Death Note

Ep. 9-12:
I'm definitely not bored or anything, because the story and characters and everything is still great, but it's not as rewarding as watching it for the first time, when you know all the plot twists and plans and big reveals (and I still pretty much remember everything, even after all these years, which only shows how much on an inpact this anime had on me). You know, like there's no ... "added value", if I can call it that. Like in terms of dropping hints and foreshadowing, new things to notice while rewatching it - there isn't really anything. All you notice are the flaws you didn't see the first time around, because you were busy having your mind blown.
I keep trying to find mistakes in L's logic, but there aren't any. The way he deduces stuff simply is logical. It does make sense, and it's great. On the other hand, Light is struggling so much. And that's also great. L is playing him so hard it's really entertaining to watch.
Oh, right, I was supposed to talk about the stuff I don't like.
Ok, so, here we go - enter Misa. I remember I actually used to like her in the first few episodes she was in, until she became Light's pet. Watching it now, I don't like or hate her, but I think she's an interesting character. She makes mistakes, but she's not utterly dumb (like she will be starting from the next episode, when her only defing character trait will become her obsession with Light). She's fascinated with Kira from the very beginning, but it's very mild (compared to what's coming), and, honestly, who wouldn't be in her situation? It's a shame it didn't last.

This is gonna be a spoiler for the very end of the series.

It might've made it shit but it would've been cool if at the end
it turned out that near was L all along and he just explains how he faked his death

It's been I-don't-know-how-many years since I've last watched this. Time for a rewatch.
I left this with 4.5/5... I have my doubts it will retain that score, but we will see.

Light is so arrogant he declares himself a "god" despite him just randomly getting the Death Note.
Love how this instantly twists. L is already onto him and it's only the 2nd episode. It would have been boring otherwise.
Starting to kill like clockwork. What fun we're having!

Last edited:
I pretty much forgot all about this episode... but this one is REALLY GOOD.
and shows how the Death Note will be used later in the series, it happens a LOT
Clever making him write the agent's names on the death note.

It's hard to catch, but when he wrote his supervisor's name, the scenario for him was to send the list of agents which were then written in.

I had to rethink this one to understand what happened there. It does make sense. Zero plot holes.
As smart as she is... she doesn't seem to suspect him at all and goes blabbing all she knows.
I know how it ends, but I don't remember all the details.
Like this one. Intense... even though it was just stalking/talking.
The iconic take a potato chip and eat it episode. If there is one thing people remember from Death Note, it's that.
Let the fun begin.
What, you thought it was already twisted? Ha ha ha ha ha!
If there is one more iconic scene from this anime, it's this tennis match. It's so overdramatic.
Part way though I remember this was Misa's doing.
How romantic.
Misa makes things more fun.
Oh what a twisted web we weave.
Busted.
15 days later...
50 days later...
Blanks will KILL at that range...
And another 2 months...
And I'm not counting anymore.
Matsuda is an idiot.
OP2 just isn't as good.

Trappity trap traps and trickery.
Misa certainly likes getting herself into trouble.

ED2 isn't as good either.
Show's finally picking up again.
Exciting.
Nice car.
How long has it been?... I wouldn't remember either. Heck, I forgot his other alias by now.
No spoiler: L dies.
Recap.
Mello and Near.
Quite the impressive setup, Mello.
RIP dad.
Just had to call and taunt...
It's raining money!

Return of the dramatic writing of names.

Last edited:
I finally got around to watching this (I had reasons why I didn't watch it or read it when it first came out), and I now understand the hype.
It's like Criminal Minds on steroids...and with Shinigami thrown in the mix.

There are a few things I don't quite understand, however (most relating to post episode 25).

First is more of something which just ran through my mind multiple times during a bunch of the episodes (especially concerning the former FBI agent) which was:
Why the flipping heck did none of these people WRITE ANYTHING DOWN!?
That way, if they died while investigating, their findings/theories could be discovered and looked into.

I also sometimes wonder what would have happened if Light didn't go after the the FBI agents. They had him down as "not suspicious", but due to his actions, he once again wound up back on the hot seat because L identified the timing.

My confusion comes from the second half, which felt rushed af.

The biggest issue (and maybe I just missed something) is:
How was Light able to keep his memories when someone else had the Notebook?

Early on, he had given one copy to Misa and kept the other in contact with his body so that he wouldn't forget about it. Then, a bunch of switcheroos happened and suddenly Mikami has the Notebook while the second book is taken away by that other Shinigami.
So then...how is Light able to remember everything? Was Mikami able to use the Notebook to kill without Light truly relinquishing ownership of it? Plus, Mikami still had his memories (same with that reporter lady) during more of the Notebook hot-potato.
How did none of them lose their memories when the Notebook exchanged hands?

Was loaning the Notebook ever explained properly? I looked up the rules to see how many questions of mine it would answer, and there is a rule about loaning it, but then why did Light have to keep that copy (was it Misa's? All the swapping was dang confusing) up against him so as not to forget?
Also, since Near took the actual Notebook, how did that work in terms of the loaning rules?

I felt like the anime itself could have done with a lot more explanations. I know there were rules written during the eyecatch in the midway point, but the quality I watched it at made it near impossible to read it (that, and most of them just repeated the same rules, so I eventually stopped trying to read them figuring that it was just repeating the first three rules over and over again).

Loved the tension in the final two episodes, but the buildup to it and everything in between felt like it was both rushed and stalling at the same time.
There were also some contradictions on how Light acted. In the first half, he was very careful about his timing/coincidences and tried to make things seem like he couldn't be pinned for it (though L saw right through it). In the second half, he got sloppy (going as far as to let Misa continue using the Notebook right after she was released from observation, which put her right on the suspect list again).
Is that just in the anime, or is it better explained in the manga?

Loved the tension in the final two episodes, but the buildup to it and everything in between felt like it was both rushed and stalling at the same time.
There were also some contradictions on how Light acted. In the first half, he was very careful about his timing/coincidences and tried to make things seem like he couldn't be pinned for it (though L saw right through it). In the second half, he got sloppy (going as far as to let Misa continue using the Notebook right after she was released from observation, which put her right on the suspect list again).
Is that just in the anime, or is it better explained in the manga?

Once Light defeated L he became even more arrogant and got sloppy. He'd already defeated his greatest rival and saw no need to be as careful as he'd been in the past. Throughout the series his god complex increases. It's this hubris that gets him killed in the end.

Light, seducing an old girlfriend.
Misa is smarter than she acts.
Near is taking Kira's pieces out of the game.
Because she had a way to write things and start a fire...
10/10 suspense!
Does knowing how it ends effect enjoyment of the episode? Let's find out!

Never gets old... watching Light whine like a baby. He screwed up. He should have written all the names he knew. Capture Near, then have Misa use her eyes. But no, we can't use Misa for insurance now can we.

It had to end this way. Light had to lose.
Forgot they never actually show Misa jumping.

4.0/5 (very good)

Last edited:
Everything from the first episode until the 26th episode was great. However, right before the end of episode 26 you will see the word "Transmission" appear. My personal advice would be to quit watching it there and end the series on a positive note. (Sorry, I had to. lol.) Otherwise, if you're anything like me, you'll have to suffer through 11 more episodes that you'll absolutely hate because I hate to quit watching a series before the end. However, I will warn you that Game of Thrones had a better ending than what you'll see here. I hope this helps you make an informed decision without spoiling anything.
Regards,
Midnight

Everything from the first episode until the 26th episode was great. However, right before the end of episode 26 you will see the word "Transmission" appear. My personal advice would be to quit watching it there and end the series on a positive note. (Sorry, I had to. lol.) Otherwise, if you're anything like me, you'll have to suffer through 11 more episodes that you'll absolutely hate because I hate to quit watching a series before the end. However, I will warn you that Game of Thrones had a better ending than what you'll see here. I hope this helps you make an informed decision without spoiling anything.
Regards,
Midnight
Bro, everyone knows how Death Note ends.

Regards,
Midnight
Here's my informed opinion for the unintiated folk who don't exist or just would never read this. Don't listen to this guy.

Honestly it would have been better if it ended after Episode 26 or whatever. After that death it just seemed all nice and wrapped up, antihero victory, whatever.
I heard that it's possible the writer was forced to write more but I don't know... Still.
I definitely enjoyed it though. Even if I wish it was slightly shorter.

um hi this is kind of random but i just joined the site and i have no idea how to be able to watch the episodes :,) can you help me?
Hi hi, Welcome to a-p! This site is more to keep track of your anime more than it is to watch. There is some anime on the site that you can check out here. If you have any other questions you can ask them here.
Hope it helps!:balloon:

Back