have you ever watched/are you into old movies?

You lousy kids and your fancy colors and your Speed Racer.

giphy.gif

Don't worry about it, friend, I was only kidding about hating black and white movies. But I'm basic and mainstream, so I always enjoy me some Humphrey Bogart. If you ever wanted to start your journey into black and whites, then you can't go wrong with any of the titles you mentioned. Those are all great places to start and if you're looking for more, you might also want to check out On the Waterfront. That's one of the movies on my recent favorites list. You get the perk of watching Marlon Brando pre-Godfather, but it's also almost like Rebel Without A Cause, only a little older and less coming-of-age than it.

i am glad you don't hate them, my friend <3 can you believe i haven't seen a single humphrey movie and i saw 30 old movies LOL? i didn't like him anyways tbh he was an ass, so you saw all the ones i mentioned? idk if i will honestly but i watched half of a streetcar named desire lol, haven't seen the godfather either idk i feel like i am a bit too young for it i guess LOL

i am glad you don't hate them, my friend <3 can you believe i haven't seen a single humphrey movie and i saw 30 old movies LOL? i didn't like him anyways tbh he was an ass, so you saw all the ones i mentioned? idk if i will honestly but i watched half of a streetcar named desire lol, haven't seen the godfather either idk i feel like i am a bit too young for it i guess LOL

You can't deny that he has some mad acting chops. And him alongside Lauren Bacall were pitch perfect for some top-notch noir.

its about WW2, the attack on Pearl Harbor i think. so not quite wizards and sorcery :)

That movie has one of my favorite final lines in cinema. "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant, and fill him with a terrible resolve."

You can't deny that he has some mad acting chops. And him alongside Lauren Bacall were pitch perfect for some top-notch noir.

That movie has one of my favorite final lines in cinema. "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant, and fill him with a terrible resolve."

idk i cant judge LOL, i love lauren as a person but i think robert taylor, my fav claude rains (rlly good in notorious and mr skeffinton) and charles boyer (rlly good in gaslight tee hee) are the best OH actors!!

I got 1392 movies from 1888 to 1968 marked. The exact amount escapes me obviously. It's not as easy as with anime, for watched that long before any bases came into existence. The number shouldn't be too far off though. I'm certain, that it's less than 1500 overall. A little over 410 of those are from the silent era. Think, I stopped caring about the year of production 15-16years ago. Amazing, that it's 7times less than all of my marks overall. Wouldn't know if it wasn't for this thread. The reason must be ppl tend to recommend new stuff and critics lists don't last long too.
I overviewed the horror genre here not long ago. Reminiscing can turn out quite fun after all. But this is pretty crazy, too large of a time period after all. Could try, if someone is interested for whatever reason tho. Interesting that 3 out of my top5 movies were screened before 1968. Would call it more of a coincidence.

Last edited:
I not only enjoy but I also own! I enjoy more than just animation after all, sometimes watching movies (live action) is fun, different and watching from another era is even more interesting. I tend to watch from all sorts of era, even a few silent vampire flicks from the 20s, earlier. but I like Bed knobs and broomsticks, meet me in st Louis, Wizard of Oz, Casablanca... nothing wrong with giving another time a go, just have to remember it is from a different era, implying you might come across something unsettling, but things were different then.

I love classic films. I love comedies starring the Marx brothers, Laurel and Hardy, Buster Keaton, etc. . . I love the art of filmaking pre-1950. They really had to get creative, and the effects are often more haunting and deep-reaching than modern films.
My favourite films, however, are the Universal horror classics. Their direction, cinematography, ensembles, and Jack Pierce's makeup were THE recipe for movie magic. :love:
Sadly, I don't have much time for film watching anymore.:crying:

The best pre1969 movies I can think of: Bronenosets Potemkin, 12 angry men, Le notti di Cabiria, Ladri di biciclette, Roman Holiday, Prazdnik svyatogo Yorgena, Zhizn za zhizn, Na voyne kak na voyne, City Lights, Le Monde sans soleil, Jariskatsis mama, Sunset Blvd., Tridtsat tri, The Circus. 2001: A Space Odyssey too, probably, but not sure. Very close anyway. And, no, I don't deem Citizen Kane amazing enough to mingle among such monsters. Sry. It's really good too tho.

Last edited:
Back