The Rising of the Shield Hero 2nd Season

Oh god no. Seeing crap like this somehow get ungodly popular (based on what I know about this series I think I know exactly what kind of audience this is made for) is what makes me lose faith in the medium.
Have you watched it yet? I mean you can't say that you don't like a show until you've watched it. And I don't mean that you watch a little bit of the first episode, and decide that you hate it. Give the whole season a try, if you still don't like it, fine, but you never know.

Have you watched it yet? I mean you can't say that you don't like a show until you've watched it. And I don't mean that you watch a little bit of the first episode, and decide that you hate it. Give the whole season a try, if you still don't like it, fine, but you never know.

Dear WinterWolf1045 u are truly right about what you said before and i totally agree with you but avoid messing up with haters because everyone who has made something cute and nice will have lovers and haters so its obvious that u dont have to say to haters stop hating good stuff because they cant see what we are seeing in a series like that .. I liked in the first season the way shield hero made me feel .. i thought for a moment that what happened in the anime was like in real life even demi-humans where so familiar ..so many kids are getting kidnapped everyday and they get sold by a criminal like idol in the capital army ... So in conclusion please stay safe and dont spent ur time to say to haters what they can't really see but if its there anything that you can do to change someone's mind then take your time and be patient .... Stay frosty ...
Yours sincerely

Wow so much hate....i'm getting tired of the isekai genre myself, but i think this one is pretty decent. I liked the music and the characters and the story development. From personal experience, i can sympathize with Naofumi (however sometimes he goes a bit far).
I wonder if the more dark stuff will be animated in the 2nd season, for example:
Myne...khm Bitch getting married to the Pig King and dying from contant abuse
And that right there is a big reason why I'm not a fan of ROTSH. The author always has to go overboard in how the villains receive their comeuppance, like with what happened with the Prime Minister in the Akame ga Kill manga. I get that revenge can be ugly but I have seen other authors execute it with more finesse. Cause if revenge isn't simple and straight to the point, the protagonist(or any other character for that matter) comes off as a douche.

And that right there is a big reason why I'm not a fan of ROTSH. The author always has to go overboard in how the villains receive their comeuppance, like with what happened with the Prime Minister in the Akame ga Kill manga. I get that revenge can be ugly but I have seen other authors execute it with more finesse. Cause if revenge isn't simple and straight to the point, the protagonist(or any other character for that matter) comes off as a douche.
Honestly, Naofumi could've gone in way harder on Malty, the removal her title and a rude name change compared to what she does throughout the story seemed a little one-sided. On top of that, Naofumi originally wanted to have her executed, but the queen vetoed that because she didn't want such discord within the royal family to become international news or something. The anime changes this reasoning so that both Naofumi and the Queen had cold feet around the idea of executing her and the king.

While we're discussing what the anime does differently, I can't forget hoq Raphtalia chose to not take revenge the evil lord that enslaved her, her people and tortured her best friend to death.

Last edited:
This anime for me has been like a roller coaster. It started off intriguing, tailed off towards the end of part 1 and got somewhat dull until the "surprise" villain arrived, then picked up a bit the latter episodes of part 2. We'll see if season 2 marks continued momentum, or if it stalls like the beginning of part 2 of season 1 did.

This anime for me has been like a roller coaster. It started off intriguing, tailed off towards the end of part 1 and got somewhat dull until the "surprise" villain arrived, then picked up a bit the latter episodes of part 2.
Yeah, not just you. This is pretty much my thoughts on the show exactly.

I enjoy it, sure, but I really get the sense Shield Hero lacks a personal identity beyond a certain point; it neither wants to commit to Naofumi being a jerk, nor try and make him truly the "likeable guy" and walks a thin line between the two that leaves you hating him one minute and liking him another. Not too bad, on the whole, but when nearly every other character is written like a Straw Man Of Stupid it makes it a challenge to keep invested. I am sort of hopeful that Season Two will likely delve more into the actual plot, though; Glass is a very interesting character and the end of S2 really hints at great things.

I am cautiously optimistic thus far.

I rather like Shield Hero because, for the most part, it's a fantasy adventure show where the world is not your average romanticized medieval setting, and the protagonist has significant character flaws and shortcomings he has to work or rely on others to overcome. He's not ridiculously OP like a lot of protags (not just isekai ones, either), nor automatically idiolized by anyone. Characters that like him, like him because of his actions.

Honestly, Naofumi could've gone in way harder on Malty, the removal her title and a rude name change compared to what she does throughout the story seemed a little one-sided. On top of that, Naofumi originally wanted to have her executed, but the queen vetoed that because she didn't want such discord within the royal family to become international news or something. The anime changes this reasoning so that both Naofumi and the Queen had cold feet around the idea of executing her and the king.

While we're discussing what the anime does differently, I can't forget hoq Raphtalia chose to not take revenge the evil lord that enslaved her, her people and tortured her best friend to death.

The execution might have been easier to spin than the name change. It's pretty explicitly a matriarchal society so if they didn't want to expose their actual crimes, sufficient alternatives could simply be drummed up. It'd certainly be better from a story perspective to get rid of Malty entirely. She's a horrible one-dimensional mustache-twirling idiot villain who brings the whole narrative down just by existing.

Of course, Malty's punishment plays right into one of the things I like about the show: Naofumi is no saint. Yeah, a better man wouldn't have gone for something so vindictive and humiliating, but Naofumi is not that better man, and he's a better character for it.

Of course, Malty's punishment plays right into one of the things I like about the show: Naofumi is no saint. Yeah, a better man wouldn't have gone for something so vindictive and humiliating, but Naofumi is not that better man, and he's a better character for it.
A better man would've delivered some actual justice. Even if you want to look at it from a less personal angle, trying to assassinate the next in line for the throne like princess Salty did is a severe enough crime on it's own.

Some people simply don't have an objective understanding of quality.

Shield Hero has tremendous strengths than series, as well as weaknesses. However, this series is presented as if it were the monstrous child from Sword Art Online, which should be locked up in the attic.

Irony not? Exactly the same people who question this quality have given some empty ecchi titles 6 / and 7 out of 10. Yes, I looked at their profiles based on the comments.

At the end of the day, unfortunately, you either like a work or you ram it into the ground.

So far I'd say Shield Hero is a good 6 out of 10 or a poor 7 out of 10.

Back