Kaguya-sama: Love is War - Ultra Romantic

Ep 1:

They didn't miss a beat picking up the absurd perfection that made S2 as incredible as it was.

If there was a downside--and I use that term very lightly--it's that we didn't get a chance for Kaguya to go full-on ham, which was the hallmark of last season's antics. But, hey, everyone else has to have a chance to be brilliant, too, right? I'm sure we'll get more of that eventually.

Regardless: Chika returneth--for she is the way, the light, and the truth.

y07i2h02dog21.gif

ALL IS CHIKA.

Plus...limbering Kei.

Anime of the Year. Calling it now.

As the others said, ep1 is on a strong start, the jokes are as good as always and i never find myself getting bored of the characters. I can't be the only one who loves how overly dramatised simple things like having a text (line) conversation is but yet this series always seems to kick it up a notch, yet makes it feel completely legit and not ridiculous beyond the means of their situations.

Props more for the Ino scene too, not only was it pretty damn funny (the weird noises constantly escalating into... that) but i loved the climax, we go from everyone "all being there" before with the headphones to... that ending, did not disappoint and i give bonus points as Ino was always pretty minor so its a fun way to start her off.

Anime of the Year. Calling it now.

This year already has good contenders from Winter... plus some good shows lined up (sequels), yet you probably will be right, not due to others not living up to hype but... because this series never fails to let us down!

Bonus - I know i got a good show to write about each week!

Holy shit I have not laughed this hard at a show in a hot minute.

I was hyped as hell for this and it somehow still blew all my expectations out of the water and gave us another damn incredible episode. And maybe next week I will remember to not attempt to drink water during an episode of this.
hey anyone know if that song Ishigami was listening to is real? was kinda a bop.

was kinda a bop.
If it's not already real, it better become real--and fast.

That said...I could swear I've heard it before. Or maybe I know too many anime songs with "pew pew" in the chorus.

This year already has good contenders from Winter
...it did?

I guess Dress Up was pretty okay. [shrug]

give bonus points as Ino was always pretty minor so its a fun way to start her off.
As someone who was mostly not a fan of hers, last season, I have to agree that this was an excellent use of her, in this episode.

As someone who was mostly not a fan of hers, last season, I have to agree that this was an excellent use of her, in this episode.
Oh for sure, I honestly don't remember much about season 2 that well but i recall not being her biggest fan, i know her stuck up attitude when trying to win student council bugged me but i recall never liking her much but... this episode (for now at least) gives me a fresh prospective, maybe she did get to be better by the end of S2? Can't remember but all the same, I'm happy with how she starting S3. I kind of hope of run with this too, I get she is a bit more serious compared to the rest of them but having a bit of humour will work wonders for her (as it did here) so I'm pretty hyped to see her... i dunno, be likeable? As with yourself, I didn't like her much before so fingers crossed she is turning a new leaf this time around.

hands down one of if not the funniest comedy series out there, laugh out loud moments in damn near every episode for me, this 1st episode is no different.
Nice, if it suits your tastes but it's an exaggeration to call it "one of the if not the funniest comedy series". Romance might not be my thing but Comedy is. And I won't say it's that funny, judging by s1 and the few eps of s2 that I watched... And I kinda stalked your profile out of curiosity, you "Won't watch" Gintama!... I don't think I can accept your opinion seriously in that case... don't mind me saying but it's like you watched all the cliche stuff and won't watch the comedy-focused stuff

Nice, if it suits your tastes but it's an exaggeration to call it "one of the if not the funniest comedy series". Romance might not be my thing but Comedy is. And I won't say it's that funny, judging by s1 and the few eps of s2 that I watched... And I kinda stalked your profile out of curiosity, you "Won't watch" Gintama!... I don't think I can accept your opinion seriously in that case... don't mind me saying but it's like you watched all the cliche stuff and won't watch the comedy-focused stuff
No exaggeration my friend, it gets me to laugh more consistently than most comedy shows I have watched. Nobody has watched everything so nobody has the perfect guage to say anything is 100% the best at anything. So the fact that I haven't watched Gintama is irrelevant as I'm sure there is some other decent comedy YOU haven't seen, and even after all of that, I've said it once and I'll say it again, comedy is highly subjective. Everybody is never gonna be entertained by the same gags, which is why variety exists...........

Speaking of variety.....The reason I marked Gintama as "won't watch" is the same reason I dropped one piece. I like Variety and I don't want to spend all of my time watching just 1 anime. And I was going to watch Gintama and saw it's massive episode count across iterations was so massive, I'd have to sacrifice variety, we're talking season's worth of content just to get through 1 show. So I decided it'd be better for me to let that one be one of the things I don't see. In this life, we don't have time to see everything that exists so some things fall into that category whether you like it or not, by sacrificing that one series, it opened the door to discovering many other great and bad series.

So as you've checked my profile, I decided to do the same honor for you. On both of our profiles, I tag searched watched anime with the COMEDY tag. My profile has 8 pages worth of watched comedy anime, yours has 4 pages worth, and Gintama content takes up damn near a full one of those pages, so that's 1 full page dedicated to 1 show with 1 team of writers and actors, so the variety in humor on that page isn't very vast even if the quality is decent. Naturally, neither of us has seen EVERYTHING, But I'd say I've seen a larger sample size worth of comedy content with a much wider variety of writers/execution and overall approaches to the comedy genre.

So it's fine if you don't respect my opinion because I didn't watch your beloved Gintama, forgive me if I deduct SOME value of your opinion for viewing a much narrower array of content within the genre.

I tag searched watched anime with the COMEDY tag. My profile has 8 pages worth of watched comedy anime, yours has 4 pages worth, and Gintama content takes up damn near a full one of those pages, so that's 1 full page dedicated to 1 show with 1 team of writers and actors, so the variety in humor on that page isn't very vast even if the quality is decent. Naturally, neither of us has seen EVERYTHING, But I'd say I've seen a larger sample size worth of comedy content with a much wider variety of writers/execution and overall approaches to the comedy genre.

Just like you don't like longer animes, that's kinda what I'm into. I do watch shorter animes but I know I'll forget everything about them in less than a month. So when I have a decent amount of time, I watch longer animes, when I just wanna pass time, I watch almost whatever, there are horrible shits on my list I know.

But I do agree that comedy is subjective. For example, I hate Ecchi genre with passion so comedy x ecchi is usually not funny to me, cause there's ecchi and I just can't look past that. And your list more or less has a lot of them, so at first glance, I found it appalling. Maybe that's why I sounded salty unintentionally!

And when I said that I can't accept your opinion, I said it knowing full well that it's a both-way deal. It's okay to have an opinion, doesn't mean I will agree with you, and vice versa.

Going back to the topic, yeah I get what you're saying xd but this suits my tastes are so that's just how it is. And it's the same way for you too, I do understand that.

Is this some weird kind of flex?

A great start to the season, firing on all cylinders. This is definitely one of the shows I miss a lot when its not airing.

Not a spectacular episode, but a decent one all the same. (Not enough Chika. (Never enough Chika.)) The Ishigami/Iino stuff was fairly amusing, and I liked the Hayasaka/Shirogane conversation--though I would have obviously to catch a glimpse of zany Kaguya in response to it all. (Then again, I'm always going to want that, when it isn't there.)

We're still in good territory, so far, even if I wasn't in love with it, this week.

BUT...

Please tell me we're going to get an all-new daydream anime series ED every week. Please oh please oh please.

Please tell me we're going to get an all-new daydream anime series ED every week. Please oh please oh please.

They sure have put a lot of effort into the OP and ed....

I like these episodes a lot when they take some breaks from comedy and say some real shit, I think Hayasaka got real for a minute there. Not that there wasn't funny stuff because there certainly was.

Just to be a testament to the quality of the show, even in the rare moments it's not trying to be funny, it's still pretty damn interesting what happens on screen.

Episode 2
Hayasaka went over kill here! But... as much as i didn't want her to continue, seeing Kaguya getting worked up is kind of my thing... man I'm messed up!
Gotta give props to the "So big" comments, we of course know it's gonna be played off as a joke but to think it meant his voice of all things, touché show.

Iino x Ishigami is clearly happening and i wont hear otherwise! They can lie all they like, it's just obvious it will be one of them weird relationships where they always bicker but somehow are closer than any other couple... I should stop trying to write the script.

Not bad, not as good as last week but i think it's pretty tough to follow that episode up by beating it.

Ep 1 & 2:

They really don't miss a beat with this. That first episode was just nonstop gut busters. Not sure how you can't tell your headphones are not where the sounds coming from but hey, I'll run with it. I really enjoyed the second one as well, especially giving Hayasaka a part away from Kaguya. Well, kinda. But most of all, I'm glad to have Narrator-san back.

And holy hell that ED. I can't quite express how much I loved it, but I LOVED it.

You better not be baiting Shirogane learning to rap from Chika A1, YOU HEAR ME!? I NEED IT!

Back