Looking for non-mecha military anime

Yellow13

Hello everyone,

I'm a huge fan of military themed anime, but I don't like mecha stuff, at all.
So, did you people watc military anime that happens in a modern or older setting? I already watched Girls und Panzer, High School Fleet, Valkyria Chronicles, Zipang, The Pilot's Love Song, Library Wars and Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai, and I'm looking for similar stuff. I've tried watching Girly Air Force, but dropped it very quickly

I can only think of Alderamin on the Sky and Pumpkin Scissors outside of what you said.

If you don't mind a little extra fantasy, Gate is kind of military (I guess only in dressing, but the anime was funded by Japan's government, I believe) and I think Last Exile is a fucking incredible series (with some fairly glaring faults later on that keep it from obtaining perfection) but it has some good military characters and movements in it.

Anti-Magic Academy: The 35th Test Platoon was mindlessly entertaining, I guess. It's more of a hodgepodge of cliches than a military specific, but they are a military unit.

Oh... and I haven't watched it in over 10 years, and I can only recall the CGI being attrocious, but Blue Submarine No. 6 was military involved, although I cannot remember if that was from a political or action standpoint.

Based on the suggestions I have seen so far, I can also confirm Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Alderamin in the Sky, and Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood are all good options, but I will also suggest a few of my own.

SAO Alternative Gun Gale Online takes place shortly after the Gun Gale arc of Sword Art Online season 2. Inspired by Kirito and Sinon working together and winning together during the bullet of bullets tournament, a private investor sponsors a battle royale with squads instead of individuals.

Saga of Tanya the Evil is about someone who is a tactical genius born into a world with a combination of WW1 technology and magic. She ends up going into the military of a country that while powerful, is surrounded by enemies on all of its borders. She does her best to use her knowledge of Earth's history to bring victory to her new country in her new world.

Strike Witches takes place in a world where all of humanity is threatened by a hive mind race called the Neuroi. A squadron of girls from all over the world come together to form the 501st Joint Fighter Wing and they do their best to protect their home countries from the Neuroi threat.

Back