Horror Anime Recommendations

SilentBookworm

Does anybody have an recommendations for good or at least decent horror anime? And I mean straight-up horror, not just a show with horror elements like The Promised Neverland, Attack on Titan or Jujutsu Kaisen. I've watched plenty of them but I haven't really heard about nor managed to find any new ones as of late.

Horror (or at least heavily horror-based) anime I've seen:

Ajin: Demi-Human
Another
Blood: The Last Vampire
Boogiepop Phantom
Denpa Teki na Kanojo
Devilman: Crybaby
Ghost Hunt
Highschool of the Dead
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei
Parasyte -the maxim-
Perfect Blue
Requiem from Darkness
School-Live!
Shiki
Tokyo Ghoul
Tokyo Ghoul √A
The Curse of Kazuo Umezu
Umineko no Naku Koro ni
Yamishibai
(1-7)

And here are horror anime I already have in the queue:

Amrita no Kyouen
Aoi Bungaku Series
Ayakashi: Japanese Classic Horror
Blood+
Blood-C
Blue Gender
Boogiepop and Others
Chimera
Hell Girl
High-Rise Invasion
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Sotsu
Mermaid Forest
Mermaid's Scar
Mieruko-chan
Mononoke

The Resident Evil animated movies
RIN: Daughters of Mnemosyne
Shadow House
Tokyo Ghoul:re

I've also heard about the Junji Ito "Collection" but eventually decided against it because everything I hear about it sounds bad and I'm aware of Happy Sugar Life but it just doesn't sound like what I'm looking for.

Last edited:
I'm aware of Happy Sugar Life but it just doesn't sound like what I'm looking for.
Give it a chance!! Personally i rlly enjoyed it, but it does have some flaws here and there that you just glossed over because the show as a whole is pretty good.

Anyways here are some recs:

Some of them don't necessarily have the horror tag but fit the category in my opinion.

:ramen:

Anyways here are some recs:

Some of them don't necessarily have the horror tag but fit the category in my opinion.

:ramen:

I wasn't sure if they counted so I didn't list them but I have seen Angel's Egg, Akira, and Serial Experiments Lain and I've been meaning to get around to Dorohedoro and Monster for a while now (in fact I have the entire series of both in manga form). I've been on the fence about seeing the original Berserk anime, mainly because I hear it's a bit light on the animation. I haven't heard much about Japan Sinks 2020, how is it?

Give it a chance!! Personally i rlly enjoyed it, but it does have some flaws here and there that you just glossed over because the show as a whole is pretty good.

Hmm I might give it some more thought then :cereal:

I wasn't sure if they counted so I didn't list them but I have seen Angel's Egg, Akira, and Serial Experiments Lain
Oops, sorry, I didn't realize @.@

I've been meaning to get around to Dorohedoro and Monster for a while now (in fact I have the entire series of both in manga form).
I was going to skip dorohedoro because of its CGI, but it was a super pleasant surprise. I have no idea how they pulled it off at mappa but its one of the few CGI anime I've enjoyed.

Okay, hear me out- Monster is a veeeeery slow burn type of story. They are a lot of two episode arc that become boring, but they are totally worth watching. The ending its just *chef kisses* and hey if it helps, its one of the five anime I've given 5 stars.

I've been on the fence about seeing the original Berserk anime, mainly because I hear it's a bit light on the animation.
I feel it actually compliments the story since it that medieval old kind of style and also, you are missing out on the iconic soundtrack with the movies ;-; I swear to god, once you've finished the anime, you will not hear the soundtrack the same way-

I haven't heard much about Japan Sinks 2020, how is it?
Some people really hate it since it has some, lets say, not very believable moments, but I thought it was a pretty good psychological horror anime thb. You might get turned off by the weird animation but, you learn to love it ^^:

I don't think that this would be the type of horror that you're looking for, but I definitely recommend Angels of Death it's really good even if it isn't the type of horror you're exactly looking for!

I don't think that this would be the type of horror that you're looking for, but I definitely recommend Angels of Death it's really good even if it isn't the type of horror you're exactly looking for!

Hmm looks pretty interesting, I might check it out.

Devil's Line and Okamikakushi seem like they're up my alley, I've already seen Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress which I thought leaned a bit more in the "action with horror elements" category.

Hmm looks pretty interesting, I might check it out.

Devil's Line and Okamikakushi seem like they're up my alley, I've already seen Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress which I thought leaned a bit more in the "action with horror elements" category.
I didn't really know what to put so I threw in Kabaneri for fun. I like it and to me it has horror vibes like you said. I suppose one other could be https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/ayakashi The second episode is a bit brutal but I liked the concept of the anime anyways.

1. Hmm I'll look into it
2. Does that really count?
3. I'll check it out
4. Could be interesting
5. Seen it
6. Seen it
7. Seen the series, still need to watch Rebellion
8. Seen it
9. Seen it
10. Seen it
11. Already in the queue
12. Technically seen it but its been years