Slow Loop

And, honestly, I couldn't tell you why I gave it a shot.
Probably all the promotional art featuring bare feet:
1641527114156.png

1641527806694.png

1641529432971.png

Episode 2 - the good stuff~
There's being an obsessed hobbyist, then there's being so obsessed you miss your daughter being born and then try to name her after a fish. That poor girl has it rough.
So true, i laughed at this part but man, not attending your daughters birth and being 5 hours late and then trying to name your kid after a fish, dudes got some issues.

That being said, i kind of liked the guy (Koi's dad), he is simple and a basic joke but added in well enough to the scene.
I love the chemistry between them, Kaharu being herself and Koi's buried insecurity of worrying if she is "good enough" to be Hiyori's friend combined with Hiyori's smile, they all just go together so well.

I really like this show so far, it's weirdly close to feeling like that Backwater show and Yurucamp in a pleasant kind of merging. I dunno, i just love the chill vibes.

Episode 3:
Man, fishing and feels... I love how this show balances comfy and cuteness with slightly heavy stuff like dealing with loss. I was caught off guard when Koharu started talking about her little brother. Really elevates the show for me. Also, that bit where Hiyori was thinking if her dad would still recognize her got to me too. Good stuff.

Episode 3.
The feels were had.
I've been in this exact situation, minus the deceased family members. A fishing trip with the new step-parent for a little bonding. So I related here. Got me right where I live.

Man this takes me back to when I tried to learn fly fishing at summer camp. Didn't catch shit because it rained all week but it was an interesting challenge.

I was hoping that the show would be decent and it's already exceeded expectations. Definitely some Laid Back Camp vibes (down to the stoic and cheerful main characters) but that's alright with me. We need more cute girls teaching outdoor skills anime. Definitely following this one.

Didn't catch shit because of rain? I mostly only fish when it rains, it's easier to get the fish to bite then, in my experience.

Easiest post ever, this one, because...
I was caught off guard when Koharu started talking about her little brother.
that bit where Hiyori was thinking if her dad would still recognize her got to me too
...it was already done for me.

Plus: in true me fashion, Koi--whom I sort of rejected, last week--might turn out to be my favorite character.

She's an archetype I tend not to enjoy (the snarky, aloof friend), but I like that she's already got a lot more going on with her character than just being an archetype. (Even if her hot-and-cold relationship with her dad shtick is already wearing thin.)

Aw, heck, I reckon I must've become a sucker for shows like this. It's all Yuru Camp's fault for being so damn comfy.

I watched the first three episodes of this show today. I like it! It's pretty good. Of the three main characters, Koi is my favourite so far, but the other two are still pretty good, and I'm sure they'll grow on me some more as the show goes on. The jokes are pretty good, I'm laughing at least once an episode, and the emotional beats are hitting pretty well, too. I'm gonna keep on watching this one.

So, yeah, I guess you could say that it's hooked me. Hehe.

Right, so...this episode totally snuck up on me, in the end, because I was not having a good time, at first. I just wasn't diggin' the whole first section with the friction between Hiyori and Koharu (though I didn't mind the chat she had with Koi (and her "mrrrrrr" face amused me greatly)) and the cooking and stuff. And, more to the point, I didn't like that, with the resolution during the cooking section, it felt so much like a chapter in the manga (which it undoubtedly was)--by which I mean it felt very much its own mini-story, rather than part of a full episode.

Meanwhile, everything after it that initially focused on Koi (and her mom and her birthday) and then swept into Hiyori and Koharu getting jobs to make money for an eventual tuna fishing trip was great and flowed together pretty darn seamlessly, making the first part seem even more cut off from the rest of the episode and leaving me wishing they'd just skipped that section and gone straight into Koi meeting with her mom to start the episode.
Of course, in hindsight, the connecting tissue for the whole episode was the notion that girls aren't typically into fishing, so it's special that Koharu wants to put so much effort into it, regardless of whether it's about the fishing or spending time with Hiyori. But, nice though a coherent theme may be, I don't think that quite makes up for the standalone tone of that section.

At least, not for my money.
I mean, Koi's story gave us "The Bunny Prince Goes to Montana," which is just...brilliant.

Having said all that, the second and third (or second, third, and fourth, depending on whether or not you consider the mom date/birthday party sections to be separate or the same) parts were thoroughly enjoyable, so this is still a solid pick for the season. Which is a pleasant surprise, to be sure.

Episode 4:
Koi's dad ain't perfect but I'm glad he actually cares for his family and there's more to him than being a fishing maniac. I still think he could be a better father though.

Tanned onee-san seems like an interesting addition to the cast.

Also, last week we had Koharu comparing roasting fish to burning people at the stake and now she's comparing the head of a tuna to severed head trophies. Like what the fuck, Koharu. Morbid much?

last week we had Koharu comparing roasting fish to burning people at the stake and now she's comparing the head of a tuna to severed head trophies. Like what the fuck, Koharu.
That's a great catch. (No pun intended.) It'll be interesting to see if this pattern continues--and, if it does, if it's representative of a deeper pain underlying the cheery exterior of our boisterous fishing greenhorn.

Episode 5:
WBBtWu8.jpg

Poor Futaba. This is kinda... ugh. Typical Japanese conformity. Stand out a little and you'll be a target for life. But fudge them. At least she got Hiyori as her friend now and I hope hanging out with her and Koharu will make her more confident about her hobbies.

I really appreciate how this show is blending serious feels with the CGDCT aspects.

Also, Namero we meet again! I just watched Takeshi Takeshima's Kiwami meshi's Namero Gyoza video last night and now this show is also featuring it but in its regular and proper form.

Back