Barefoot Gen

Sarcazmo

[sadht]Barefoot Gen[/sadht]

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

So, I just finished watching Hadashi No Gen, and I am lost for words. Never has an anime movie, or a regular one for that matter, left such an impression on me. For those who don't know it --> Barefoot Gen | Anime-Planet <--

It's a very dramatic story about the aftermath of the hiroshima atomic bombing and a boy that survives with his mother amongst the destruction, rubble, radiation and tens of thousands of bodies. A real depressing movie, and scary too, knowing that this could (and most likely will) happen again sometime, somewhere..

Share your thoughts on it, I think it deserves more attention. What scenes got to you? Needless to say, use the spoiler tags! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Hadashi No Gen - Barefoot Gen

23 views and no one? :O

You best all be watching it right now, or also lost for words :P

No seriously guys, this one needs some love!

It was better than Grave of the Fireflies that's for sure but Gen's voice actor is quite frankly the worst I have ever heard. He killed the film for me. Great on a first watch but I don't think I'd do it again for a few years. I cried during the bombing scene!

I've just watched part II also. Definately not dissapointing!

Gen's voice isn't a problem to me at all. Well, it could use a remastering overall, since it's such an old movie. But that's a slight flaw in this masterpiece! Not even worth mentioning :)

Final thoughts:
I think it was an okay anime film. The ideas were cool, but its execution didn't feel spectacular. You remember the characters more for their tragedies rather than how written they were. There are probably other movies that handle war better honestly, like Grave of the Fireflies. So for me, I have to give it a 3/5.

I think everyone has seen the bombing scene once, often in those "hur dur Anime is not for kids dur dur" discussion.
People need to show the scenes afterwards. The walking dead, river of bodies, tar rain, Hell on earth, all these events that happened afterwards are more gruesome than the bombing scene - in my opinion.

Back