Anime-Planet Secret Santa 2021

Ah man, and I asked for nothing depressing... T_T Well, I'll still give it a shot if I can find it, since the synopsis seems interesting, and I like the OP. I just need to mentally prepare myself, I guess lol.. T_T
I think it has its happy and sad moments. There is a bunch of loss of loved ones as time goes on. It was a very interesting anime though.

Ah man, and I asked for nothing depressing... T_T Well, I'll still give it a shot if I can find it, since the synopsis seems interesting, and I like the OP. I just need to mentally prepare myself, I guess lol.. T_T
I don't know what your Santa was thinking, really lol this one has melancholy, drama AND survival tags. Girls Last Tour is a Iyashikei, at least.

Well then, recommendations are in, and Secret Santa has blessed me with the following:
1. Anohana: The Flower we saw that day
2. Charlotte
3. Erased

All three were on my Plan to Watch list, so pretty hard to choose which one to start with

Also, do the Elves strip the recommendations of any extra text? Not sure if all of my Secret Santas so far preferred brevity over verbosity, or if I was just adding extra work to Elves the whole time

GLT was my secret Santa anime last year. I wouldn't call it depressing as much as bittersweet. The tone is pretty consistent throughout, so if after the first episode you think you can handle it I say you should give it a try.

Well then, recommendations are in, and Secret Santa has blessed me with the following:
2. Charlotte
3. Erased

All three were on my Plan to Watch list, so pretty hard to choose which one to start with

Also, do the Elves strip the recommendations of any extra text? Not sure if all of my Secret Santas so far preferred brevity over verbosity, or if I was just adding extra work to Elves the whole time
Nope all the extra info and stuff was with my recs. It depends on who is writing the recs I guess.

2. Charlotte
3. Erased

They'll include any text that you included in your present (as my Santa did in the quoted portion of my post). So I guess your Santa wanted to let the anime speak for themselves.

I got my picks!

Megalo box
(Well, Santa, I didn't know it was Cowboy Bebop inspired, so that gives it a plus. However, since I'm not really into boxing, it doesn't seem appealing to me, sorry to say. Let's just say if I do happen to watch it, please don't be mad at me if I don't happen to like it. I've surprised myself before, so who knows? Maybe you CAN get me actually interested in boxing anime! o: )
https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/megalo-box

Girl's Last Tour
(This one I've been kinda curious about, but since I'm not a huge fan of Apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic stories, I've been kinda on the fence. I don't dislike those genre's if they're not majorly depressing, but I wouldn't call them favorites of mine. However, since my Santa mentioned that the anime was actually relaxing, I'd be willing to give it a shot, if I can find the episodes on one of the streaming platforms I use.)
https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/girls-last-tour

Mushishi
(This one I'm most excited about! :love: And it's on Hulu, so a huge plus for me.)
https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/mushishi

To Your Eternity
(Another one I've been excited and curious about. However, I don't think it's on any of the streaming platforms I have, so hopefully it's available on A-P. :sweat: Haven't checked in a long time. I didn't know it was from the same director as A Silent Voice! O: :D )
https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/to-your-eternity

Space Dandy
(At this point, imma just have to look up the director of Cowboy Bebop, cause it looks like I might be missing some hidden (to me) gems. :frustrat: I think this one is on Hulu too, iirc.)

Well, Santa, you certainly did give me variety, so kudos to you. o/ I'll start Mushishi, once I'm done with my current bingo card. (Which could take me around a week, but we'll see.) Thank you, Santa, and apologies if it was hard to pick out stuff. :sweat:

Daaaamn, those are some pretty cool recs. I definitely think you should give girls last tour a chance, its really good.

Mmmhh, i have an intuition of who your SS is, but I won't open my mouth till Christmas :P

GLT was my secret Santa anime last year. I wouldn't call it depressing as much as bittersweet. The tone is pretty consistent throughout, so if after the first episode you think you can handle it I say you should give it a try.
I was referring to Nael's comment about To Your Eternity being very sad, but it's good to know that GLT isn't depressing, at least. Based on your description, I think I'd be able to handle GLT better.

Daaaamn, those are some pretty cool recs. I definitely think you should give girls last tour a chance, its really good.

Mmmhh, i have an intuition of who your SS is, but I won't open my mouth till Christmas :P
I have a feeling I know as well, but I won't say anything lol. XD

Got my picks and wanted to thank my santa for them!
1. A3 Season Spring and Summer
I actually played a bit of the mobile game for this one, and I remember it was interesting. Never really got around to watching the anime so this gives me the chance to actually watch it.
2. Given
Personally, I don't mind watching BL, and I have heard lots of good things about Given.
3. Antidote
My knowledge of Chinese anime is super limited, and I have only really heard of this one by name, but the premise seems quite interesting.
4. Sweetness and Lightning
I have seen lots of cute and wholesome clips of this one, so I am really looking forward to watching this one.
5. Mo Dao Zu Shi
This is probably the Chinese anime I have heard about the most. Lots of people I know have rated this show pretty highly, so I am quite curious about this one.
6. Scum's Wish
Hm, this one I have mixed feelings about. I know what the anime entails, since I heard a lot about it before. Not really one I would prioritize unless it could help on my current bingo card and I have time to watch it before the deadline.

Nonetheless thanks for all the picks, Santa! :balloon:

I got my picks, they look pretty good. Thanks santa!!

giphy.gif

Not gonna lie, your Santa is clearly made of awesome. All of these shows are great.

I got me some bold recommendations this year :D

Sleepy Princess In The Demon Castle (Slice of life/Comedy) - I have this on my WtW list??
Aldnoah.Zero season 1 (Action/Mecha) - I don't think I've heard of this one before (I mean the title kinda sorta sounds familiar, but idk)
Kamisama Kiss (Romance) - hey, I know of this one, I heard it was supposed to be good, and I actually knew I had this one on my WtW list :D

All three picks look interesting, and I'm not sure which one I'll pick yet. Thank you, Santa :)

Oh, yeah, which reminds me, btw - for all the panicky Santas out there (because there's always a handful of them every year) and the newcomers - we have more than 3 weeks to watch stuff, so don't feel bad when your recipient doesn't respond immediately or isn't done watching all your picks on the second day (not saying any names, but some people like to Thrawn stuff the day before Christmas, you know who you are, or some Stars have other shows to finish before diving into SS), so try to focus on making your own Santa happy first and don't forget to join the discussions and share your thoughts. Happy anime watching season to all!

I actually played a bit of the mobile game for this one, and I remember it was interesting. Never really got around to watching the anime so this gives me the chance to actually watch it.
2. Given
Personally, I don't mind watching BL, and I have heard lots of good things about Given.
3. Antidote
My knowledge of Chinese anime is super limited, and I have only really heard of this one by name, but the premise seems quite interesting.
I have seen lots of cute and wholesome clips of this one, so I am really looking forward to watching this one.
5. Mo Dao Zu Shi
This is probably the Chinese anime I have heard about the most. Lots of people I know have rated this show pretty highly, so I am quite curious about this one.
6. Scum's Wish
Hm, this one I have mixed feelings about. I know what the anime entails, since I heard a lot about it before. Not really one I would prioritize unless it could help on my current bingo card and I have time to watch it before the deadline.

We really need more Santas reccing donghua series, 'cause China has really been stepping up their game these past few years. Hope you enjoy them!

I got these:

1) Polar Bear Cafe
2) Excel Saga
3) Millennium Actress

Looking forward to millennium actress because satoshi kon but otherwise these... can at least be pleasant surprises
YAAAAASSS, Polar Bear Cafe! :banana:

2. Given
3. Antidote
5. Mo Dao Zu Shi
6. Scum's Wish

Don't think I've heard of Antidote, but otherwise, you pretty much struck gold. A3 was recommended to me for bingo before, but I haven't had the chance to watch it yet. But it looks interesting, and seems right up my alley.

I got
  1. Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
  2. Izetta: The Last Witch
  3. Kiss Him, Not Me (manga)
  4. Mary and the Witch's Flower (bonus)
Going from the synopsys, the manga pick is a tad questionable, but I will give it the benefit of the doubt. Dragon Maid is quite famous, I think, and not just because of this research paper, so that could be fun to watch. Movies are always nice and I heard Mary described as "Ghibli-like", so that should be good. And I'm really excited to finally watch Izetta.

Thank you, Santa!

P.S. While staring at NorthPole's profile picture today, it suddenly hit me that it's none other than Patchouli. What an honour!

2. Given
3. Antidote
5. Mo Dao Zu Shi
6. Scum's Wish

I have seen 5 of your 6 and loved them all!

Back