Daily Anime Thoughts

if I say Magical Girl Site, did enough people watch that to know what I mean?
vietnam-flashback.gif

Hm,... I'm in the mood for an anime that handles serious issues but in an optimistic way...

I find a lot of 'optimistic' series don't let themselves go anywhere too dark, and a lot of series that do go places that are pretty dark are inherently set up for tragedy. I guess there's the burden of making a series that goes somewhere dark but has an ending that feels 'realistic' and natural to the dark scenario, and the easy answer is for it to end grimly... I'd like more series that touch on real issues but that aren't well... you know... gestures. if I say Magical Girl Site, did enough people watch that to know what I mean? like a lot of edgy series throw a lot of dark elements in to shock and upset the viewer, and honestly, i'm okay with watching an edgy festival but what i really want is more series that handle that with nuance and even optimistically...

nge = nuance. optimistic? no. perhaps bittersweet
occasionally I do see a series that handles a topic like domestic abuse almost saccharinely, which... ahhh i don't know how to put it... I'm not looking for grimdark, but you know, I also want a level of complexity higher than Hallmark film, you know...
I hear there's an anime coming out exactly like that, called Stars Align. Hope they get all the resources they need to finish it and it doesn't get cancelled halfway through.

DAT

Super Crooks turned out to be pretty bad, which was a shock, but I would have expected it had I known it was adapted from a western graphic novel in the first place. It contains all of what bothers me about 90% of western "adult" media. Just the constant sex obsessed depravity, because god forbid "mature" themes constitute anything but sex and drugs.

DAT:

Really digging the new JoJo OP:

Has a riot grrrl squad feeling which is fitting and those visuals as always kick ass.
Definitely has that late 90s - early 00s aesthetic and sound that the show needs.

------

So after we got the animation masterclass that was Dragonball Super: Broly, they've decided to go full cgi for the next DBS movie? Pretty disappointed.

Hm,... I'm in the mood for an anime that handles serious issues but in an optimistic way...

I find a lot of 'optimistic' series don't let themselves go anywhere too dark, and a lot of series that do go places that are pretty dark are inherently set up for tragedy. I guess there's the burden of making a series that goes somewhere dark but has an ending that feels 'realistic' and natural to the dark scenario, and the easy answer is for it to end grimly... I'd like more series that touch on real issues but that aren't well... you know... gestures. if I say Magical Girl Site, did enough people watch that to know what I mean? like a lot of edgy series throw a lot of dark elements in to shock and upset the viewer, and honestly, i'm okay with watching an edgy festival but what i really want is more series that handle that with nuance and even optimistically...

occasionally I do see a series that handles a topic like domestic abuse almost saccharinely, which... ahhh i don't know how to put it... I'm not looking for grimdark, but you know, I also want a level of complexity higher than Hallmark film, you know...
All I can think about is Wonder Egg Priority reading this but you’ve already seen it lmao (still good tho)

DAT: Say what you will about the show itself, but goddamn the Giad Federacy dress uniforms in the second season of 86 are clean as hell. Ditto with Lena's black dress uniform in the San Magnolia military. Big ups to the character designer. Those characters look way cooler than they did in their old fatigues.

DAT: Say what you will about the show itself, but goddamn the Giad Federacy dress uniforms in the second season of 86 are clean as hell. Ditto with Lena's black dress uniform in the San Magnolia military. Big ups to the character designer. Those characters look way cooler than they did in their old fatigues.

Yeah, I've really appreciated the uniform designs this season and I like the character designs in general- for a gritty war drama, it really adds to the watchability factor for me. The art in general is pretty fantastic.

Makes me think of Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin, it honestly gets extremely dark with it's subject matter but it also such has a burning overflowing sense of optimism behind it in the face of such despair. The characters ultimately go through quite the ordeal but are still hopeful about the future.

All I can think about is Wonder Egg Priority reading this but you’ve already seen it lmao (still good tho)

Shame Wonder Egg's ending was so bad, it was pretty much the angriest I had been all year. All my speculations and theories going up in fucking smoke like that.

Makes me think of Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin, it honestly gets extremely dark with it's subject matter but it also such has a burning overflowing sense of optimism behind it in the face of such despair. The characters ultimately go through quite the ordeal but are still hopeful about the future.
Ah yeah that's a good one, so much hope in that anime it can make a grown man cry.

hm thinking of things that surprised me this season

i thought i'd hate domas from ousama ranking, but i actually love him. i love him. i love when a character i thought i'd hate becomes one i love, it doesn't happen to me a lot. hehe.

i love daida too, but i expected that. i love bojji, but i knew i would. love bebin. love hiling (also a bit of a surprise). i love desha and despa. i love the ousama rankings. i love them all. i love when they backstab each other. i love when they show surprising depths. i love the warm moments, the sad moments, the bittersweet moments. i love ousama ranking. rolls in it.

i love how like... 'optimistic/cartoony/expression-filled asoiaf-y / game of thronesy' ousama ranking is. lol

I need to watch! I think I was hesitant back when because I was waiting for it to finish airing to see how certain subject matter was hashed out, and then I just kind of, didn't follow up

Shame Wonder Egg's ending was so bad, it was pretty much the angriest I had been all year. All my speculations and theories going up in fucking smoke like that.
Yeah that’s true, they were building up Frill and everything as some super cool character. (Even tho I hate her lol)

But I’m not gonna let it ruin the good time I had in the beginning, especially with episode 7. Rika episode is best episode.

Last edited:
Back