Daily Manga Thoughts 2: The Return

I've had the brief, random thought of checking out the Sailor Moon manga but I've always been tepid towards the anime. Is there anything in particular that makes it stand out in comparison?

DMT:

I've read a bit of Goblin is Very Strong and this is very, very good. Also it's kind of gay:
JoE4trP.png

Which is even better.

Last edited:
nrqoLbp.png

i'm starting to think the kids were a bad influence on joe, not the other way around

DMT: God, trying to find reasonably priced physical copies of out-of-print manga is a frustrating experience.

Right now is an especially bad time to be buying a lot of out of print titles. If they're just out of print and not out of license, hold off - a lot of publishers are sending practically their entire backlists to reprint because of the demand for manga, trying to get ahead of resellers, but it'll take a while bc the whole of the printing industry is vastly overloaded from demand.

Though if you don't mind library discards and the like, it might be worth setting up alerts for particular titles on used book sites to let you know when copies in your preferred price range turn up.

DMT: Been reading a bunch of Kengan Ashura lately and was pleasantly surprised at how it handled the "violent vigilante cop" trope. When they first introduced the character it seemed like they were gonna gloss over the controversial parts of that trope and portray him as this badass, morally gray, stoic guy. But then his fight comes along and wow Kengan Ashura doesn't hold any punches,
whole sale revealing Akoya as a psychopath whose "justice" and "righteousness" are entirely self-serving, disconnected from reality, and needlessly cruel.

aNvY6Dc.jpg

(context: Adam is an American character and the manga artist Daromeon lived in the US for 14 years)
6J0ogeK.jpg

unQrNRU.jpg

6uxYpg1.jpg

M3D26iD.jpg

QfOTAzY.jpg

0GPUvum.jpg

RnHh0oj.jpg
It's not subtle at all, but still it's a refreshing change of pace to see a manga tear that trope to shreds.

DMT: DANDADAN is basically "what happens when you throw all you have at the wall and everything sticks."
No idea how it manages to keep on being so fun.

Heard it apparently had a few million views when the first few chapters were out and feels like it's really been steam rolling it's way up with it's popularity which is pretty great.

DMT: Ah nuts. Weekly Shounen Jump is in that fucky position again where it's too packed for newbies to survive without being instant hits.
There's too many older series, and somewhat ironically the issue is that the last time there was lots of space, there were actually many good candidates to plug the gap like Mashle, Magu-Chan, and Sakamoto Days, among others.

Dr. Stone announced it is entering its final stretch, and Hero Academia is basically in its final big arc, but neither are gonna end nearly fast enough to fix the current problem of space.
Black Clover honestly also oughta start wrapping up imo. Kinda wish there could be a transfer to Jump+ for some series or something as an alternative to cancellation.

Neru and Red Hood feel too competent as newbie series to already be at risk of not even lasting 20 chapters, yet here we might be anyways.
Blue Box is doing amazing, but it kinds proves my point by surviving as a crammed newbie through being an instant hit series. There's basically no room for new series to get by as "medium" series.

Last edited:
DMT:

I've read a bit of Goblin is Very Strong and this is very, very good. Also it's kind of gay:
JoE4trP.png

Which is even better.
I'm so sad it got axed. Freaking great manga.
--------

DMT: So Chainsaw Man won a Harvey Award, and all Fujimoto had to say was
Fujimoto said:
I consider this crude manga of mine unbefitting of any award
Based.
Rarely have I ever seen an author be so openly self-depreciating about their own work without it being the case that they actually hate it and only do it anymore for the paycheck and peer pressure.
I still love how he publicly dismissed his own series inspirations as "Ripping off Jujutsu Kaisen and Dorohedoro."

DMT:

I'm enjoying the shit out of Sweat and Soap. It is really damn great and wholesome. Honestly, you'd think it'd be some kind of super hentai ecchi manga with the weird sounding fetish premise but underneath it, it portrays a surprisingly rather mature and nuanced relationship between a woman who sweats a fuck ton and a man with a smelling fetish. I very much relate to this woman, I sweat fountains every single day. Finally, a romance manga for sweaty ass people like me.

Last edited:
DMT:

I'm enjoying the shit out of Sweat and Soap. It is really damn great and wholesome. Honestly, you'd think it'd be some kind of super hentai ecchi manga with the weird sounding fetish premise but underneath it, it portrays a surprisingly rather mature and nuanced relationship between a woman who sweats a fuck ton and a man with a smelling fetish. I very much relate to this woman, I sweat fountains every single day. Finally, a romance manga for sweaty ass people like me.

Sweat and Soap is ridiculously sweet, considering the premise. It's almost unfair, because reccing a manga about a guy with a body odor fetish sounds so sketchy. And the sex scenes are just the right amount of sexy without being too much, to boot. The last vol I read, I was admiring the heck out of how a bra was drawn. It looked so pretty!

I have heard there's a more explicit post-canon doujin available in English, though. I really need to snag it because I wanna see.

DMT: Okay, Witch Watch is so damn good now!
It's made by Kenta Shinohara, best known for Sket Dance and Astra Lost in Space. Some would recognize him as the former protegee of Gintama's Hideaki Sorachi.
With Witch Watch he's basically taken the Shounen and Shojou genres and smashed them together, and the end product is gold!
Of course, Shinohara has kept his signature writing style of using zany comedy and whimsy to make you attached, and then gives you surprise emotional gut-punches and wholesome content, but now he's also taken a dive into romance where it would just be a by-product in his previous series.
So it is heartwarming, heartbreaking, cozy, and hilarious. And you often can't quite predict which will be which.
It's rare for me to also love an entire cast so much, and I've had a bunch of expectations subverted in the best way on that front.
It zigs when I thought it would zag, and it makes a better product with it rather than just subverting for the sake of subverting.
I again have to emphasize how refreshing it is for it to basically be a blend of the shounen and shojou genres, which makes it another great case of experimentation from Weekly Shounen Jump.
It has only gotten better over time so far as the story and cast expands, and relationships deepen.

Oh and did I mention it's pretty fucking funny? It's pretty fucking funny.

The cool thing about Teppu is that it makes grappling interesting. I usually find grappling to be pretty boring, but Teppu's art makes it look much more dynamic and interesting. It's, also pretty great with striking, but I think that's easier to make look cool. I could almost feel that very first kick to the ribs that the Brazilian chick did during her demonstration.

DMT: Survival of the Sword King is fantastic.
Did not expect to enjoy an isekai so much. I guess being a manhwa helps it a bit, but this is genuinely great!

It's basically... Mob Psycho 100 meets Helck.
I thought it was gonna be boring power fantasy garbage like Solo Leveling, but instead it's a genuinely good story that challenges and disadvantages the protagonist despite the OPness of the protagonist, while also having a cool setting-premise and great side characters.

I'd love to see this author write Superman, because they clearly understand how to write and challenge overpowered characters without breaking the story, and how to make internal struggle a true focus.
It's also so refreshing to find myself asking questions about the series' lore, and then eventually it answers it in a way that recontextualizes much of the story itself.

And fuck me, the sweet bromance! I have never wanted a series to add the yaoi tag so much!
bromance.jpg

I LOVE THEM!

DMT: I started reading Oyasumi Punpun last night after hearing glowing reviews on YouTube. I'm mildly alarmed by how closely mirrored my own adolescence was to this little bird thing. Only four chapters in but it looks like this'll keep me occupied possibly until the new year.

DMT/WRMD: Red Hood is now very clearly being axed, and I also found out that apparently the editor of it is the same useless rubberstamper that was the editor for Samurai 8. That explains a lot, especially the damn exposition which I now suspect was pushed on the author rather than being the author's own flaw.

This author has a lot of promise, though. So I hope Red Hood will be to him what Sensei no Barrage was to Horikoshi. (And continue to draw buff women, plz)

DMT: Out of curiosity have there been any other webtoon translations being really strange on Webtoon lately? I just read the newest free Tower of God chapter (season 3 chapter 89) and the translation gets weird at points with the grammar to the point where I've had to read some of the panels multiple times cause I'm like "wait what? what did I just read?"

Back