Candy Boy

caitlin

[sadht]Candy Boy[/sadht][sadhl=1563]candy-boy[/sadhl][sadhdc][/sadhdc]

Anyone else familiar with this one? I just found it earlier, and watched it. It's a short (a bit under eight minutes) and sweet little love story (shoujo-ai), with a touch of humour. :)
It's pretty new, as well.

Screen shots (all taken by me) under spoiler tags ('cause there's 14 of them).
title.jpg
kaede.jpg
both.jpg
photos.jpg
confession.jpg
blushing.jpg
hands.jpg
phone.jpg
shillouete.jpg
littleyuki.jpg
three.jpg
wind.jpg
cry.jpg
watching.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard of this a little bit back. It's good, considering it's length and the fact that its an ONA. Lately I've found myself liking the shoujo shoujo-ai, as opposed to the shounen or josei shoujo-ai (manga, not anime), so this was a pretty good find.

FYI, for those who like these shoujo shoujo-ai stuff, check out Morinaga Milk's manga . . . and for guys who just like the shoujo-ai stuff because it's two girls, see Shoujo Sect.

I also thought it was quite good, considering. :)
Although it was quite different from what I expected from the title (even if I'm not quite sure what I was expecting!).
It was released earlier this month, if I recall?
(And I'm the same - I've been getting more and more into shoujo-ai, and am beginning to leave shounen-ai behind a little)

ooo, can you send me an entry? i'd need one scenery shot in addition to those though :D

Would you like me to email it to you, then? :o

I found a scenery one, and two scenery-ish shots, on the way:
outside.jpg
trainstation.jpg
halls.jpg

yeah if you can do the usual zip of the screesn and then the pasted synopsis, that woudl be awesome. i could put it up tonight!

I also thought it was quite good, considering. :)
Although it was quite different from what I expected from the title (even if I'm not quite sure what I was expecting!).
It was released earlier this month, if I recall?
(And I'm the same - I've been getting more and more into shoujo-ai, and am beginning to leave shounen-ai behind a little)

I don't know much about shoujo-ai outside of Milk, HEN, Simoun, Marimite and Shoujo Sect, but if you're interested there's a WHOLE lot of Touhou doujin covering the fan-created love-mess of Youmu loving Yuyuko and Sayuka, Sayuka loving Remilia, Patchouli and Alice loving Marisa, Marisa loving Reimu (yes, it's a complicated mess). The Touhou world is actually quite interesting and comes with some good games too that don't require knowledge of Japanese, so you might want to take a look.

It's e-mailing now, Sothis! :)

purplemo: The main shoujo-ai I'm familiar with are Kasimasi (that's pushing the boundries of shoujo-ai, though. I also saw a DVD of a similar sounding series, while I was in the States, but I didn't get it), MariMite, and most of the rest I've seen are just series with hints of shoujo-ai in them, though I've got a few shoujo-ai titles on my 'to watch' list, anyhow. :)
That sounds interesting! I'll probably have to take a look, sometime :)

Update on the story:
From what I hear the girls are twin sisters, but I'm not sure if you can really confirm whether it's sisters or roommates, in such a sort time. They do make a hint or two that they're sisters, but I took the honorifics and that to be nicknames, myself. So they may not be sisters, but it seems to be the populr idea that they are.

thanks for pointing this one out . It was nice and heartwarming .
The thing that it shows them sleeping together as childs is an indication that they are at least childhood friends .
.Plus the animation style reminded me of Mai-hime especially Kana who looks a lot like Natsuki.

They are twins says http://www.cho-animelo.com/candyboy.

The Happy Lesson guy directed it (I thought it looked familiar). Candy Boy is basically a marketing gimmick for . . . idols. It's part of something they call Anime 2.0. Basically, to help idols jumpstart their career, they package a little dinky OVA with their single, and use the single in the OVA. This one's for a Korean named Meilin.

Off topic: I think Kasimasi can be considered shoujo-ai because the male in question is so effeminate and he seems to have really no big problem with being a girl (as opposed to like in My Barbaric Girlfriend).

Yeah, I've seen a few sources saying they're twins, but I only got the impression of childhood friends when I watched it. That was my gut instinct. ^^;;

Off topic: Yeah, I think Kasimasi, though a dubious one, does count.

definitely twins. same last name, and one of them refers to them having been together, from the day they were born.. etc. etc.

anyway. I really liked it. too bad there wont be more. :\

Last edited:
It's such a nice little serie! ^^

And it still keeps going; after the ONA, one episode was released in May and another one in June... There was also a special one that took place earlier in the story. It got out in August.
I also heard that the "third" episode is coming out very soon. Can't wait to see it!

I just finished watching the episode... (well let's say I tried since I couldn't anything else beside raws)

I got somewhat surprised that it picked off exactly where the last episode left! It seems to get some continuity. On the other hand, there was not enough Yukino/Kanade moments compared to the other ones. Still it was very cute as usual.

Back