Introducing: dark mode

Today, we've launched your #1 requested feature on Anime-Planet: native dark mode.

yRXb97K.png

Dark mode is a feature available to all registered users - registration is free and easy, and enables you to track anime you've watched and manga, webtoons, OELs, and more that you've read; get personalized recommendations; create top lists of your favorites; and much more.

To toggle dark mode, log in, then choose the option in your profile navigation:

FK5Kh2g.png

Dark mode has been carefully constructed to have visual parity with light mode. Moving forward, we'll continue to support both themes.

vN8mTfG.png

kHn9pq7.png

OlzWUua.png

Known issues

Launching dark mode was a major undertaking that involved updating all aspects of the site, including the existing light mode theme, and underwent several weeks of testing by moderators. If you find something that you think needs to be changed for dark or light mode, please file a bug in the bug forum (not in this thread). There's a few known issues, such as the "preview" panel when posting a new comment or your bio, and the hover state when adding something to a new custom list. We're working on these post-launch.

The forum has also undergone a major change. The old skin was set up in a way that wouldn't allow for multiple themes, so we had to cobble together a new light mode theme, at the same time as dark mode. We have a few outstanding items to still fix, such as too-dark gray links in some places in dark mode. For now, bear with us, as in the future we plan to upgrade forum versions entirely, and will re-address the skins from the ground up. It's unlikely that we'll spend the time it would require to completely restore what the old light theme looked like, as that time is better spent working on the forum upgrade and the full redesign. We are working on updating some known bugs or problems with the forum skins, however.

Like dark mode? Support Anime-Planet!

Anime-Planet is fan-created and not owned by a big corporation - we're run by a small team of volunteers who love the site and community. If you like dark mode and the features here, please help us keep the servers running by adding an Ad Block exception for Anime-Planet (we have very few ads, and they are our main way we keep the site running), or see the Support page for other ways you can help.

Thanks, as always, for your ongoing support of Anime-Planet!
Thank you sire

Ah, how fitting; it's a cyberpunk profile image. :D

While I'm fine with light mode, I am actually enjoying how Dark Mode draws a series of very clear boxes around objects and groups of objects. I notice that this is part of he new site style even on light mode, but Dark Mode really accentuates this and I like it.

Also, a minor light mode glitch got fixed -- the text entry box no longer has a repeated series of gradients, but just one, if I expand it.

Thank you for all your work!

Back