Deaimon

Also wtf with the chestnut head? It’s so cool yet bizarre XD
I wanted to set fire to it, but i guess that's the idea, to look a bit ridiculous, so i will let it pass.

I loved this first episode, it's kind of wholesome feeling, gives Usagi Drop vibes in that someone taking a parental role pretty much out of the blue. I like it, the characters are likeable, the main dude is a good kid and so is the girl, the family go all burn though!
Seriously? They literally was talking (in private to be fair to them) about their concerns over this guy taking over the shop (he was literally still a teen, anyone judging a teens ability is someone who is clearly lacking any life knowledge or experience) and thus he follows other paths and then they get pissed he left? I'm pretty sad he didn't throw it in their face, i sure would. They wasn't thrilled of him taking over the shop (years into the future when he would be more matured) and so he leaves, and they get pissed? Nah, shut them down, sure they would love to know you heard all their kind and reassuring words.

But i digress.

That stuff aside (it's slice of life so i see why they avoid the drama), i like it, the guy takes some verbal abuse (in my opinion) from them all but he is a good guy under it all, can't wait to see him develop as both a character and potentially a parental figure.
I can't help thinking this is gonna be a great show by the end.

I wanted to set fire to it, but i guess that's the idea, to look a bit ridiculous, so i will let it pass.

I loved this first episode, it's kind of wholesome feeling, gives Usagi Drop vibes in that someone taking a parental role pretty much out of the blue. I like it, the characters are likeable, the main dude is a good kid and so is the girl, the family go all burn though!
Seriously? They literally was talking (in private to be fair to them) about their concerns over this guy taking over the shop (he was literally still a teen, anyone judging a teens ability is someone who is clearly lacking any life knowledge or experience) and thus he follows other paths and then they get pissed he left? I'm pretty sad he didn't throw it in their face, i sure would. They wasn't thrilled of him taking over the shop (years into the future when he would be more matured) and so he leaves, and they get pissed? Nah, shut them down, sure they would love to know you heard all their kind and reassuring words.

But i digress.

That stuff aside (it's slice of life so i see why they avoid the drama), i like it, the guy takes some verbal abuse (in my opinion) from them all but he is a good guy under it all, can't wait to see him develop as both a character and potentially a parental figure.
I can't help thinking this is gonna be a great show by the end.

Haha I literally wheezed when you said wanna set fire to his stupid chestnut headpiece I feel ya XD Yeah I agree it definitely gave Usagi drop vibes with having a immature dude taking over the sweet shop and allowing his family to hire a 10 year old girl as a manager. I mean it’s a lotta responsibility like a kid just can’t be a manager at that age man! Let alone have a guy who doesn’t seem interested in working in the shop or that much experience. Yeah I wanna see how this drama goes like it is sweet but bizarre enough?!

I was sold the minute the son started loosing it when trying to sell the sweets in the store. Also those two dirtbags who wouldnt quit smoking, I bet they are the ones who called in that big order, props to the son taking up his guitar and that weird nut hat of his to sell them off. He might be a lot of things, but he didnt abandon the 'successor' when she needed help in selling those delicious confectionaries.

Episode 1:

Oh yeah, this is definitely my jam. There's something special about anime and manga that mixes food and wholesomeness. Also, how often do we get a 30+ year old lead in a SoL? Definitely looking forward to more.

But i digress.

I know Japanese family business traditions that span generations are...intense and can be pretty hardcore but that bit did annoy me. I also didn't like the way the dad has been talking crap about the MC to Itsuka.

Last edited:
I enjoyed episode 1.. very wholesome.

who just goes up to random people and proclaims they are your father though.. lol I was scratching my head at That.

I know Japanese family business traditions that span generations are...intense and can be pretty hardcore but that bit did annoy me. I also didn't like the way the dad has been talking crap about the MC to Itsuka.
yeah, i honestly was a bit thrown by the father this whole episode, they clearly had no wish to have him succeed the shop but get upset when he willingly saves that awkward conversation... but yeah the fact he talks bad of him to everyone... it's just hard to swallow, but I will try, I imagine this setup is merely just that, a setup for the plot.

The MC is just seriously a nice dude. Like, I cant recall a show where the lead character is just, a simple, honest, maybe a few quirks like crying over sweets and wearing a chestnut hat with a guitar, guy who cares about friends and co-workers. Its a nice time. Watching him and the girl from highschool, totes has a crush on him now, anyways, this show is such a nice change of pace. I mean it could get dark and edgy and he turns into a serial killer or something, this is Japan after all but I hope it keeps the style and so forth as is.

Episode 2.
So her getting harassed was good for business. That's good...I think. Bit of an iffy end to that story, but whatever I guess.

I'm really enjoying this show! I honestly thought it would be my favourite show this season (but then I watched spy X family ). I'm liking the exploration of parental relationships in this show.
It tackled the idea of familial responsibility pretty well! I liked in the end how she had just misunderstood her parents expectations and instead had self imposed these expectations she thought they'd had. Because that does happen!! And it's much better than the cliché bad parents who don't accept their child narrative.

(but then I watched spy X family )
Oh? I'll be sure to check out that one too then! Because Deaimon has thus far been the show I keep waiting for all week.

They tied things being multi-interpretable all the way from Japanese sweets to Itsuka and her dad's promise and to the who-dumped-who. That's neat story telling, but also unnecessarily deep. Had a chuckle about that.

Episode 3
I swear this guys parents are the worst. I know he didn't make a point of telling them about Itsuka but wow, literally anything they can blame on him they do. Lucky he has such a positive personality. Always remember before defending them too, they didn't want him to take the shop and are now hostile at him because he didn't take it. I know i shouldn't be hung up on this but every time they are horrible to him, it's hard not to remember this, even his mother who seems okay one minute, is then a ass the next.

Anyways, that rant over.
I loved how they worked that dumping, I was confused at first like, no matter how you look at it, she left him but i like they turned it around to make it seem they both was dumped by one another and both misunderstood. I still think she made it feel like she left him when she walked out but okay. I hope they get the two together again, not for my romance loving side (for once) but I kinda like the idea of these two taking the mother + father role for Itsuka in time.

Hope Itsuka sees this guy went the extra mile for her, it was nice having her thank him and the three enjoy the festival, I love a well written happy ending!

Episode 3:
Nagomu got some insane tolerance to stomach all that berating and belittling. I know family is family but I'd probably leave again if I were him than put up with that bullshit. I really wanna enjoy this but I just can't stomach seeing a chill and kind-hearted dude like Nagomu get treated like shit just because he followed his heart.

Episode 3.
So she runs away like an idiot, Nagumo gets the grief for it and she gets rewarded by going to a festival.

Okay then...

Nagomu got some insane tolerance to stomach all that berating and belittling. I know family is family but I'd probably leave again if I were him than put up with that bullshit.
yeah the family ruin it for me, I try to look past it as I appreciate its likely done this way to incorporate the girl into the heir to the shop story but man they are hard to work with. I think it would be better if they at least dropped the attitude most of the time.
seeing a chill and kind-hearted dude like Nagomu get treated like shit just because he followed his heart.
Sad too, he is actually a decent MC and person all around, even with his ex there was no bitterness or sour attitude. I can already see the family wanting her working as they comment how useless he is.

Back