Daily Anime Thoughts

Well, I always like to recommend Tropical-Rouge! Pretty Cure, which is currently airing and needs a lot more love. If you like a joyful show with magical girls and genuine sweetness it's probably for you.
That's one bold recommendation, I'll give you that :D

I noticed you want to watch Nichijou and I highly recommend that one too. It's absolutely hilarious.
I'll get to it eventually

tbh expecting anything decent to get no 1 is always kind of a lost cause

but I'm happy to see Ousama Ranking at number 8, that spells good things to me. It's usually the kind of thing I might not see much of a blip of

putting Ousama Ranking and Komi-san aside, nothing really catches my eye. eh
But the anime where the reincarnated 40 something who masturbates to his cousin in the body of a child tries to molest another child in her sleep IS decent, by anime standards.

Victory Gundam's writing is just atrociously bad and it's most infamously known for the bikini babe assault squad part:

It practically becomes parody at this point with how dumb it is, Tomino was at a very low point in his life.

I don't know, I'd say this is actually selling me on it, the fact that the main character is even baffled by this makes it all the funnier. This makes me think it's some high quality trash.

Tomino was depressed because he wanna do non-Gundam things. Bandai was pressuring him and rejecting his ideas because they wanna sell toys so he intentionally sabotaged it.

It worked.

When the DVDs were released, he told fans not to buy them.

Banger openings though. V Gundam's second op is a favorite of mine.

Some of the mecha designs, especially the main suits were great. The V2 is just really cool, especially it's MSV variants. The Zanscare Empire suits can eat shit though. Fucking motorcycles. FUCKING MOTORCYCLES.

I had heard, I was just curious if anything worthwhile came out of it. Speaking of Tomino and depression, how is Space Runaway Ideon?

and they were right because the older you go with literature the more creative, original, intellectual, cultural, and better it is. Case in point, there.

For the most part, while I don't agree with your post, I can understand how you got there. For everything, but this line. This take is so hot it singed my nose hairs from half way around the world. I shed a couple tears upon reading it. Yes, a few were for those nose hairs, but some were for your poor defeatist soul. To your actual claim though, that's hardly case in point.

Cheap novels led to vastly increased literacy and from that generation on you saw the rise of some of the most prolific writers in Western History. Many of which are still regarded as the greats today. It's the same argument really that I have about anime when people say that the 'golden age' was from a bygone era. When it comes to the mountain of the past, people read the thin gold layer on top. The cream of the crop as it were. Sometimes they delve into the layer beneath that which is full of the mundane and encompasses the largest part of the medium. Few stay in this layer though and even fewer reach the foundation, which is made of absolute garbage.

The result of this is that past era's are judged by their absolute best, while the current era, reader's tend to wade through the good, the bad, and ugly because keeping up with 'current' requires an amount of exploration. This tends to lead to the current era being judged more evenly rather than off it's 'best' or in some cases even more harshly because the bad tends to stick in people's minds. It is true though that when the barrier to entry becomes lower, the floor tends to lower. You see this in music, gaming, literature, and even anime to a certain extent. But you also see some phenomenal works come from the most unlikely places because that bar was lowered.

Be that as it may, there are indeed still 19th century and early 20th who are regarded as 'the greats' to this day, but you can look across many genre's and see vast improvements. Jules Verne and H.G. Wells were giants in Science Fiction and their influence can not be understated, but Frank Herbert came along and wrote what was at that time , arguably the most multi-layered and intricate series that the genre had ever seen in Dune. William Gibson in the 80's wrote a book that would led to the rise of modern cyberpunk which inspired new generations in both literature and film. And while authors like J.K. Rowling, George R. R. Martin, Stephen King have their flaws (and some have controversies) they all have showcased very creative and original works that can hit on the intellectual and cultural front. Those being some of the mainstream authors, that are recognized by people that don't even read and that have had significant impacts on their respective genre's. Seriously, whether people hate J.K. Rowling or Harry Potter, it changed children's literature forever...and for the better.

Within circles that do read you can get a long list of authors from the late 20th and 21st century that meet all your points and then some. Authors who changed the way their genre's were looked at or how they're written. Authors are every bit as capable of engaging the imagination today and being as intellectual as anything in the past.

Last edited:
DAT: Sunk cost fallacy exists for anime, and I really need to get out of it. I'm about 50ish episodes into the original Legend of the Galactic heroes, and after a big event I just can't stand the show anymore, even thinking about watching it makes me want to go do something else. But I'm over 50 episodes in, so it feels like a waste of time to drop it. On the other hand, I'm not even quite halfway through the series (which is 110 episodes), so continuing to watch it would be a waste of time if I'm not liking it any more.

Realistically, I will probably just drop it and go on to another show, it just sucks that it now feels like I wasted 50ish episodes worth of my time, even if I liked the show for most of that time. 50ish episodes is the length (or longer) of a lot of anime, so it feels like a big waste in the context of anime. but, watching another 50+ episodes of a show I don't like anymore would be an even bigger waste, so I just have to move on.

But the anime where the reincarnated 40 something who masturbates to his cousin in the body of a child tries to molest another child in her sleep IS decent, by anime standards.
sakuga, you know

i guess in the sense of if we're evaluating purely by animation quality i'd be forced to agree from what i've seen

except every time i've considered watching i read the forum posts and walk away

DAT: Sunk cost fallacy exists for anime, and I really need to get out of it. I'm about 50ish episodes into the original Legend of the Galactic heroes, and after a big event I just can't stand the show anymore, even thinking about watching it makes me want to go do something else. But I'm over 50 episodes in, so it feels like a waste of time to drop it. On the other hand, I'm not even quite halfway through the series (which is 110 episodes), so continuing to watch it would be a waste of time if I'm not liking it any more.

Realistically, I will probably just drop it and go on to another show, it just sucks that it now feels like I wasted 50ish episodes worth of my time, even if I liked the show for most of that time. 50ish episodes is the length (or longer) of a lot of anime, so it feels like a big waste in the context of anime. but, watching another 50+ episodes of a show I don't like anymore would be an even bigger waste, so I just have to move on.
you said you liked the show for most of that time so I'm curious what made you dislike it now? otherwise, i'd say, just drop it. but I wonder if it's an event in the show that will be more interesting than you think?

but that said, even though I like logh, I encourage everyone who isn't enjoying something to just drop it. we all have limited time, etc etc. you will never watch all the anime on earth even if you spent your while life doing it so might as well focus on one you like/COULD like

For the most part, while I don't agree with your post, I can understand how you got there. For everything, but this line. This take is so hot it singed my nose hairs from half way around the world. I shed a couple tears upon reading it. Yes, a few were for those nose hairs, but some were for your poor defeatist soul. To your actual claim though, that's hardly case in point.

Cheap novels led to vastly increased literacy and from that generation on you saw the rise of some of the most prolific writers in Western History. Many of which are still regarded as the greats today. It's the same argument really that I have about anime when people say that the 'golden age' was from a bygone era. When it comes to the mountain of the past, people read the thin gold layer on top. The cream of the crop as it were. Sometimes they delve into the layer beneath that which is full of the mundane and encompasses the largest part of the medium. Few stay in this layer though and even fewer reach the foundation, which is made of absolute garbage.

The result of this is that past era's are judged by their absolute best, while the current era, reader's tend to wade through the good, the bad, and ugly because keeping up with 'current' requires an amount of exploration. This tends to lead to the current era being judged more evenly rather than off it's 'best' or in some cases even more harshly because the bad tends to stick in people's minds. It is true though that when the barrier to entry becomes lower, the floor tends to lower. You see this in music, gaming, literature, and even anime to a certain extent. But you also see some phenomenal works come from the most unlikely places because that bar was lowered.

Be that as it may, there are indeed still 19th century and early 20th who are regarded as 'the greats' to this day, but you can look across many genre's and see vast improvements. Jules Verne and H.G. Wells were giants in Science Fiction and their influence can not be understated, but Frank Herbert came along and wrote what was at that time , arguably the most multi-layered and intricate series that the genre had ever seen in Dune. William Gibson in the 80's wrote a book that would led to the rise of modern cyberpunk which inspired new generations in both literature and film. And while authors like J.K. Rowling, George R. R. Martin, Stephen King have their flaws (and some have controversies) they all have showcased very creative and original works that can hit on the intellectual and cultural front. Those being some of the mainstream authors, that are recognized by people that don't even read and that have had significant impacts on their respective genre's. Seriously, whether people hate J.K. Rowling or Harry Potter, it changed children's literature forever...and for the better.

Within circles that do read you can get a long list of authors from the late 20th and 21st century that meet all your points and then some. Authors who changed the way their genre's were looked at or how they're written. Authors are every bit as capable of engaging the imagination today and being as intellectual as anything in the past.
Also, when you study literary discourse history you'll very quickly find that lots of people have always claimed that contemporary writing is garbage for the same reasons you listed people doing it today.
-------------------

DAT/DMT: Kengan Omega and Baki just had a crossover tribute chapter. It's always great to see solidarity in a smaller genre, and it makes me pretty happy to see that they'd do stuff like this to promote the new Baki anime.
a551d393-2750-49a4-bef4-d128f68841b3.png

Last edited:
DAT:

Crunchyroll's fall line-up is just disappointingly pitiful to me, with only like one or two shows I want to check out from them. They're really going hot and cold with seasons.

I'm just alternating between Funi subscriptions and CR subscriptions any more because they both feel like they're seesawing in terms of what interesting-looking stuff ends up where. I got Funi for Kageki Shojo, now I'm getting CR for Tricornered Window... if I'm lucky, I'll end up with another show I want to watch to help justify my subscription.

Maybe they could both team up to beat down Baki's creepy elephant eating dad.

New season of Baki is still Baki.
My favorite part is when Baki kidnaps the president of the United States. Baki does this so he can be sent to prison so he can fight a dude.

It's really just the next step in his training after shadow boxing a preying mantis for an entire episode.

looked through the last 10 anime announcements or so.
only one really striking me is Ame wo Tsugeru, but that's basically a kid's film
and it got me thinking on, as I get older, I get more and more tired of the subjects marketed to adults
which isn't to say I like to retreat into the innocence and purity of childhood or any of that dreck. childhood is an awful fucking place full of much more danger than people realize and that's why I find dark children's films especially inspiring.
I just mean that children's films are often removed of a desire to prove maturity through kind of shit dialogue, and usually are centered around either a piece of emotional drama or genuine adventure when they aren't made for the pre-child age groups (toddlers, etc). so that's GOOD.
See, of course I want things that appeal to me as an adult - I wish we got more of that. odd taxi is the most recent example i can think of, and it made its characters talking animals. a decision that was both fun and visually appealing.
I guess what I mean is the more squarely adult content is so much isekai and harem and generic waifu shit and sometimes it's like? do people love this? they must, because it sells. but it's driving me nuts here. Sorry I try to be positive about the anime scene, but on top of other things right now it's making me a little stir crazy, allow me my one grouchy moment. Ftr, I also have this issue with western animation in the sense that all adult western animation tends to either go for shock factor or gross out humour over actual serious mature content. But there's just less adult-oriented animation made in the western market, so it's hard to fully compare
I just mean the only distinction half the time between whether something is for kids or adults is some tits and ass and harem themes, rarely is it actually 'more mature content'. you could say maybe this is partially because if there isn't some serious tits and ass to censor, it might be better to sand down the edges and give it to all audiences
but this means certains themes and topics will never be addressed head on in a lot of works, instead going for Implications

of course, in manga you do see more content that does address serious themes, it's just that it'll never make enough waves to get animated most of the time.

you said you liked the show for most of that time so I'm curious what made you dislike it now? otherwise, i'd say, just drop it. but I wonder if it's an event in the show that will be more interesting than you think?

but that said, even though I like logh, I encourage everyone who isn't enjoying something to just drop it. we all have limited time, etc etc. you will never watch all the anime on earth even if you spent your while life doing it so might as well focus on one you like/COULD like

Yang loses the big battle (and presumably the entire series) right as he's about to kill Reinhard for following a random order to quit for no real reason. Its so contrived, and makes him seem like a total idiot to the point where its infuriating. I know its going to lead to a really annoying "rebellion" plot, because they're not going to just have Reinhard win and be in control for the next 50+ episodes, so I just have no reason to keep watching, since I now hate both the characters and whoever wrote the story. I didn't expect Reinhard to die here, but Yang needed a win, instead the bad guys just won because Yang is written as a spineless idiot. I don't need to deal with episode after episode of the bad guys taking over until Yang inevitably starts/joins a rebellion.

Also, I'm getting really sick of the "both sides are bad" argument of the show. The Empire fairly recently in the show's universe's history used to kill babies for being even slightly disabled, and they have more then a passing resemblance to Nazis. They're the damn bad guys regardless of the corruption of the Alliance, but the show is obsessed with pretending that both sides are equally bad and I'm quite frankly sick of it.This is apparently because the writer of the books the show is based on had his own stupid "everyone is bad" philosophy which he definitely put into the story, and its grown to really irritate me.

Also, I got spoiled to Yang dying, and I really don't need the extremely bland Julian vs Reinhard for 20+ episodes.

You're right about limited time, and not being able to watch everything. I watched over 100 episodes of Dragon ball Super, but it had just enough to keep me going until the end. Legend of the Galactic Heroes doesn't, so it makes sense to just switch to something I'm more interested in.

Back