orchestrating something here, her hair works in the same way as the Borgs, and she obviously sent those 3 boys against Yuri, which pushed her, and her Borg, over the edge, which was a huge step too far.

Looking forward to seeing how this pans out

Re: Alien 9

Episode 1:

Well, this is quietly unsettling. The fact that they force children to fend off aliens seem a bit weird (think it's because Japanese schools seem to lack groundskeepers), though it fits thematically about learning to become a responsible adult one day. I dunno what's the deal with the teach is, but judging from her hair it seems that the symbiotic parasites actually assimilate themselves.

Eps 1&2

First of all... I share Yuri's sentiment about putting those things on my head. Nope nope nope. Yada yada yada!

This is one of the most bizarre slice of life I have ever seen. So few 6th graders go around school catching aliens like it is a totally proper thing to do for kids and then they store and feed them, but oh no killing is forbidden because we have to respect alien lives. And it seems that is how all elementary schools work in the universe of Alien 9... which is just... weird. And then everyone gets mad Yuri is falling apart from fear. Hey, those things ARE nasty.

And then BAM gore! I was blanking out for the whole episode because it was boring as heck then I got a sudden surprise that made my jaw drop. What the hell, what the hell, what the hell????

Dem flowerhopters... sugoi...

Naked lolis without nipples... sugoi....

Episode 2:

So, the teacher says that it's impossible for the aliens to leave the school premise (at least the headcrab parasite thingies), and then she complains about them not having any (pretty sure it's aliens) in stock. Is she ordering them and having them planted at school in order to cultivate something from the girls? Seems very plausible to me, and if they do, it is obviously done for nefarious and clandestine purposes.

The three boys were more than creepy, and the teacher letting them have their "toys" back... urgh.

What was interesting to note is that when Yuri got afraid, Kumi and Kasumi got afraid as well, and their alien critters started shivering, suggesting that a telepathic or mental link of some kind has been formed.

Episode 3 & 4

Firstly ep 3. More SoL oriented, summer vacation, cue fun on the beach and courage tests etc.

Suddenly giant whale toad thing.

Episode 4 though. Wow, I don't even... this was seriously pretty awesome. A total mind fuck yes, but awesome.

Having said that, no questions were ever really answered, so we still don't know why the aliens can't leave the school grounds, or why the kids have to deal with them, or what the hell happened with Yuri's borg in episode 2.

The ending though... at first it just seems that everything is going to carry on as before, but watch those end credits, and you see Kumi quite obviously dead, probably at Toomine's hands, and the last shot is of Yuri in total grief. Dark stuff indeed.

Kinda seemed like there should have been more, like another 4 episode OVA or something, maybe even a shortish movie. I for one would like to see such a thing, but there is no hope for it unfortunately. I enjoyed it quite a lot, it was flawed, but they seemed quite conscious of that, almost as if they were deliberate. I'm giving it a 4/5

Episodes 3 & 4:

Goddamnit, everybody's such an asshole towards Yuri. The teach, her friends and the Tomine employees were all plotting her downfall. Or they were just cruel to her, but still. At least they had a fun summer break, but Megumi can't just leave it at that, because she might be fired if she doesn't produce any results.

I didn't really fancy that whole illusion thing from the spacefrogwhale, but it ended fairly quickly. I dunno, it just felt uninspired to me.

So, it's obvious that the girls are used for some kind of purpose, but since this OVA ended quite abruptly we have no idea what it was. The ED was pretty damn creepy, what with the juxtaposition of Kumi's dead body and the rather upbeat song.

All in all, this was a pretty creepy watch. 7/10

Ep. 3

I think I am the only one here who thinks this is completely boring and trying too hard to be creepy. And this ep put me to sleep. And wtf at the end.

Update after ep 4.

Ep. 4
:seriously:

2/5 because I have a lot of problems with this. It is completely boring during most of the episodes, does not explain anything or continue but ends apbrutly, it is not even creepy but simply throws in some out of place gore/shock moment, making me scratch my head, and the ending is just what the hell.

Last edited:
Honestly, there were only two interesting moments for me in this OVA series. The first was when Yuri's borg went crazy and killed everything, but this was left totally unaddressed and we moved on to wholly pointless filler. The only other interesting moment in all the four episodes was in the end credits with the dead Kumi, which was also left totally unaddressed because then it all just ends. Ultimately it all just felt like a waste of time since absolutely nothing is explained at all. We can make educated guesses as to what's going on, but that's the stuff I want to see! Not useless beach episodes!

Back