Your Anime Taste through the Years

When I started watching anime, a lot of years ago, I hated Shoujo, I watched (quite) every genre except Shoujo: Giant Robots, Sci-Fi, Fighting groups, Sport anime, Fantasy, Meisaku... everything except shoujos.

Now, many maaany years after - ironically - I'm totally into Shoujo: the series that I love and that touch me the most are all Shoujo anime (such as Fruits Basket, one of my current favourites).

When I started watching anime, a lot of years ago, I hated Shoujo, I watched (quite) every genre except Shoujo: Giant Robots, Sci-Fi, Fighting groups, Sport anime, Fantasy, Meisaku... everything except shoujos.

Now, many maaany years after - ironically - I'm totally into Shoujo: the series that I love and that touch me the most are all Shoujo anime (such as Fruits Basket, one of my current favourites).
You have Sora as your avatar, therefore I instantly like you

. I don't think I embraced slice of life shows back then much either because I wasn't that patient, but now I've fully embraced the comfy and fucking love that shit.

Excuse me while I listen to the Yuru Camp opening again, and again and again:

When you're an even more stressed out and cynical adult with so many responsibilities piled on, the idea of slow paced comfy shows is even more appealing.
Get on my level. Listen to the entire soundtrack over and over.

But yeah, my tastes have increasingly been geared towards comfort shows over time, especially ones that can feel relatable in some way.
I'm as much of a shounentard as ever, but in fairness this is likely because the genre itself has changed as I've aged as well, and most mainstream shounen now tries to appeal to an older audience than it used to for the last couple decades, so that helps. It's also a genre that has shown a lot of evolution in general, which one often doesn't realize until you look back a bunch of years.

I don't watch nearly as much anime as I used to, though. Instead I read tons of manga. And then I'll be like "yay, this manga I like got an anime" and then I don't even try to watch it, regardless of quality.

My taste went from horror/thriller to anything is fine to lgbtq+ themes to anything's fine as long as it isn't ecchi/romance to hardcore yaoi in less than 2 years.

in my beginnings with anime, i started with one of the most reviewed genre, shonen. I loved it, and i still do. But now i can watch almost any anime genre unlike before where i loved only shonens. But i'm really picky, so it's difficult too find an anime that i love 100%. The genres that i don't like are sports, magical girls and dramatic slice of life, it just isn't my type and i get bored of it easily.

here's what my top 10 list probably would have been in 2016 after I started watching anime if I had one:

1. One Piece
  2. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
  3. My Hero Academia
  4. Steins;Gate
  5. Gurren Lagann
  6. Soul Eater
  7. The Seven Deadly Sins
  8. One Punch Man
  9. Code Geass
  10. Sword Art Online

This was my top 10 list in early 2018

RUjjcWw.png

This is my current top 10 list which will carry into 2021

NPM0W6J.png

Basically what changed was how much anime I've seen and how that affected me was I used to enjoy mainstream shounen and over these last 5 years of anime watching I have realized that it's all the same and dont much care for it anymore. I'm sure my taste will change a lot more in the next bunch of years but I'm technically still a pretty young anime fan.

I guess what it was is I got caught up in the hype of those shounen anime at the start, and as time went on I started valuing more anime that meant something specifically to me instead of ones that had mass appeal. But the one consistant thing is i'll always love One Piece no matter what since it was the anime that got me into the medium. It only wasn't on my list in 2018 because i found out the manga was better and the anime's pacing was terrible, but I've since gotten over that XD

i pratically have the same top 10 list but i remove Gurren Lagann, vinland saga, space dandy and great pretender cuse i've never watched them

As far as anime goes, I started out with all of the mainstream shonen stuff and my interest in them hasn't faded. I'd honestly say my interest for them has deepened over the years even after accepting the common flaws that come with the genre/demographic.

But I'm happy to say my overall tastes have become pretty widespread; I'll watch just about anything if it's vouched for and is getting good buzz around it. An anime's premise/genre is secondary to me because as long as it's well-executed and not boring, it'll get a pass from me. I would not have envisioned being engrossed in shows about stuff like dramatic rakugo players or pretty boys skateboarding when I first started out.

One concrete piece evidence showing me I changed was from how I could not connect with Evangelion when I first started watching anime, then over a decade later I rewatched it on Netflix and I absolutely loved it. I pay a lot more attention to how a show is constructed and directed, so I think for Evangelion I had a deeper appreciation than before because I could pick up on a lot more than what was just going on in the text.

6-10: (Kiddie Anime: Pokemon, Digimon, Monster Ranchers, Totoro)

13-15: FMA, Death Note, Higurashi, Grave of the Fireflies, every sad 90s/2000s-ish 'ravens flying against subdued palette in OP' type show

I actually kind of started out by getting into psychological / horror ish anime just because it was so different from the kind of topics covered in animation previously and I'd always loved animation. It was refreshing to see dark topics handled so openly. Even something like FMA, at the time I watched it at 13, proved to be surprisingly dark to my tastes with the whole Nina storyline. I definitely remember converting hardsubbed Monster episodes to to watch on my Ipod classic during break at school. That's how I originally watched quite a bit of early anime... converted to Ipod and at school during class.

Sometime in highschool I got into sports anime as well, after. Also, BL and GL followed later too. I like sci-fi more than I did before too... and horror less lol. When I was a kid horror anime was edgy and new, but a lot of it isn't well written.

Honestly, in a lot of ways my biases and genre preferences are still the same, but I've expanded a lot. I've been really trying to get into genres I haven't got into as much lately, like magical girl series and mecha. Think I love pure drama more than I did as a kid.

Never been huge on romance and SoL, but don't hate them either. So that hasn't changed.

Mine was Detective Conan in primary school , when I first started watching anime. I think I sort of enjoyed watching Shounen back then, like Shaman King and Bleach, but these were times when my exposure to anime was very limited. I remember watching a lot from the romance genre in highschool. Not sure if I enjoyed them all though.

I think I generally enjoy watching shows with a solid plot and no fan service. Also iyashikei with no moe.

I love that anime! And I’m currently obsessed with the ending song of the second season Have you listened to it ? Do you like it ?

I gargled too many shitty romance and harem anime and mechas back in the day, that after awhile you become all too aware of the re-used cliches. I've become more aware of wish fulfilment. Used to think Code Geass was a masterpiece. I don't think I embraced slice of life shows back then much either because I wasn't that patient, but now I've fully embraced the comfy and fucking love that shit.

Excuse me while I listen to the Yuru Camp opening again, and again and again:

When you're an even more stressed out and cynical adult with so many responsibilities piled on, the idea of slow paced comfy shows is even more appealing.

As a kid I used to love supernatural kind of anime
I started watching anime seriously again at the start of the pandemic and most of the anime I love now are romance anime :3

2-3 years old: Pokemon and Digimon.
5-7: The above, along with Spirited Away, and Kiki's Delivery Service.
7-11: Various shows that aired on Toonami in the USA, such as One Piece, Prince of Tennis, the original Yugioh, (as well as Yugioh GX) Naruto, Rave Master, and Mar, for some examples.
13-16: Vampire Knight, and Howl's Moving Castle. I think there's more, but I don't remember what else I watched at that age, other than the all the previous stuff I mentioned.
17-18: Hellsing, and possibly Bleach. (I can't remember if I originally watched Bleach in my late teens, or early 20's, tbh. :sweat:)

Pokemon was my very first anime, but obviously back then I wasn't aware of what anime was. (Spirited Away, and Kiki, were my gateways into Studio Ghibli, but again, I wasn't aware of what anime actually was.) It wasn't until Naruto first premiered in the USA back when it was still on Cartoon Network/Toonami in the afternoon or early evening.

Vampire Knight is what got me into wanting to learn more Japanese, and wanting to learn more about anime and manga. :) (It also was my gateway into manga, but since this is an anime thread, that's a story for another day.)

Ever since joining A-P, my taste has expanded, although I'm still extremely picky with certain genre's/themes, due to anxiety and personal reasons...

When i was a young lad here in the usa we didnt have anime, we had shitty cartoons that didnt cacs like goku, trhen once i got into college (finnaly) this dragnbopmnall manga came out, and one of the guys in my speical dorm, he was fdeom japan, hjad the og japanaese comic (manga), i would talk to him, but he succumbed to diabetes a few years back :(( Anuywasy, ddragonball Z was my favorite show at my 2nd job, I would try to tlak about it with every customer, and when I came from work with my mom, she evenmt tried and still does to this dfay, to get me giftrsa related to goku,

When i was a young lad here in the usa we didnt have anime, we had shitty cartoons that didnt cacs like goku, trhen once i got into college (finnaly) this dragnbopmnall manga came out, and one of the guys in my speical dorm, he was fdeom japan, hjad the og japanaese comic (manga), i would talk to him, but he succumbed to diabetes a few years back :(( Anuywasy, ddragonball Z was my favorite show at my 2nd job, I would try to tlak about it with every customer, and when I came from work with my mom, she evenmt tried and still does to this dfay, to get me giftrsa related to goku,
sorry to here about. your freind from colleg who died from daibstes. i promsie ryuk didn not kill him wiht his death note

Back