Daily Manga Thoughts 2: The Return

DMT:
Well, its nice to see people enjoying Chainsaw man, though I can't say that I did. Usually when I like a series, I want it to have some sense of clarity. It doesn't have to be a lot, just enough to know that you're going to like the direction with the story/characters. And I guess I never felt that with Chainsaw man.

On another note, I really like the first three chapters of Red Hood. It has characters killing supernatural monsters and the relationship between Velou and Grimm reminds me an awful lot of Clare and Raki from Claymore. Being reminded of a series I grew up with already has me feeling positive about this new series. So I pray to God that it doesn't get the ax.

DMT: I am still so fucking stoked that someone licensed Double for an English print release. Ayako Noda/Niboshiko Arai has some absolutely killer art, but I figured the best I was ever gonna get was a handful of her bl on a subscription service because it's killer art but also the character designs are so intentionally awkward and gangly and not pretty at all and her stories are interesting but also a bit opaque in a way. I adore all of her work I've read to pieces but I've learned that my tastes are apparently less sellable, so you could've knocked me over with a feather.

It really is a shame that Tokyopop still has the same shitty CEO as always because someone in that company has some good taste in licenses and they could probably develop a good niche in the market if the boss could keep from running his mouth.

DMT2: I'm also super stoked that someone finally decided to license a Harada title in print. Bless Fakku's bl imprint Kuma for getting Yoru to Asa no Uta, getting that is worth scrolling past all the balloon-tit hentai on their store to buy the digital/print double release.

DMT:
Recently finished the Chio's School Road manga.
It's a Nichijou-esque comedy manga about whatever shenanigans the lead character gets into on her way to school. The characters are SO good and Chio has such good chemistry with her friend, Manana, it's always a treat to see them getting into any of their antics.

The bombastic art really sells the crazy feats of athleticism Chio frequently pulls off as well as the characters' slightly scummy, almost Konosuba-esque friendship. It's honestly the closest thing to Nichijou I've ever read. I loved it so much I got genuinely bummed when it was over.

DMT:
Recently finished the Chio's School Road manga.
It's a Nichijou-esque comedy manga about whatever shenanigans the lead character gets into on her way to school. The characters are SO good and Chio has such good chemistry with her friend, Manana, it's always a treat to see them getting into any of their antics.

The bombastic art really sells the crazy feats of athleticism Chio frequently pulls off as well as the characters' slightly scummy, almost Konosuba-esque friendship. It's honestly the closest thing to Nichijou I've ever read. I loved it so much I got genuinely bummed when it was over.

I wish the anime adaptation of this was better.........good god, the anime is so disappointing and lifeless by comparison.

Last edited:
I've been seeing Seven Seas celebrating their release of the novels by Mo Xiang Tong Xiu and the hype surrounding it which has me wondering "when did I miss the boat on Chinese gay fantasy?"

I've been seeing Seven Seas celebrating their release of the novels by Mo Xiang Tong Xiu and the hype surrounding it which has me wondering "when did I miss the boat on Chinese gay fantasy?"

Danmei has only really started making inroads into English-speaking fandom in the last year or so, so have you missed the boat or is it that a bunch of people got on the boat earlier because they had a dock available to reach the boat and now it's making its way to a bigger dock that holds more people?

It's a tiny bit terrifying how fast the presales on those novels blew up, though. The diehard fans who've been around for a while are DIEHARD.

Danmei has only really started making inroads into English-speaking fandom in the last year or so, so have you missed the boat or is it that a bunch of people got on the boat earlier because they had a dock available to reach the boat and now it's making its way to a bigger dock that holds more people?

It's a tiny bit terrifying how fast the presales on those novels blew up, though. The diehard fans who've been around for a while are DIEHARD.

I guess lol but yeah that's why I was a little confused, I hadn't even heard of these novels before and yet they're bigger than Jesus it seems. I just wasn't sure if this was a fandom I simply wasn't aware of or another case of me being woefully out of touch lol.

I guess lol but yeah that's why I was a little confused, I hadn't even heard of these novels before and yet they're bigger than Jesus it seems. I just wasn't sure if this was a fandom I simply wasn't aware of or another case of me being woefully out of touch lol.

MDZS is one I heard about via word of mouth when the animation started airing in, I guess, 2018? But it wasn't until half the people on my twitter started watching The Untamed on Netflix last year that I noticed it really starting to take off outside a handful of Anglophone nerds and a bunch of bilingual fans in various Asian countries - there's a huge fandom out there, but it's been largely not in English, so much easier to miss if you don't speak Chinese.

DMT: My boss is on vacation this week so I've been bringing my tablet to work thinking I could watch anime in my cubicle in between harassing unsuspecting customers into buying our shitty services making calls. Instead I've just been reading manga this entire time. Huh. I find myself thinking "how can I watch an episode of anime, I have no time!" But then I read like 10 chapters of manga before bed.

Back