Anime-Planet Secret Santa 2021

I didn't end up getting down to the point of guessing my santa for this year, but it was still fun trying to do so. As I have said in I believe it was my last post, I haven't watched any of my anime picks but read my manga picks and they were all good and I do look forward to watching the anime soon... if I get to it that is.

8vU2yFc.gif

Thanks, dude. I had no idea.
200.gif

I wanted to give you something good and gay, but you'd seen pretty much all the good gay stuff that I knew of. So I just went with a grab bag of different genres.
----
I am not familiar with you, @spookymorrigan, but you hit a bullseye with Zetsubou Sensei. Thanks kindly.

Meganeorcx gave recommendations to Safaq
@meganeorcx, I actually kinda suspected that it was you who gave me the picks, though I'm surprised I was correct. It just so happened that you profile picture grabbed my attention and after looking through your profile I felt like you fitted perfectly having read/watched all of the suggestions and giving them high ratings.

Sorry that I couldn't get into Kiss him, not me and I hope I wasn't too harsh about it, but the rest of your picks were amazing, and I'm considering reading the manga for Kobayashi-san, so thank you. Really, thanks a lot for everything. Something came up and I wasn't able to finish Izetta before Christmas but I will definitely finish it in the next few days and from what I've seen so far it looks quite interesting.

@Timed, it felt quite challenging choosing things for you, so I'm glad you went through my choices of manga and was able to enjoy them. Among them, I wish... was the odd one out as I tried a bit too hard to get at least one pick not from your WtW/WtR lists. Both for manga and anime I tried to offer a variety of choices: mundane and fantastic, lighthearted and more serious, and I think it worked out. If you do end up watching something I hope you can have a good time.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

You can't help that that recipient has terrible taste. I always homerun it because my recipient acknowledges my superior taste and I can acclimate to their inferior taste. I also guess perfectly. Just me being truthfully humble.
Your superior taste was indeed gratefully received. All of the recs I've had time to watch/read were great (I've also started Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, I just keep running out of time to actually finish watching).
I would be easy to guess with my superior taste but I can’t guess mine because they are imitating a genius.
Rest easy in knowing that while I didn't guess you were my Santa, all future Santa's will now have to live up to Thrawn standards.

@Zed

Gotta have that meaty manly slap sound in there. Because I never expected it to be you, you son of a bitch! Giving me all the shit I like, including Detroit Metal City which I should have watched years ago because SATSUGAI GO TO DMC BITCH PIGS and the truly accurate, 100% faithful adaptation that was like taking the manga, scanning it into anime-format.fuckingham and sending it off to the races. Just know that I totally pre-emptively love the others but DMC homeskillet, that rekindled my love for it. You a G for nailing the recs!

Your superior taste was indeed gratefully received. All of the recs I've had time to watch/read were great (I've also started Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, I just keep running out of time to actually finish watching).

Rest easy in knowing that while I didn't guess you were my Santa, all future Santa's will now have to live up to Thrawn standards.

giggle-blush.gif

Totally making me blush with the truthful commentations, really made me think on what to rec and to not go the classic route of my normal recs. But Teenage Renaissance! David was me having a giggle, so underappreciated but I had to do it. And glad you liked the picks! Just know that if you get another amazing list of picks next year, it's probably me, the humble Thrawn the God-Picker.

Thanks for the recommendations Rekindled! I liked Hi-Score Girl and while I didn't finish it in time, I'm still enjoying Keep Your Hands off Eizoken. I may watch Vinland Saga sometime next year, and if I ever get a Funimation subscribtion (which is unlikely) or if it stops being a Funimation exclusive, I'll check out Link Click.

Thanks for the recommendations @Kifinosi ! As I suspected you weren't someone I knew beforehand so I wouldn't have bothered to try and guess my santa. I do like how you have your own ratings scale on your profile and put a lot of thought into ratings. I'll give you a follow for sure. :balloon:

Now that you know that I'm your santa @Partiallygore I'd like to apologize for my multiple mess ups in my recs this year (e.g. not seeing you've watched ToG somehow, reccing Nichijou when clearly you aren't much of a fan of zany 4koma shows, etc.) :@_@:

I'm glad you liked Priconne though!

@Clotilde i hope you enjoyed your prezzies
heyo!!! thanks for the recs!!
I owe you finishing them sorry T-T. Im have two episodes left of sweetness and lighting, and I started watching Somali and Made in abyss. I'd probably say I'm liking Made in abyss the best right now but all of the recs were pretty good, thanks!

I wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy holidays, cya!

I didn't have the slightest clue who my secret Santa was. Now that I have seen that it was @Seokhanies I can confirm that I would never have been able to guess who it was with any kind of detective work. Out of the 3 recs I was given, my Santa had one of the picks stalled at 2 episodes, one of the picks listed as WTW and one of the picks watched with 3/5 rating.

I felt like my Santa was a new member who didn't participate much in the forums and I was right about that at least, but that is all I was able to narrow it down. Congrats to the people who were able to predict their specific Santa and got it right.

Overall this was a great year for Secret Santa. My recipient gave my pick 8 out of 10 which is a pretty good score, but I didn't beat the 9/10 that my recipient gave last year. I also got a pretty good batch of anime this year. I'm not sure how much thought went into the picks for me, but Talentless Nana is the best gift I have had so far in all 3 years that I have been playing Secret Santa.

@Timed, it felt quite challenging choosing things for you, so I'm glad you went through my choices of manga and was able to enjoy them. Among them, I wish... was the odd one out as I tried a bit too hard to get at least one pick not from your WtW/WtR lists. Both for manga and anime I tried to offer a variety of choices: mundane and fantastic, lighthearted and more serious, and I think it worked out. If you do end up watching something I hope you can have a good time.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Yeah, I have a lot on my WtW/WtR lists and so trying to find something that isn't there was going to be challenging, but I did like the variety of picks you gave and definitely enjoyed them and do plan on starting the anime at some point in time since they did seem like good picks.

@SpiritOfCoffeeMug Thanks for the recs! Getting three of the most iconic titles in the medium is certainly a treat that I would expect to get every time I join these. I'll definitely finish the remaining two picks before the new Year.

@Zed

Gotta have that meaty manly slap sound in there. Because I never expected it to be you, you son of a bitch! Giving me all the shit I like, including Detroit Metal City which I should have watched years ago because SATSUGAI GO TO DMC BITCH PIGS and the truly accurate, 100% faithful adaptation that was like taking the manga, scanning it into anime-format.fuckingham and sending it off to the races. Just know that I totally pre-emptively love the others but DMC homeskillet, that rekindled my love for it. You a G for nailing the recs!
Thrawn my man, I knew I was gonna have a good time picking recs for your godly tastes, and I'm glad you liked them!
fullmetal-alchemist.gif

@Demelza, thanks for being my secret Santa! Update: I’ve read Haru’s Curse and also skimmed through your anime even though for me I requested manga-I don’t know I just did and agree with most of it so yay? Anyways I think you may have recommended Haru’s Curse because of its similarities with My Broken Mariko which I had previously rated highly. (Or not just some speculations). I think it ended with sanguine perspectives; to which I generally enjoy. I’ve not had the chance to explore the other mangas however will without a doubt read them moving forward. (Finals and Christmas) :)
Anyways, I wanted to thank you and inform you that I appreciate it.

Thanks for the recs, @abbyishere4manga ! I skimmed your manga list a little, and you certainly managed to find my niche amongst your reads. I really enjoyed my stories (despite what it might seem with my harsh rating, I tend to rank low.)
Hope everyone had a good day, Christmas or otherwise!
Phew! When I’d realized how little I’d written (without context really) I was a bit worried. Hopefully I didn’t come off like I didn’t care :)
Also nice pfp I wanted to say it in this thread before! Late Merry Christmas, happy holidays (including Boxer Day) and celebrating 2022. ^^

Thanks for the recommendations Rekindled! I liked Hi-Score Girl and while I didn't finish it in time, I'm still enjoying Keep Your Hands off Eizoken. I may watch Vinland Saga sometime next year, and if I ever get a Funimation subscribtion (which is unlikely) or if it stops being a Funimation exclusive, I'll check out Link Click.

No, problem I thought you might like Hi-Score Girl as you grew up in the 90's and it's really a throwback to that generation. Then Eizoken because it's essentially a love letter to animation and I think anyone with a big list tends to like it for at least that element if nothing else. As far as Link Click, I did notice you didn't list Funimation, but it can actually be watched for free in North America on their site, so I figured I'd throw it in, but added Vinland Saga as an extra recommendation just in case. Glad you liked them at any rate.

@Sabure
I actually knew you were my secret santa but didn't want to ruin the game! I knew because your name was actually at the end of the recommendations I got back from the North Pole XD. Unfortunately I didn't get to 22/7 or the 2nd season of Takagi yet as I just got too busy there at the tail end, but 22/7 is still on the list and will be finished hopefully early in the New Year. I already said what I thought of the shows through this topic as I watched them and given you're active I assume you've already seen them but to summarize it went Mug (6/10) < Acca (7/10) < Takagi (9/10). One show that hit pretty close to my mean score, one above it, and one significantly above it in top 20 stratosphere. So ya, thanks for picks and bravo. You've made it much harder for every Santa that will come after you.

Thanks for the recommendations @FoodLife! I never got around to Hinamatsuri, but I did read all of Astra Lost in Space and volume 1 of Yugami-kun. I'll definitely pick Hinamatsuri up in the new year though.

Really enjoyed revisiting Astra and was pleased to find that the anime hadn't particularly missed anything out, it was a very faithful adaptation. This seems like the best time to give myself a refresh on the story too, since I'd forgotten some of the middle portions. I did enjoy Yugami as well, but it was a little too focused on the humour for me and I struggled to get invested in the story otherwise. Might go back to it in the future when I'm in the mood for that kind of thing since I didn't dislike the characters or anything. :)

@Demelza, thanks for being my secret Santa! Update: I’ve read Haru’s Curse and also skimmed through your anime even though for me I requested manga-I don’t know I just did and agree with most of it so yay? Anyways I think you may have recommended Haru’s Curse because of its similarities with My Broken Mariko which I had previously rated highly. (Or not just some speculations). I think it ended with sanguine perspectives; to which I generally enjoy. I’ve not had the chance to explore the other mangas however will without a doubt read them moving forward. (Finals and Christmas) :)
Anyways, I wanted to thank you and inform you that I appreciate it.

Glad you enjoyed it! I actually just recommended Haru's Curse because you had quite a few things in your list that you seemed to like and were similar to it, plus it was still quite fresh in my mind since I only read it this year too haha. I hope you enjoy the others if you get a chance. :)

Back