Peach Boy Riverside

"The director explained that the first and second chapters shift in both perspective and theme, switching from Mikoto to Sally's point of view. Ueda stated that while this works in a novel or comic form, for an anime it's easier to follow a story when there is a single main character. Since Peach Boy Riverside is slated to run for only 12 episodes, scriptwriter Ōchi grappled with how to make Sally the main character. However, casting Sally as the primary lead wasn't a popular idea.

"I think the majority of the staff beside myself intended to make Mikoto the main character when the anime was first announced," Ueda said. The director felt the real start to the story was when Sally and Frau met, and so he decided to show Mikoto and Sally meeting in a flashback."
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...ime-airing-out-of-chronological-order/.174683

Pretty sure the director just wants to give his waifu a more prominent role in the anime, considering the weird tentacle scene that apparently was so important to be put into the first episode.

I don't know, maybe just me, but starting from chapter 2 and skipping her introduction really gives me trouble finding any reason to care about her. Probably gonna drop it next episode.

Wait so is this true or?
Yes! They f*&^ up the watch order. Here is the explanation:
https://www.animatetimes.com/news/details.php?id=1623992748 (Japanese)
https://twitter.com/peachboy_anime/status/1410596528385757204 (japanese)
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...ime-airing-out-of-chronological-order/.174683 (English)

Tl;dr Japanese streaming services have the correct order, TV has the wrong one. I am too lazy to look for a new information on it, but the first episode should air soon.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...ime-airing-out-of-chronological-order/.174683

Pretty sure the director just wants to give his waifu a more prominent role in the anime, considering the weird tentacle scene that apparently was so important to be put into the first episode.

I don't know, maybe just me, but starting from chapter 2 and skipping her introduction really gives me trouble finding any reason to care about her. Probably gonna drop it next episode.
They're going back to chapter 1 with episode 4. I imagine the rest of the series will be fairly straightforward with adapting the material so I don't see a big deal to be made here.

They're going back to chapter 1 with episode 4. I imagine the rest of the series will be fairly straightforward with adapting the material so I don't see a big deal to be made here.
In the interview he said: "If we animated the series based on the manga as is, it would end in the middle of the story," Ueda said."
If it's going straightforward with the adaption later, then don't they run into the same problem?

In the interview he said: "If we animated the series based on the manga as is, it would end in the middle of the story," Ueda said."
If it's going straightforward with the adaption later, then don't they run into the same problem?
I don't really understand that either to tell the truth. They would still be adapting the same amount of content either way. I'm fine with trusting that it'll work since things seem alright for now.

Yes! They f*&^ up the watch order. Here is the explanation:
https://www.animatetimes.com/news/details.php?id=1623992748 (Japanese)
https://twitter.com/peachboy_anime/status/1410596528385757204 (japanese)
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...ime-airing-out-of-chronological-order/.174683 (English)

Tl;dr Japanese streaming services have the correct order, TV has the wrong one. I am too lazy to look for a new information on it, but the first episode should air soon.
Thanks for explaining everyone. But hmmm I wouldn't call it fucking up or "wrong order" since the director has a narrative purpose towards it. But as you guys said we'll have to see how it goes.

That's fair. I actually find the "mystery" behind Sally compelling and a full exposition dump at the beginning might have been annoying. I was pretty drawn in by the whole "unusual encounter" thing, not amazingly unique or anything but enough to keep me watching for now.

Thanks for explaining everyone. But hmmm I wouldn't call it fucking up or "wrong order" since the director has a narrative purpose towards it. But as you guys said we'll have to see how it goes.

That's fair. I actually find the "mystery" behind Sally compelling and a full exposition dump at the beginning might have been annoying. I was pretty drawn in by the whole "unusual encounter" thing, not amazingly unique or anything but enough to keep me watching for now.
It is exactly what I said. Imagine I write a story of how I meet my dream girl. And the 1st chapter of my book is wedding. Would not it be complete garbage? Would you want to read it? No. Because the reader is to know the backstory, how everything started.

And claims like ‘we had to do that, otherwise, we would not have the possibility to animate the entire manga,’ are garbage, too. If you want to PR your work, you are to present a complete result of your labor and not that half-assed joke of an animated series.

But this is my opinion and you are free not to share it and I am perfectly aware that my salt will not change anything, but it is somewhat of a pity that Peach Boy Riverside got such an anime adaptation.

I don't really understand that either to tell the truth. They would still be adapting the same amount of content either way. I'm fine with trusting that it'll work since things seem alright for now.
It's not like I hate what they are doing. At least for now. It just really failed to draw me in.

I read the first couple of chapters, just to compare it, and there the first chapter made me much more interested than the first episode of the adaption. Getting at least a few hints of a motivation for the main character really helped.

Even if the adaption crashes and burns, I'll probably continue with the manga now.

Not sure what people are complaining about, the first chapter is negligible at best.

Sally is a rowdy princess who yearns for adventure outside her kingdom. Her father, the king, is opposed to this for her safety. She one day meets a girl... a boy... a girly boy, named Mikoto who is an adventurer so she hangs out with him to grill him for information. Oni attack the kingdom and blackmail the king. Oni leader sees Mikoto, shits his pants and goes back to his army to convince them to abandon this conquest. Sally runs after the oni out of curiosity (and because her Momo-Trigger was pulsating). Mikoto arrives at the oni army and wipes them all out with literally no effort while enjoying every minute of it. Sally wants to tag along but cannot stomach the cruel gory scene in front of her and passes out. Sally gains conviction from this event tells her father she's leaving for an adventure. She cuts off her beautiful twintails (I hate this, I hate this with every fiber of my being... Cutting off her beautiful long twin tails into some disgusting revolting male cut is a mortal sin and I shall not stand by it!!) Uh... sorry, I blacked out for a moment... where was I? Oh yes. This for some reason convinces the king to let her go and she sets off on her journey. End of chapter 1. Chapter 2 starts off exactly where episode 1 does.
So yeah, while it is technically some character building, its VERY minor, its hardly worth complaining over. This really shouldn't make or break her character for you. Her reason for leaving behind her kingdom is nothing special. Her reason for searching for Mikoto is nothing special. Her overall motivation is nothing special. She didn't really change as a character, she just found out more about the world, but then proceeded to travel down the same path she was already on.

So the only reason I can see why people would be upset about them leaving chapter 1 for later, is because they're purists who just can't deal with even the most miniscule of changes, even if its just a minor structural change. I think leaving it for later as a flashback shouldn't ruin the anime for you, but that's just my opinion. For all I know they might mess it up, but as of yet I see no problem with the decision they made.

The thing that bothered me in the second episode however is:
As much as I like Carrot (the oni lady), when she blew a hole in the castle she massacred dozens of innocent civilians, including children. So when they captured her and were aware that she was the culprit, they didn't take it serious at all, they didn't discuss it, they didn't even mention it. I'm not saying they should have outright executed her or anything, but despite it being a very serious matter, they just laughed it all off. "What, she killed a bunch of children? Oh but come on look at that cute face, I can't stay mad at her!". So yeah...

Episode 2.
...What are they springing Eyeball for again? She kind of murdered a ton of people just an episode ago. I don't exactly think that's a good reason to bust her out of jail.

So the only reason I can see why people would be upset about them leaving chapter 1 for later, is because they're purists who just can't deal with even the most miniscule of changes, even if its just a minor structural change.

This. ^

Or just the general need to find something to complain about which is everywhere these days.

Anyways...

Frau is still awesome. I've decided Sally is cool too, but not like Frau, because that is just not physically possible. What else? Hmmm...

Overall the episode was fine, but not the biggest fan of characters chatting it up while they fight for their lives. Not sure how I feel about Mikoto yet... it is kind of refreshing having him be a selfish sort of character (in the sense he was only attacking ogres for personal grudges and not due to a desire to be all good and such). More often than not in shows like this, we end up with the goody-two-shoes sort of characters that are typical in the spirit of shounen stuff, and while there is nothing wrong with it, it is nice to buck the trend now and again. Still, with everything going on in the world, it is a bit jarring to hear any sort of "good" character talk about wanting to murder, maim or slaughter others just because they are different than themselves. This is fictional fantasy stuff between humans and demihumans so not going to read into it any more than that but still makes it hard to sympathize with a character whose motivation for their actions is "I just hate them and enjoy killing them". He has a talking dog though, and I like that. But Sally has a Frau, who can casually kick down jail cell doors, so she wins.

Finally, it is a good thing they saved the city! Oh, wait... nvm. Better luck next settlement of human habitation guys!

Frau gang 4 life! Also Sally is cool I guess, she seems to be more full of ideals but when things get crazy, that inner 'Her' takes over, them wires get crossed. As for the other MC, eh, just not as cool. Like sure he's an ogre/monster stopping badass, but hopefully he can wrangle with the city wiper bro. I mean the Prince became He Who Holds Arms..

She has the boob pocket. Worst shirt design ever, that's gotta chafe horribly.

Hey the animation ain't bad, too bad the character design leaves something to be desired. Especially on peach girl here. Frau's is almost good but she's wearing a sailor uniform for some incredible reason. That kinda sucks.

She has the boob pocket. Worst shirt design ever, that's gotta chafe horribly.

Hey the animation ain't bad, too bad the character design leaves something to be desired. Especially on peach girl here. Frau's is almost good but she's wearing a sailor uniform for some incredible reason. That kinda sucks.
That incredible reason is style. Duh. She said it herself.
848d03365bd9b4a91f8d6fe89747eec6fb75f678.png

That incredible reason is style. Duh. She said it herself.
848d03365bd9b4a91f8d6fe89747eec6fb75f678.png
Still an incredibly overused type of outfit, would have been cooler if she were wearing some kind of medieval style clothing. Would be cool if any of these characters were, really.

Hell yeah, trap with a sword. This is what I'm here for. Not disappointed!

Well I also heard his VA is the same VA as Nagisa in the AssClass OVA. I have many reasons.

One-horn's eye power is actually kind of cool. I like how she can just take a thing out and crush it, and a bunch of little zelda esque eye floaties show up. That's a cool way for it to work.
Just so it's fair, even though you desperately want to kill me, I'm just going to tell you I called for reinforcements.

Holy shit, riku from kino's journey is here. How are you fella

Last edited:
Back