Gaming Discussion Thread

After about 55 hours I finally finished Cyberpunk 2077! I do have one massive complaint about the last portion of the game though, if you want to finish up the character-focuses side missions (the quest chains that give you achievements specifically), the last two which unlocked just before the point of no return were extremely annoying to complete. The quests were a blast, those two quest chains are basically more stuff related to Johnny Silverhand and Samurai, but the problem is that the game pads itself out by making you dick around with other things for the next quest in the chain to trigger. To put that in perspective I basically did this for about a day or so (probably would have been a bit faster had the covid booster not derailed my day!). They really should have just made it so that you could use the time skip feature to advance those questlines instead. The one positive side to that is I managed to stumble on a few more of the wackier questlines that I missed.

Once Act 2 started I knew that the game was probably going to have a bittersweet or downer ending considering the circumstances that V ends up in, but this was a monstrous gut punch. I considered trying the secret ending because I was worried that someone I cared about was probably going to wind up dead if I brought anyone else along but due to the fact that if you die during it the game goes straight to the credits I decided against it due to potential frustration as worried as I was. Went with Johnny's suggestion to call Rogue since considering Johnny was going to be more or less completely gone after this I wanted to honor his last request, plus he gets to fuck up Arasaka one last time which is pretty badass in itself! Then my worst fears were realized when Adam Smasher showed up and killed Rogue.... FUCK. The ONE thing I was hoping wouldn't happen! Good thing I got the opportunity to blast his ass and honestly he's a pretty easy boss, actually easier than Oda surprisingly. You'd think Adam Smasher would be more of a challenge considering his legendary status in Night City but hey, just proves you're even more badass than he is.

Then I went inside Mikoshi and oh dear god the next part hit like a damn truck after everything I went through in this game. Turns out that despite your best efforts, your body has essentially already been reconfigured to the point where it's technically not even your body anymore, it's Johnny's. What a fucking awful situation for everyone involved, Johnny wanting V to get their body back and V having a slight glimmer of hope of sorts were more or less completely shattered. At this point you either let Johnny have your body since V is doomed if they go back, or let V have their body back with only a few months to live. I guess depending on one's perspective, neither of them technically dies, at least not right away since either V or Johnny stay with Alt in cyberspace to become part of "something greater" but man is it bittersweet as all hell. I went with giving V their body back, as that was ultimately the goal I was working towards throughout the game and I wanted to see it through but I can't help but wonder if I picked the more "bitter" option since it's made abundantly clear that V probably doesn't have that long to live. Then there's the resolution of the romance option you pick. In this case I romanced Judy and said goodbye to her before the final mission. Shit, I just realized that this is THREE gut punches since Rogue is dead (and depending on one's perspective, possibly died for nothing but at least got to blow up a grenade in Adam Smasher's face), V is dying and the romance with Judy ended in what I'm pretty sure was a break-up where the two go their separate ways. It's a very ballsy move that I don't think I've seen done in other games (very rarely have I ever seen a romance option have a straight up depressing outcome by the end of the story), but damn it why couldn't I go with Judy in the end? You don't even get that as an option and to be honest it's a little disappointing. Having that kind of option would have been nice and could have been a neat way to add slight variety to the ending. The remainder of my ending involved V being the new head merc of Afterlife and then going into space to possibly find some chance of survival or a cure then the game just... cuts to the credits. I'll be honest, I didn't mind the ending (it's just been a LOT to take in) but I wish that mission in space was playable.

I actually do like the ending, I think it has some good messages about living life to the fullest and refusing to give up even in the face of impossible odds but with how bleak it is not everyone is going to be a fan of how it ends. For what it's worth I think it fits well with the tone of the game, even if getting the rug pulled out from under me just before the end was one hell of a swerve.

This game turned out to be a massive surprise and honestly maybe even a new favorite of mine to an extent despite it's issues. I didn't expect much after it's disastrous launch along with people being very disappointed with what the game turned out to be but I actually really enjoyed what was there. It's really a result of horrible management practices and I hope that CD Projekt Red learns from this, stops crunching their devs and actually listens to them next time if they say that something isn't ready, etc. In time I can see this game undergoing a re-evaluation of sorts, it already has to some extent. Kinda feels like this generation's Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, with it's rough initial state but there's certainly good parts to it. Maybe in a few years we'll see a massive fan patch that adds a ton of content/makes it closer to the game people imagined it would be. That, and hopefully the remaining bugs will be ironed out! If you see it on a good discount I'd say it's worth trying.

Honestly I'm really glad you enjoyed it as much as you did! I really talked a lot of shit about it last year so im happy my grouchy ass didnt chase you off when the opportunity to try it out presented itself. I'll have to give it another playthrough myself.

-

Been working my ass off in Forza Horizon 5. Its still kind of buggy in some ways, but its a lot more stable than it was the first two weeks. Im looking forward to getting off work and doing some of the seasonal stuff theyve added to the game world. Can't wait to test out the ice rink at 300+ miles an hour.

Honestly I'm really glad you enjoyed it as much as you did! I really talked a lot of shit about it last year so im happy my grouchy ass didnt chase you off when the opportunity to try it out presented itself. I'll have to give it another playthrough myself.

-

Been working my ass off in Forza Horizon 5. Its still kind of buggy in some ways, but its a lot more stable than it was the first two weeks. Im looking forward to getting off work and doing some of the seasonal stuff theyve added to the game world. Can't wait to test out the ice rink at 300+ miles an hour.
Don't worry, it was really those bug compilations and the horrid state of the game on console at launch that kept me away! After a couple friends of mine who played it on PC said it was actually not bad I decided to get the PC version when it was on a good sale and I'm glad I did. I think going into it without being hyped for the game before launch helped since I didn't have insanely high expectations for it (with that said I do get why people were disappointed, some parts got hyped up a bit too much and that's kinda dangerous considering what happened with No Man's Sky initially)

I should play more Forza too but as you know I was playing Cyberpunk for a long time... and now Halo Infinite xD The gameplay is fun so far but I have little to no idea what's going on in the story, doesn't help that the last "new" Halo campaign I played was Halo 4 nearly 10 years ago and the campaign for Halo 5 never came to PC for some reason.

after a break of getting trophies and replaying RDR 2 I decided to return to new games. recent free (PlayStation plus) drop Mortal Kombat x. I've only been able to play briefly due to time, but have to say any MK fan should check it out. got the violence, gore, x-ray final finish and above all else if you spam the buttons you're bound to do these epic stunts.

So the last character I was using on hard mode in Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2 ran into a snag, and by that I mean she can't defeat a particular boss, so until I get one of my friends to do co-op with me (because she can't summon an ally/pet like my other characters could, and it's virtually impossible to defeat this boss by yourself), I've put that character on hold for now; But worry not, as I've since made a new character for hard mode, and so far she's been doing very well, despite some "bumps" in the beginning.
(For those curious, the new character is basically a human that's a healer type, but thankfully she's able to summon an ally, and you can make her pretty well rounded when it comes to offensive/defensive spells.)

I also have been replaying Champions of Norrath for the PS2 on the side, but haven't done so recently, because of well, issues I mentioned in the WRMD thread, and being busy with a bunch of challenges on here.

Hellblade 2! Yay!

Alan Wake 2! Yay!

I don't really care about anything else they've announced at The Game Awards so far.

I guess I should talk a bit more about Halo Infinite. It's alright! Combat is great, game looks great when it's not blinding me with ungodly bright areas, but the open world stuff is meh and I don't know what's going on in the story. You'd think that if they didn't want to release Halo 5's campaign on PC they'd at least have a recap but no, there doesn't seem to be much of a recap of any kind. Don't know how much that would help though. The combat is really the only reason I want to keep going, the rest just isn't really clicking with me so far.

Last edited:
Hellblade 2! Yay!

Alan Wake 2! Yay!

I don't really care about anything else they've announced at The Game Awards so far.

Yeah, Alan Wake 2 and Slitterhead are the only titles that got my attention... The rest is just...eh.

Slitterhead looks pretty janky but anything by Toyama has always been good IMO and this new game of his seems to be some kind of spiritual successor to Siren. And you can't go wrong with Akira Yamaoka if you want some creepy-ass tunes.

Last edited:
The Space Marine 2 reveal was a complete surprise, and it was a very welcome one! Fighting Tyranids is going to be brilliant!

As for the awards, I am quite surprised to see It Takes Two win, but I am pretty happy it did. It was a really good experience. On top of that, it was good to see Metroid Dread nominated too!

I'm definitely checking this out, as I worship Keiichi Toyama like a fucking god among men with Gravity Rush/Silent Hill and the parasyte inspiration looks neat. If nothing else, at least Akira Yamaoka's music is going to be banger shit.

So I started up Cyberpunk 2077 on the Series X...

I managed to get through the prologue and the first story mission of Act 1 without incident. A few minor jankiness here and there and some weird ragdolling but nothing major like crashes or getting stuck in something. I did get a few dips in FPS in some crowded areas even in performance mode, but it didn't ruin my enjoyment. The game really looks nice even when playing in performance mode but some NPCs look a bit fugly and have low-quality textures. The rest like the story, voice-acting, art direction, and lore... Just fantastic. Might continue playing tonight and run around the open world and see if I experience anything bad.

I'm sure the PC version is a better choice but so far it's been a good experience on the Xbox Series X after playing for three hours, but I'm still at the beginning...

So I started up Cyberpunk 2077 on the Series X...

I managed to get through the prologue and the first story mission of Act 1 without incident. A few minor jankiness here and there and some weird ragdolling but nothing major like crashes or getting stuck in something. I did get a few dips in FPS in some crowded areas even in performance mode, but it didn't ruin my enjoyment. The game really looks nice even when playing in performance mode but some NPCs look a bit fugly and have low-quality textures. The rest like the story, voice-acting, art direction, and lore... Just fantastic. Might continue playing tonight and run around the open world and see if I experience anything bad.

I'm sure the PC version is a better choice but so far it's been a good experience on the Xbox Series X after playing for three hours, but I'm still at the beginning...
And those issues with the graphics will no doubt (hopefully) be gone when the actual Series X version goes live!

Which lifepath did you go with?

I'm definitely checking this out, as I worship Keiichi Toyama like a fucking god among men with Gravity Rush/Silent Hill and the parasyte inspiration looks neat. If nothing else, at least Akira Yamaoka's music is going to be banger shit.
As always, Gens, you know your shit. This was the only new thing at TGA that made me go "damn, better keep an eye on it".

And those issues with the graphics will no doubt (hopefully) be gone when the actual Series X version goes live!

Which lifepath did you go with?

Or further break the game but who knows.

Anyhoo, I picked the Street Kid lifepath. Made my character look like Motoko Kusanagi because you know...Cyberpunk.

Okay I'm done with Halo Infinite. A lot of these areas are just filled to the brim with snipers that kill you in only a few shots (and I even maxed out my shield) and the bosses feel like damage sponges. As great as the combat is I'm not having fun anymore.

This series should have stopped after Halo Reach.

Okay I'm done with Halo Infinite. A lot of these areas are just filled to the brim with snipers that kill you in only a few shots (and I even maxed out my shield) and the bosses feel like damage sponges. As great as the combat is I'm not having fun anymore.

This series should have stopped after Halo Reach.
That sounds very disappointing. The trailer left me sceptical over the direction they were taking the campaing as well...
Stopping after Reach would mean no more milking that Halo cash cow, but it would have been so much better for the series to end on a good note.

That sounds very disappointing. The trailer left me sceptical over the direction they were taking the campaing as well...
Stopping after Reach would mean no more milking that Halo cash cow, but it would have been so much better for the series to end on a good note.
Don't let my opinion sway you too much, most people I know who've played the game like it more than I did. If you're unsure of it and have something to run it on you can always play it on Game Pass if you don't want to spend 60 bucks on it.

I'm mostly just tired of everything getting turned into some kind of open world thing. I know it must sound weird as hell to see me complain about that since the last game I finished playing (Cyberpunk 2077) is very much an open world game but a lot of the time for me open worlds feel like they exist just to cash in on a trend. Speaking of trends I'm not particularly amused at how some games are seemingly taking notes from BOTWs art style while at the same time ignoring all the interesting and immersive gameplay it had.

Or maybe I'm just in an overly cynical mood lately...

Back