Higehiro: After Being Rejected, I Shaved and Took in a High School Runaway

Never watched the anime and I never will. I don't think I wanna watch a minor date an man in his mid 20s
This... isn't happening? Actually the "guy" suggested is more focused on a woman older than him and a woman in her early 20's...

Okay i know what you mean, and i certainly wouldn't encourage you to watch a show which very well could end in such a way but equally i wouldn't advice generalising a currently not slightly present element into a genre because a possibility. The show actually has many faults but its very little (thus far) to do with a guy dating a minor over trying to tackle a rather dark subject which is sadly quite likely happening to some people in the world.
Again i wouldn't suggest watching it if you dislike it's setup but i wouldn't really advise grouping/generalising a opinion without seeing what its about either. You could look to KoiKimo (the other age-gap show airing this season) and it certainly would look like just what you described on the surface yet actually its pretty light hearted comedy with some well written characters. Each to their own of course.

i wonder what the rules around her staying was
It's a fair question, and not one that goes into the "too real" category. I think there should be a very specific answer to this, just like there should be a very specific answer to how many (in a general sense) of the guys she slept with were scumbags and how many weren't. And just like there should be an answer to whether she stayed with all of them for as long as they'd have her, or if she ever ran away from them at the first opportunity.

We don't need to dwell on these things, but...if the story is going to keep making this a concern (and, to some degree, it should), then these are the kinds of things that need to get covered--at least broadly.

Or, said another way: her backstory can only be as vague as the story is dependent on it. That is, the more it matters to the story that she went through whatever she went through in her time hopping from bed to bed, the more specific that time needs to become.

but when the plot rides on it as likely to be (assumption) a actual part of the main plot or story, it does make you ask the questions then.
I think it's easier to forgive in lighter shows than serious ones, even if the conveniences are central to the plot. And that really good shows can do conveniences in a way that works.
Taiga and Ryuuji are crushing on one another's best friends. And they just so happen to live next door to each other.
Hanabi's crush is in love with Mugi's crush.
Ichika saves her best friend's brother.
Kazuya and Chizuru are neighbors. And their grandmothers are best friends. At the same hospital.

YMMV.

when I like stuff i will see the problems bigger... at least on a serious show
I think it sounds like you generally hold a show to its own standards. Like, Aho-Girl is absurdist, so it's not trying to be realistic. But if it betrayed its established rules and, I dunno, had Akkun stab Yoshino to death, you'd probably call it out.

With this show, the first episode (or so) established a tone and a level of maturity that it has not delivered on. Whether we mean the gratuitous flashback scene or the lack of sharpness in the Goto-nee-san scene.

Then again, if we apply your assertion elsewhere, your problems with Rent-a-Girlfriend indicate that you really, really liked the show and were disappointed when it didn't rise to its typical heights. Which...yeah, I guess ignore what I just said. This is probably the right thing.

it's pretty sad seeing how bland and indeed shallow their interactions are.
I think I said the author has written a check he can't cash, with this series, and I stand by that.

though i do hope he is concerned about her here over just being the hero
I think he is. I mean, I think he sincerely wants her to be okay. But just like she's too comfortable being under his aegis, he's too invested in keeping her insulated to really set her straight--which is basically what Goto says to her when she gives her the "I'm an indifferent third party" treatment.

anyone else sad she got Gotou's number?
No, but I know what you mean.

Of course...she probably has Gal Co-Worker's number, too.

Actually, was Yoshida ever described to be lonely? Not saying he was or wasn't, just i can't recall
To confirm: he describes himself as a "lonely loser" at the end of Ep 3, after describing how he loves having Sayu to come home to and how much better his life is now that he isn't alone. Which, sure, is maybe a little bit self-deprecating, but, given everything he lists to her, would seem to be accurate.

i can't even figure out if she is jealous (probably) of them in a romantic sense or is she maybe just a bit lonely and getting the message "Going out to dinner with I-cups" or "Going on a movie date back later" just making her down?
Both, I think? But honestly I wonder this a lot watching her reactions.

Sadly i don't see this upcoming episode serving to help her at all, i see it as something to make her upset or something, potentially make Yoshida her "hero" by him helping her/saving her from him and i dunno, just a dumb waste of time.
If Yoshida goes full hero mode on the store creeper, I'm rage quitting this show. Because I just remembered yesterday that it's not one of my lotto picks. Somehow Koikimo is <3.

they can sip miso whilst watching KoiKimo's secret unaired "Ichika sees Rio" episode and i would be okay with this... assuming we can watch too.
If the rest of this show is them sitting around doing a mild version of MST3K to episodes of Koikimo I'll give it 5 stars.

I petition to have him become faceless (all episode though).
Petition granted. The motion has passed. Somebody phone the studio immediately. If we don't at least get a mosaic over his face moving forward, we riot.

I think the real problem is just that it's very convenient for the plot. Which, of course, I know everyone has already said, so that point itself isn't new. I'm just saying that the supreme unlikelihood of the event colors everything else (logical points or otherwise) about it--but specifically because it's clearly a convenience for something nefarious. Were it something lighter, like finding out (for example) that Gal Co-Worker is Office Lady B's sister, I think we'd just roll with it, even if we were quietly shaking our heads as we did.
Next week on Higehiro: Sayu meets her new coworker at the Plot Convenience Store.

Okay--you should be proud of that one.
Oh, don't worry, I was.

It should be both--in that it should alternate constantly between the two so that she doesn't know what she feels.
This is the way. No! Bad SMores! No annoying memes as comment responses!

The character "conflict" that should drive their relationship is that neither of them knows how to feel about the other. They should both fall in love with the other, but what kind of love is it? Is it entirely platonic? Is it romantic love? Is it just that they're together so much and aren't related and have these strong connections and desires for connection (remember: they're both alone and lonely) and normal urges and hey there's someone and I like 'em well enough?

He's "saving" her, in some sense, which makes him a Romantic figure to her. And she "needs" his protection, in some sense, which makes her a Romantic figure to him. They're both kind of high off of the rose-colored specialness of the situation: he feels like a hero and she feels cherished.

But they also seem to naturally get along (at least insofar as the interactions we have seen are concerned--shallow though they mostly are) and have that burgeoning friendship.

So, she should feel abandoned (as she did) when he wouldn't come home, when he's out with women from work--not just because she thinks she'll lose her safe haven but because she thinks she'll lose him. And he should be freaking out the moment he hears that there's any male presence of any kind around her (such as at work) because he doesn't want to lose his place as protector--because, without it, why would she stick around?

Why are you not writing this show for us?

Because it's easy.
This :)

We're pre-judging, of course, but we're going to be right.
Also this :(

Imagine a better version of the Goto-nee-san scene where she admits that's what happened, that she didn't know what she was going to do, and that--after being f***ed and f***ed over by some dude (whoever it was), she immediately offered herself up to the first guy she saw. That that was how low she'd gotten.
#ReleaseTheInterregnumCut

this wont happen but the point is, its not impossible.
Anime rules say it most certainly IS impossible, though.

Actually, was Yoshida ever described to be lonely?
To confirm: he describes himself as a "lonely loser" at the end of Ep 3, after describing how he loves having Sayu to come home to and how much better his life is now that he isn't alone. Which, sure, is maybe a little bit self-deprecating, but, given everything he lists to her, would seem to be accurate.
I can understand you missing this, though, as the camera was focused on Sayu's ass in those black panties the entire time.

Still, a friendship with some ground would be nice, lets get some humour or something between them!
This! I can't believe I didn't notice it until now, but part of this anime feeling dissatisfying is the lack of development in their relationship. Are they even friends? I don't know. I haven't seen it. I've seen more of OLB stalking Yoshida than I have of the two "main characters" getting along or even just being at peace in each other's company.

But if it betrayed its established rules and, I dunno, had Akkun stab Yoshino to death, you'd probably call it out.
I would watch the crap out of that episode.

Never watched the anime and I never will. I don't think I wanna watch a minor date an man in his mid 20s
These two dating would be an absolutely shocking development, and if there's one thing this show ain't, it's shocking. Or interesting. Don't skip it because it has a high school girl dating an older guy- because it doesn't. Skip it because it's boring.

Sayu meets her new coworker at the Plot Convenience Store.
I am FURIOUS at myself for missing this.

Ugh--so good.

I hope those potatoes are jealous. 'Cus they should be.

I just remembered yesterday that it's not one of my lotto picks. Somehow Koikimo is <3.
Sweet! I don't usually hear people mention lotto picks in positive light.

It's just a better show. In every way.

Which I assume means it's just us watching it. While everyone else fawns over Sayu.

[checks internet]

Goddammit.

WATCH KOIKIMO YOU PLEBS.

If the rest of this show is them sitting around doing a mild version of MST3K to episodes of Koikimo I'll give it 5 stars.
So...them sitting there occasionally laughing or going "awww" or commenting that Rio is soooo cool?

Already better than whatever comes next week.

#ReleaseTheInterregnumCut
[stops working on Arietty of the Lost Rival: A Mishima Tale doujin]

[begins work on The Full-to-Bursting Emptiness of His Once-Lonely Apartment, an AU Higehiro stage play]

the camera was focused on Sayu's ass in those black panties the entire time.
...is it weird that I forgot this happened?

I can't believe I didn't notice it until now, but part of this anime feeling dissatisfying is the lack of development in their relationship.
Like @Madoka said, it's two stories at once, and the show doesn't know which it wants to tell.

You'd think it would be about Sayu and Yoshida. But it hasn't been.

I think there should be a very specific answer to this, just like there should be a very specific answer to how many
In response to this whole paragraph to save quoting it all but i agree, its not unfair to ask if she been with "just a few" or "lots, too many to count" or somewhere in between. Equally, the movement thing, as you ask, was it until they got rid of her or does she move on after a bit... is she going anywhere in particular for this matter? She clearly goes place to place so is there a goal or is it just in hopes of finding a new room. I'm sure there is more than a few guys who would take her offer long term, some answer please, show!
then these are the kinds of things that need to get covered--at least broadly.
Yup! I'm not expecting a 3 episode discussion about each guy or whatever, but a 5 minute (or less!) chat to explain it helps us understand her story as much as it helps her express the emotions she has felt.

I had to google this and i laughed when i saw what it meant, it's not even funny but it kind of just is, don't ask lol

Though i liked your examples (its rare i have seen all examples when so many are listed), the RAG (can we shorten Rent A Girl to this... it both seems fitting and is more time conservative!) wasn't needed though... the listed shows was all good with that exception, why ruin a bit of perfection now?

I think it sounds like you generally hold a show to its own standards. Like, Aho-Girl is absurdist, so it's not trying to be realistic. But if it betrayed its established rules and, I dunno, had Akkun stab Yoshino to death, you'd probably call it out.
Yeah pretty much! (And if Akkun stabbed her i would be like "wtf" whilst thinking "don't blame you"... I wonder if he ever hooked up with her... i feel i should pick up its manga just to find this question doesn't get a answer).

With this show, the first episode (or so) established a tone and a level of maturity that it has not delivered on. Whether we mean the gratuitous flashback scene or the lack of sharpness in the Goto-nee-san scene.
Exactly, you get this stuff i see! Though i have shivers remembers that flashback!

Then again, if we apply your assertion elsewhere, your problems with Rent-a-Girlfriend indicate that you really, really liked the show and were disappointed when it didn't rise to its typical heights. Which...yeah, I guess ignore what I just said. This is probably the right thing.
I wanted to say I spoke to soon but then you end it in such a way!!! Damn you... sir.
In RAG's case (this is totally sticking for me)... i like 90% of dumb harems, throw in a college setting only earns bonus points, Bad MC is nothing new though the repetitive gag of his full bin of used tissues and his obsessive overactive imagination of all the girls around him being screwed by Hentai-kun is just nothing short of annoying, top this with a terrible side-plot of annoying grandma's who trigged the anime-planet #killthegrandma trend, a MC who spends his time complaining he wants a girlfriend whilst turning down every girl (just admit you want her) and then ignoring the best two (Ruka and Mami) and then (this list doesn't end... and i am being nice) throw in pointless girl on the final episode... it just is tough to like... and i am someone who will like a series for having a sexy lead, so my standards aren't too high after all (granted i will never give a show higher than average just for beaches, sexy fan service and the likes but my point is there).... i will stop, this isn't the RAG thread... calm down, deep breaths.
Season 2 when?

and were disappointed when it didn't rise to its typical heights
... or just this, in summary. - To be fair to the show (RAG) i wanted to like it, i mean, it has Mami...

I think I said the author has written a check he can't cash, with this series, and I stand by that.
You come up with good metaphors, has anyone ever told you this?

which is basically what Goto says to her when she gives her the "I'm an indifferent third party" treatment.
Until she realises what Sayu has been doing, then she hugs her after thinking "... said a bit to much there" to herself... okay no i am just being stupid here, i think what she said needed to be said... actually i think even Sayu remarked on this, admitting she needed to hear it.

Of course...she probably has Gal Co-Worker's number, too.
How would she get into a lesbian relationship with her if she didn't have, or send her nudes...? Wait, that isn't what's going on... I must be in the wrong thread! Hmm i don't think i got her mixed with Ichika x Rio... no quite sure both couples (to be) tick this box.

To confirm: he describes himself as a "lonely loser"
I think he is being humble... loser doesn't sit into his chair thinking about it, lets be honest, he got the cute OLB dancing to his tune waiting for the chance to make a move whenever she can and he has Gotou (the lady who admits she is a MASSIVE I-cup!!!) now into him... okay he probably didn't know the Gotou thing back then and is too dense to see OLB but his life is far from "loser" level.

A man of culture i see!
because your okay with them x KoiKimo!... not the MST thingy, i don't know what that is... like at all!

Petition granted. The motion has passed. Somebody phone the studio immediately. If we don't at least get a mosaic over his face moving forward, we riot.
Done!!! I knew "EvilSMores" translated to Santa in Chinese.

I keep asking why he doesn't join the writer team, i guess he is too busy on his Desk-Sama script though.

I can understand you missing this, though, as the camera was focused on Sayu's ass in those black panties the entire time.
Hahaha i laughed way too hard at this line!!!

Are they even friends? I don't know. I haven't seen it.
My exact thoughts here!
I've seen more of OLB stalking Yoshida than I have of the two "main characters" getting along or even just being at peace in each other's company.
And this is a rather uniquely weird but very accurate comparison, one i honestly think is true, we see more of her stalking than these two bonding in any way at all... but we are to assume they are best of friends and Sayu trusts Yoshida more than anyone... which i guess yeah he is giving her a roof and food and phones but not really explaining the bond they apparently have.

Which I assume means it's just us watching it. While everyone else fawns over Sayu.
I'm actually baffled how many dropped it so quick, i mean i knew they would with how they spoke on episode one but wow, it's pretty funny they drool over fan service of every show but it got them feeling "icky" because Ryo is older... which is so funny when you look at how childish he gets when Not-Hentai-kun is getting anime-dates and stuff. Point being, its pretty sad how many will toss it aside and likely throw a 1 our of 5 rating at it just because they felt awkward one episode in when literally another episode or so they would of realised its actually pretty solid at story telling and character development.

WATCH KOIKIMO YOU PLEBS.
Though i feel like quoting this just to post it again!

Already better than whatever comes next week.
Creepy faced store clerk < awwww to Rio x Ichika (it could happen!)
[begins work on The Full-to-Bursting Emptiness of His Once-Lonely Apartment, an AU Higehiro stage play]
Your a very talented and busy person!

I wanted to respond to a bunch of posts on this and Koikimo, but I just finished a 12 hour shift following 2 hours sleep. Maybe after tomorrow's 12 hour shift. But probably not.
Yikes. Well, get some rest. We'll still be here.

And we'll do our best to add too much for you to even want to read, in your absence.

hqdefault.jpg

I'm helping. I'm heeeelping.

I'm helping you.

Sealab 2021? The "bizarro" episode?

Anyone?

She clearly goes place to place so is there a goal or is it just in hopes of finding a new room. I'm sure there is more than a few guys who would take her offer long term
Yup. Sayu's trials and tribulations and self-inflicted mistakes--at least insofar as the logistics of them are concerned--should already be made clear enough to us, this far into the show. I don't need to know why she ran away (yet), but I do need to know how much control she had over her time on the road. However bad her sex-for-shelter situation was as a rule, there's a massive chasm between "she got used" and "she assumed they were just using her." Like, imagine if she just bailed on Yoshida after he texted to say he was meeting Goto because she assumed this was the end of the line for her.

Sigh. Not to repeat myself (again), but that they've not had the Sayu/Yoshida relationship (not situation but relationship) as the core that drives the story is such a blunder.

I mean, think about how much more dramatic it is for Goto to ask Yoshida to dinner if he's more emotionally tied to Sayu, because of this, rather than to the idea of Sayu. Where he would have to make a choice between letting Sayu down or losing a chance to be with his crush (to whom he can't reveal he has a high school girl living in his apartment).

I'm...rambling a bit, now. But, yes, we should know more about how to view Sayu.

i think what she said needed to be said... actually i think even Sayu remarked on this, admitting she needed to hear it.
Yeah, being alone with Goto (who is A) a woman and B) treating her dispassionately) presented a situation in which Sayu could lower her guard and be more honest with herself, rather than needing to compartmentalize things for survival.

How would she get into a lesbian relationship with her if she didn't
Exactly.

Also: in poor taste, given her background?

But also: yes.

I think he is being humble... loser doesn't sit into his chair thinking about it, lets be honest
The "loser" part is one of those half-kidding humility things, I think, where he knows he's not actually a loser but probably thinks he's nothing to be proud of. It's self-deprecation to lighten the mood and perhaps relieve any reticence Sayu might feel about opening up to him after the, um, incident they just had.

Sure is lucky that Sayu ran away from home with her sexy black underwear, huh? That seduction scene would have been way different if she was in a mismatched set of beige and cutesy polka dots.

He was definitely lonely, though. Rather than just alone.

he got the cute OLB dancing to his tune
I assume you mean "dancing around" him, rather than "to his tune," since he'd have to be trying to manipulate her to get her to dance to his tune.

I wonder if he ever hooked up with her... i feel i should pick up its manga
The manga's hilarious. It changes its format, towards the end, going from a 4-panel comic to a general manga format. And it probably goes on for too long, as a series, if I'm honest.

Everyone stays true to themselves as characters, though, through the whole thing. So...take that however you like.

I'm actually baffled how many dropped it so quick, i mean i knew they would with how they spoke on episode one
As things stand, Higehiro is CLEARLY the inferior show. But I am not surprised it's getting more attention. It's the exact right kind of appearing to be deep that the internet loves. (Not that it doesn't have its fair share of good things. I don't mean to write it off as lost or anything.)

Though, like you, I'm a little surprised KoiKimo got so much immediate drop off. I don't think Miss Nagatoro saw quite so much audience shedding, and that first episode was waaaaay rougher to justify than a dude having a wholesome crush on a high school girl.

But we could spend hours dissecting the what and why and how of viewer decision-making. Beyond simple matters of taste, I mean.

Stop that.

the listed shows was all good with that exception, why ruin a bit of perfection now?
I don't understand. I mentioned three amazing shows and KoiKimo, which I can't yet call amazing because it hasn't ended yet.

Oh, I get it. You think I should have used only examples of completed series. Okay, fair point.

i like 90% of dumb harems
The problem being it wasn't a harem. As we've discussed. (Argued?)

spends his time complaining he wants a girlfriend whilst turning down every girl (just admit you want her)
But he doesn't want "a girlfriend," after he meets Chizuru. He wants Chizuru.

And you know he can't tell her that because then he'll never be able to see her again. (At least, that's how he sees it.)

then ignoring the best two (Ruka and Mami)
Oh, you know he shouldn't be anywhere near Mami.

And Ruka's amazing...and also suuuuuuuuuuper clingy. Which, considering he doesn't want to date her, is bad.

The manga is markedly better than the anime. It's all the same nonsense--which I love--but the dialogue and thought bubbles are less waffle-y about things. I think they smoothed out some of the edges, in the adaptation, and not to the benefit of the show.

Like, the characters acknowledge when things (or people) are stupid or absurd. Kazuya's a little less whiny and a little more honest with himself when he depression-spirals into pathos and self-loathing. Stuff like that.

Oh, and the Grandma admits she's literally in love with Chizuru. (Not, like, sexually. But near-enough to romantically.) Which is a fun detail.

But, yeah, Ruka is both more obviously annoying (but still...inject it into my veins, ugh, I love her) and more obviously desperate, in the manga, with even Chizuru lamenting that she made Kazuya accept the offer to date Ruka. Even her stupid-ass backstory comes off as less ridiculous.

Season 2 when?
Not until 2022, it looks like.

Sad face.

Maybe after tomorrow's 12 hour
Don't die on us!... and if you do i would love to have your stuff... i mean totally optional, and I'm not planning for it to happen but... just had to get in early.

And we'll do our best to add too much for you to even want to read, in your absence.
haha if there is one thingy we are good at, It's typing lots of stuff, if people wish to read it is another matter of debate though.

Like, imagine if she just bailed on Yoshida after he texted to say he was meeting Goto because she assumed this was the end of the line for her.
This is a good point and actually something i think she might of done before meeting Gotou, she was clearly uneasy every time he was out, regardless if it was with Gotou or OLB, if he was gonna be home late she felt her position was in trouble. Which i mean we are past this (i hope) now she met Gotou and made a friend... probably, in her and similar for OLB but I'm sure she should have it in her head she isn't being forced out now.
Really it should of used the episode with the cringy opening of Mr Thrusty to 1st, not have that opening and 2nd, used the episode to maybe explain some of this, i said before but its not like we need every dirty detail, it could skim through the "long and short" of it with only some details whilst teasing the full story for later, in giving us the basis of the past (even if in a basic form) we could maybe understand it a bit more and thus appreciate the story more.

I mean, think about how much more dramatic it is for Goto to ask Yoshida to dinner if he's more emotionally tied to Sayu, because of this, rather than to the idea of Sayu. Where he would have to make a choice between letting Sayu down or losing a chance to be with his crush (to whom he can't reveal he has a high school girl living in his apartment).
True, i mean i don't care for Sayu being the driving force of everything but it kind of sets it to be that way (not like he can bring someone home with her there), but i do think as you say creating the emotion ties to Sayu whilst fighting the urge for Gotou too could be much more fulfilling in a drama sense.

I'm...rambling a bit, now
I'm sure 85% of the stuff i put fits this criteria on just about every show.

Yeah, being alone with Goto (who is A) a woman and B) treating her dispassionately) presented a situation in which Sayu could lower her guard and be more honest with herself, rather than needing to compartmentalize things for survival.
and C) is pretty hot... just saying.
But this got me wondering, Yoshida obviously is more sympathetic to her which obviously makes sense and obviously is the reason he couldn't fulfil this roll, but something tells me he is likely the only one, like i don't get the impression many the guys before him was sitting down with a hot drink asking if this is really what she wants. Not to say this changes anything but just another angle to consider when we say she needed to hear it from someone who isn't Yoshida, Did she really need to? Okay she did (of course!) but from her eyes did she need to before Gotou, i think after the chat she realised more than ever that was what she needed... which i guess made the ending feel a bit nicer when them applying make-up to one another like teens would, even if it did make her look a bit ridiculous.

Also: in poor taste, given her background?
I have pretty poor taste if you haven't noticed? (except for girls themselves, that is the one thing i get right!).

But also: yes.
but also yes!

I think, where he knows he's not actually a loser but probably thinks he's nothing to be proud of
He can think all he likes, i refuse to accept someone speaking of themselves when they got 2 nice office ladies handing onto to them!

Sure is lucky that Sayu ran away from home with her sexy black underwear, huh?
As comical as this is, its a fair point, if you run from home you probably just grabbing the first things, even if its planned in advance you don't think "gotta pack the sexy black undies, just in case". Though i guess this could be argued she might have purchased them or had them as a gift from one of her friends she stayed with on the way.

Seduction mode: Kiddies underwear... Yotsuba Edition... because the manga really likes making a point of her kiddie underwear for some reason!

I assume you mean "dancing around" him, rather than "to his tune," since he'd have to be trying to manipulate her to get her to dance to his tune.
Same thing... well i mean it's not but still. Weirdly i considered this when writing as i remember having the internal debate of this feeling wrong but... i chose to go with it for some reason, not sure why... maybe she would dance to his tune if he dropped the requests to her.
Dammit it annoys me seeing them ruin her last episode, hope that is swept under the rug and we pretend it didn't happen or something.

Everyone stays true to themselves as characters, though, through the whole thing. So...take that however you like.
If this tells me one thing, it's that our stupid... Aho girl (whatever her name was) is as dumb as ever (as she was pretty stupid) and she really liked banana's! I think i will pick it up in the coming weeks though, i imagine its pretty fun and enjoyable, which is my kind of thing really. I decided already to re-watch its anime as the episodes was only 1/2 length so it's pretty easy to slot in when you got a little bit of time.

As things stand, Higehiro is CLEARLY the inferior show.
Quoted for the whole paragraph to save space, but yeah i get it, KoiKimo is more relaxed comedy whilst this is more serious and well i guess that is true so it would attract some people more but the number who threw their tantrums on KoiKimo so quick still bugs me, I of course would rather no one watch it over 20 people watch it to bitch about them thinking "it's wrong" with its plot but it for me is a shame to know another series gets the back hand treatment just because no one wanted to try it. I mean don't get me wrong, i love the hidden gems like Tsuki ga Kirei but i think many hate the genre setup instead and that in turn results in less, which is funny as whilst age-gap isn't a go-to genre or anything for me, it has produced some fair results, After the Rain, KoiKimo, HigeHiro, Inu x Boku (if you like comedy) ect, funny how i think many loved After the Rain though but KoiKimo, nope?

I suppose i could go on forever here but
But we could spend hours dissecting the what and why and how of viewer decision-making. Beyond simple matters of taste, I mean.
think that says it.

I don't think Miss Nagatoro saw quite so much audience shedding
This show was being super hyped up. Not sure why, Don't get me wrong, its fine as a show but people was pretty hyped for it, not sure if there was a reason like it maybe (in manga) is seriously funny or interesting or whatever, maybe people just enjoy these shows that get the media unhappy, the whole Uzaki controversy caused Uzaki's rating to sky rocket despite the show being received as average by most (though i admit i enjoyed it a fair bit!).

Stop that.
^^

which I can't yet call amazing because it hasn't ended yet.
It's gonna have to be pretty bad in the second half to end with a negative review as thus far, it is amazing.

The problem being it wasn't a harem. As we've discussed. (Argued?)
Well to save the old discussion, it pretended to be which i think we all agreed was part of the issue (if it set out from the start without the "harem setup" and implied path it would of been less disappointing to see the better (hehe) girls side-lined.

And you know he can't tell her that because then he'll never be able to see her again
My point was more he continues to say he wants a Girlfriend, whilst true he wants her, which okay he can't tell her, i can accept that (though i wish he would), but this should warrant him to stop complaining he wants "A" girlfriend, or at least say something like "if she was mine" so its less implied that anyone would do... i mean it wouldn't solve the issue but still, i hope he just asks her out in season 2, i think hearing her say "no" would add something to the show, even if it's "I can't right now because my job", "Right now" is open enough to say "maybe one day" without saying it... i feel like i watched too many harems!

you know he shouldn't be anywhere near Mami.
I only agree to this so much as-in that Mami is too great for him, but sadly if he isn't around her, she gets no screen time, which sucks!!!

which I love
This is fine! No really, i watch and enjoy the dumbest stuff, nothing wrong with that!

Kazuya's a little less whiny and a little more honest with himself when he depression-spirals into pathos and self-loathing
This would of complimented the anime quite well actually.
Depressed characters are tough to make, they either sap the life from the show or spend their time whinging to the point its annoying but sometimes, rare times they can be well expressed/written to the point we get on their level (not depressed but can see their point of view). I'm not asking to be in Kazuya's eye but him coming to terms with his situation and seeing it for what it is might help.

Oh, and the Grandma admits she's literally in love with Chizuru. (Not, like, sexually. But near-enough to romantically.) Which is a fun detail.
This... answers a lot, though its kind of creepy too!
Actually... its even worse if you imagine Kazuya marrying Mizuhara, your having to worry not that she being NTR'd by some other dude who is better than you but by your own Grandma... this could be a creepy/fun setting!!!

Even her stupid-ass backstory comes off as less ridiculous.
I forgot this, yeah that was possibly one of the worst stories they could of delivered us.
Still, does she deliver her great one time moment? (the scene which cannot be named due to the net trying to censor our GIF's!!).

Sad face.
Autumn 2022 and i will watch,maybe... probably, possibly... if there's time.
0cf72014-f9e0-4d35-9784-30be317c9443_text.gif

when we say she needed to hear it from someone who isn't Yoshida, Did she really need to? Okay she did (of course!) but from her eyes did she need to before Gotou
Needed it? Yes, I think so. Secretly wanted it? Or been aware of herself enough to consider it? Probably not.

If we wanted to, we could probably find the exact moment when the combination of Yoshida's kindness and her fear of being tossed to the curb wore out her internal blinders and left her vulnerable to what she knew to be true the whole time. Before recent events, though, I don't think she'd have allowed herself to acknowledge just how bad things were.

but also yes!
lol

i refuse to accept someone speaking of themselves when they got 2 nice office ladies handing onto to them!
Sadly, I think he's supposed to think there's only one.

Seduction mode: Kiddies underwear... Yotsuba Edition...
Nice callback.
#ShutUpItCouldHappen​

Though i guess this could be argued she might have purchased them or had them as a gift from one of her friends she stayed with on the way.
Yes, definitely possible.

But I think we all know this wasn't the case. Which means she was just wearing them on the day she ran. Perhaps by coincidence, or because she's careful about matching, or because she only own black lingere, or because she was wearing them for a purpose on that particular day.

Also, I did check: she's got 'em on in the first episode. You can see just enough of both to make out that they are black.

maybe she would dance to his tune if he dropped the requests to her.
Actually...do you think she'd do that stupid thing we all do where we adjust ourselves in the hopes of seeming like someone our crush might consider liking, were Yoshida to be like, "I like girls who wear leather coats and eat pizza"? Would she suddenly buy a new coat and invite him out to the local Dominoes?

if it set out from the start without the "harem setup"
All the fault of the OP. The show never presents itself as a harem, outside of that.

this should warrant him to stop complaining he wants "A" girlfriend
I think the point of contention is what we think he means by "a girlfriend."

You guys were always of the opinion that he wanted to date and do couples things and make out--which he could absolutely do with Ruka, who was more than happy to oblige.

I was always of the opinion that he wanted a girl he was in love with who loved him back (with whom he would then do couples things and make out). Which was always Chizuru, yes, but--more significantly--was never Ruka. He doesn't even jerk off to Ruka. And he jerks off to everything.

Depressed characters are tough to make, they either sap the life from the show or spend their time whinging
Oh yes. Totally agree. Which is part of why I like the manga better: Kazuya's anger at himself for not being himself or not being better.

I think the commonly seen key to it seems to be how much the character resents the futility he feels, when depressed. If we just see the moping, he's an emotional black hole. But if he gets mad at himself, in a private moment? We connect with his frustration.

...or something.

Still, does she deliver her great one time moment?
Yes. Definitely yes.

It's sexier when it's animated. But yes.
Sentiment I expressed about this scene that is 100% relevant to my previous statements on Higehiro:
how absolutely adorable was she at that love hotel? I mean, come on. I'm always of the mind that it's actually really easy not to give in to sexual urges, but holy crap.

and i will watch,maybe... probably, possibly... if there's time.
I'll reserve our table now. Since I know we'll both be there.

Sadly, I think he's supposed to think there's only one.
Anime MC's have a weird ability to look past the bigger picture and only ever see one, something about numbers above one must scare them or something.

#ShutUpItCouldHappen
I will make it happen, no matter the cost!

or because she was wearing them for a purpose on that particular day.
I like this one the most, it feels more plot based, not that i think there is actually much thought behind this other than black = sexy therefore, black undies. I honestly think we put more thought into the small stuff in shows than their writers/animators do, though i am happy to be proved wrong.

You can see just enough of both to make out that they are black.
I like your dedication!

"I like girls who wear leather coats and eat pizza"? Would she suddenly buy a new coat and invite him out to the local Dominoes?
How did you get my perfect first date plan? I don't recall sharing this highly secret information!
Though yes i sadly imagine that being her all over... actually, i imagine that being Yoshida, he strikes me as a pleaser, though he can feel free to correct me.

All the fault of the OP. The show never presents itself as a harem, outside of that.
Opening's lives matter dammit!

And he jerks off to everything.
When the episode of him jerking to a fish comes, i think we know we met the real Kazuya.

You guys were always of the opinion that he wanted to date and do couples things and make out--which he could absolutely do with Ruka, who was more than happy to oblige.
I was more irked by his constant "i want a gf" which he didn't, he wanted Chizuru, which we covered. His generalisation of the term when he has a girl wanting to be that makes him seem like he is complaining about something he could have if he wished to, okay he wanted Chizuru but my point is, don't complain about what seems to be the thing you have.

It's sexier when it's animated. But yes.
Yeah i did wonder when posting this how they could maintain that enjoyment factor, animated you can slow it down and enjoy, manga... not so easy.

I'll reserve our table now. Since I know we'll both be there.
Reservations not needed, I'm sure there wont be many others lol

"you'll never be anything but a high school girl"
"you won't be a high school girl forever"

"i thought i just wanted to run away from everything, but i really just wanted someone to tell me not to run away"

jesus... are women this confusing in real life? Because I really wouldn't know, being a shut in weeb and all.

And yuzuha is just annoying and pushy.

I'm starting to think this show is really not for me.

are women this confusing in real life? Because I really wouldn't know, being a shut in weeb and all.
Ha! Well, they're at least this confusing when, like Sayu and Goto in this scene, what they say is only half of what they should be saying.
Though, in fairness, the Goto quote is missing the middle section where she explains that Sayu is only able to be a high school girl at the moment. So she's restricted by that label in some ways but also freed from some other things by it at the same time--but she's also going to lose out on the positive freedoms that come from it, soon, and shouldn't take that lightly.

And Sayu's...well, it's not like she's wrong, exactly, about running away (at least in part) in the hopes that someone would pull her back to earth from whatever untethered her from home in the first place.

But, yeah, their conversation needed to be more, um, complete, I think, is how I'd describe it. Speaking in broad platitudes and vague poignancies feels much less finished than it should for such an important scene.

I'm starting to think this show is really not for me.
You're not alone, in that boat.

It's...not doing itself any favors, let's say.

I'm starting to think the writers think we're as stupid as Sayu (apparently) is.

Heads up, @RascaI: maybe quit now.

"IN CASE YOU CAN'T TELL WHAT'S GOING ON, I AM GOING TO SCREAM THE SUBTEXT AT YOU SO THAT IT'S CLEAR."

F*** off, show.

"I'm a rapist--but I always keep my promises!"

F*** off, show.

I can kind of forgive how facile Asami's speech to Sayu was, because she's a teenager. What she said smacks of idealism and naivete, even as it touched on som supportive truths. But I know that's not because she's a teenager--as in, I know it's because the writer thinks this is the right thing for the story to tell us.

Which is awful.

Unsurprising, considering the rest of the series, thus far, but still awful.

Anyway...

We got our creepy guy, our attempted rape, and our Yoshida (inexplicable?) rescue scene. Hooray for us for being smart.
No, really, why did Yoshida rush home? Did he rush home? Was he supposed to come home, at that time, but heard the ruckus inside?

I'm so annoyed by that whole...thing. Given the ending, I'd've much rather that he just be a bit of an ***hole who needed a slightly stronger hint than "no" to back off than an out-and-out rapist. Which they almost did! At first I just thought that he was extremely casual about the whole thing, like he was just not going to see what the big deal was and not understand how screwed up Sayu is. He'd be like "what's the big deal?" all genial like, and then Sayu'd freak out. Or, I dunno, then Sayu'd do something where she could learn something about herself without having one of her guardian angels swoop in to tell her what the moral of the story is. And then it'd be way less uncomfortable for Creepy Guy to be STILL AROUND SAYU ALL THE TIME at work.

Just...ugh. Too big for its britches, this show. I tell ya.

I kinda like Asami. Or, rather, I like how pure of heart she is. Though I guess her attachment to Sayu has more to do with looking for connection rather than some kind of shared misery. Which means she, like Sayu and Yoshida (...and Goto?), is dealing with loneliness.

Still--neither Goto nor Office Lady B were in this episode. So it was objectively the worst episode ever.

Hmm

Alot of things feel forced here. Sayu is retarded falling for an obvious trap. "can I ask the owner 1st?" Why bother telling Yoshida when you're gonna send an ambiguous text like that with no clear signs that it's something Yoshida should worry about? In actuality, She SHOULD have been raped that day as much as I'd hate to see it happen. Yoshida is often late, she gave him no reason to rush home......So yeah they would have to explain why he was there but they didn't bother. Though everyone watching probably called his timely rescue, I was more so hoping Asumi came, it would make more sense as she had reason to worry and potentially could have seen them walking home together with Sayu's anxious expression. I'd have no reason to question that outcome.....

What also seems forced is that old boy was actually gonna rape her, didn't he kick her out because the risk from the law was too great to have her around? but now forced rape is a good idea? We talked about self control and lack there of, I'm guessing this guy is the extreme on the lack there of spectrum.

Rest of the episode was ight but it felt so damn cheap. Early in the episode we had the setup where Sayu didn't want to say anything about her past to Asumi, and late in the episode she gives the details...That level of progression start to finish shouldn't take place in one episode unless the series was episodic in nature. It just make the overall level of story telling feel.....................amateurish..........

Okay so I just finished the episode. And depending on how long I write this post it might be 5 to 8 mins later. Anyway, I apologise for the previous outburst. Idk I just felt something too strong to contain so it kinda just slipped out in the heat of the moment. I am sorry. But truth be told for the first half of the episode that was exactly how I felt. As if my heart was repeatedly freezing into ice and the melting away layer by layer, over and over. I honestly don't even know what this emotion is called. Anyway, here's a detail of my thoughts throughout the episode.
Okay so the first 5 secs made me stop the video, muffle my shout with my pillow, then come here to vent out my feelings. I guess that's enought of an explanation. We did discuss this last week how the new guy might be someone with whom Sayu had spend some time, paying with her own self and all. But I soo wasn't ready for it. The moment that screen flashed I almost dropped my phone. So yeah that's how the episode started. Then we had Ayumi chan being THE BIG SIS our Sayu soooo soo needed. She was really cool throughout the episode. Then the part where that guy does whatever it is that they do, blackmail Sayu into taking him to where she's staying then attempting harrassing her sexually. I'm glad Yoshida showed up when he did cuz if he hadn't I defo would have had to drop this anime. Then we had Yoshida being this dad figure and Sayu crying and all (stuff that not many here like about this show. I don't care really.... Like at least below a threshhold philosophical shit is fine by me. But I agree it gets annoyingly repetative at its core after the first few times) well then stuff happened, random guy made up and apologised to Sayu. Thanks to Yoshida staying over at work, Sayu and Ayumi got a girls night out. And the it was Ayumi's turn to pamper and talk about philosophical stuff with Sayu. The end. Then we again had a moment of Yoshida and Sayu being cuddly. And finally, something that piques my interest, a shot from Sayu's past with a boy in baseball uniform. So I guess we are now moving on to the part where we actually get to know more about Sayu's past. Excited! Not particularly disappointed with the anime so far either. Ahh also, that part when Ayumi was talking about how humans are small compared to the stars but we still have a past and a future. That part was very relatable due to personal circumstances rn but yeah, it kinda made sense what she said.

Right okay so I just felt like I needed to add this here so I'm just dropping this on you, I hone no one takes this too seriously. This is just what I feel and a matter of personal choices and opinions.

Okay so I totally understand why many don't want to continue with this anime. And I do agree with them to most of their points too. But to be very honest, I don't think the authors or the producers would have overlooked any of the aforementioned points. (Again just a personal opinion). When they decided to take up such a topic to make it into a story and then an animated series, I think they knew already that this would happen at some stage and that at that point they would begin losing their viewers. They probably saw it coming. Cuz honestly, they are the pros in their fields. I personally font consider myself worthy of doubting their talents and thoughts at least. That being said, what I see is the producers trying to do stuff to prevent that as much as possible. It's obvious with the topic at hand that it can't be completely prevented. But I felt that they did try and have been trying to prevent that. At times maybe trying a bit too hard but it isn't something I feel like complaining about. My opinion, not just with regards to this anime but all that I have watched, am watching or will watch, is that it is the end product of the thoughts of many people regarding a topic being put into words and drawings. And I respect that. I'm not saying that I will never drop any anime or hate any story in my life. I obviously don't like some stories too, but for me personally this story hasn't yet crossed that thresh hold. Also no matter what would have happened, I kinda promised myself I wouldn't draw a line through this anime at least till they completely vioce out their opinion, which in my pov is what they will do when revealing Sayu's past.

I know if i say that most of ur complains don't make sense to me y'all will be very mad. But seriously, if u wanted a different kind of story or maybe something different with the anime, then maybe this wasn't for you. Cuz the moment you complain about how they should have done this, they should have avoided that etc. U are just asking the team of people involved with the story to change their views or ideas. Which I'm kind of against doing. But as I said. Even I won't like some anime or some stories, but that won't mean that those stories were bad. It would mean that it just wasn't for me. We were not compatable.

I'll say this for one last time now, I don't mean to point this towards the ones who have dropped the anime. I mean this to reach those who haven't to actually think about how you personally feel about the story and the anime. Don't just read someone's comment and jump to conclusions. Of cousre most of the well known members and other high dignitaries of this community are veterans but they voice their views. Your view can be different. Nothing wrong with that.

Lol I guess I went a bit over board with that. And just for the record, it's been 14 mins since I started typing out this post.

So i haven't watch this weeks episode yet, will later tonight but can someone just tell me was i right or was i right? (And if i was wrong, i wont believe you until i see it myself), was our creeper rape(y) guy a creep from her past and more over, did he try to force himself on her? c'mon 100 points to me, i can sense victory... i normally don't want spoilers (hence not reading the spoilers above) but i can lose all will to watch the episode and prep by having several alcoholic drinks at my side to see me through if its even close to what i am expecting...

(I will read over everyone's posts later when i can enjoy the content after understanding it... as said I don't want the whole episode spoiling but i just know its gonna be bad based on last weeks ending...)

So i haven't watch this weeks episode yet, will later tonight but can someone just tell me was i right or was i right?
You we right. Everyone was right. It's 97% everything you and I and everyone thought it was going to be.

No spoilers on the other 3%. Or on the stuff from the episode that isn't that stuff. Assuming there is any. Which I won't say. 'Cus no spoilers.

But...go watch KoiKimo first. Or second, if you want a reward. (It's great, this week. You're gonna love it.)

Back