The Way of the Househusband

okay okay, i don't mind the animation that much, it's better than I expected. Though maybe that's because i haven't read the manga to know how much they ruined the anime :frustrat:

But still, j.c staff... what are you doing with your life animating wixxos and doing this monstrosity to the way of the household husband?

Last edited:
I found this to be pretty underwhelming. The voice actors are all gamely hamming it up, but the lacking visuals and animation leave it feeling flat. There are a few good jokes and gags peppered in the episode, but overall I am glad it was only five episodes. 6 out of 10

Watched the first episode and all i can say is that the visuals left me in a constant state of awkward laughter. i checked out the first few chapters of the manga and tbh, the anime leaves a nice audio to listen to when reading the source material
luckily, it's just 5 episodes, so not too much time will be wasted if you decide to finish it and won't end up liking it

Seems like people were right to think this was garbage before it aired. What a massive disappointment. This has so much potential because the source material I've heard is stellar. But what they gave us doesn't even qualify as animation.

It's genuinely horrible. And I feel mean because a friend of mine seems to have enjoyed it, but I don't see why we should pay for such lazy, hacky work, and not even question whether it needed to be done this way. I understand limited animation - I've even enjoyed the odd motion comic! - but the aesthetics are bad in the first place, with generic, muddy colours and under-detailed backgrounds. They wave the camera around all the time to try and hide the fact that nothing's moving - and aside from filters and a couple of patterns, there's only one frame in the full-length opening! The sound effects are obnoxious and drown out the acting, which is fun but honestly, better-suited to the live action adaptation - there's no face movements to go with it, so it needed more variation than the growling which worked so well in the flesh. Also, Netflix missed an entire line of translation because they fucked up the timing translating something onscreen, which is unforgivably shit for something they're pushing this hard.

I'm biased against premise of stay home husband. Still, after watching bit of the first episode it has funny moments.
Singing happy birthday in the most creepy voice ever. :frustrat:
The animation is 0/10. It's just manga on screen there is almost no animation.

I haven't watched this yet (though I'm planning to)... but I will say this is actually a case where you can't blame the studio/director, as the director mentioned that this was a 'producer request' and 'that at times she thought it would have been easier to have it be animated in a regular way'.

I'll see how I feel about it when I get the time later.

I love the manga, but this is such an insult to it. I haven't seen animation this half assed since Berserk. That I can recall. Great Pretender has such great animation and this comes out. Just because it's episodic slapstick comedy it doesn't have to be taken seriously, I guess.

Gotta love people complaining about how much something sucks before it’s even released.
4dc.jpg

The problem with making it basically just "motion comic" is that it just becomes "manga, but bad".
Manga is a separate art form from anime, and it has an entirely different approach to how to make something feel vibrant and moving.
When what you're basically doing is just awkwardly animating manga panels, all you do is toss that careful craft out of the window while adding nothing new.
This series in particular has been finely crafted as both homage and satire of yakuza pop culture, and it's very deliberate in how it frames things. Since even the manga's primary inspirations are in large part movies, the anime should've had an easy time with it.
gokushofudou-the-way-of-the-house-husband-tv.jpg

The problem with making it basically just "motion comic" is that it just becomes "manga, but bad".
Manga is a separate art form from anime, and it has an entirely different approach to how to make something feel vibrant and moving.
When what you're basically doing is just awkwardly animating manga panels, all you do is toss that careful craft out of the window while adding nothing new.
This series in particular has been finely crafted as both homage and satire of yakuza pop culture, and it's very deliberate in how it frames things. Since even the manga's primary inspirations are in large part movies, the anime should've had an easy time with it.
gokushofudou-the-way-of-the-house-husband-tv.jpg
Really well explained. I couldn't finish episode 1 even and I think unknowingly this is the reason that I couldn't continue as well. It just lacks that feel of Yakuza culture in media.

I enjoyed this more than I expected, for a bunch of shorts being carried mostly by the voice acting. It's disappointing we're not gonna be getting anything more than a slideshow but it didn't bother me much after the first episode or so. The fact it respects our time and doesn't last more than 80 mins total helps a lot as well, if it lasted for a full season I'd probably have a different tone towards it.

Kenjirou really killed it with his performance, and I almost had a heart attack when I heard Houchou Outsuka doing the yakuza boss in the last episode. I'm disappointed we can't see more of them, but I guess we get what we get for now

Episode 1:

Nobody stone me or anything, but I didn't actually think this was super terrible. The writing's good, the voice acting's great, the laughs are still coming in anyway. I do feel let down that this isn't an actual anime, but that's less betrayal and more me liking something they gave free samples of at the grocery and then finding out later they all sold out. There's a huge "what could have been" energy about this, but I'm with @Zed on this one.

I binged the show yesterday- it's easy to watch, at least comedy wise. I like the jokes, and some of them actually made me laugh. I could get used to the animation, but it really seems lazy and after seeing the manga, is definitely a downgrade. I think if you're thinking of watching this, go for it, but check out the manga as well, since it's just a better execution of the contact between househusband and yakuza that the writer was going for.

Finished it a while ago. It's pretty nice and funny to watch, had low expectations but it turned out good. Nice to watch if you're bored and have not read the manga. This is one of those anime where the manga is better

Back