Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Episode 101
Reinhard's TV is a bit close to the couch might want to correct that before the child is born.

Julian seriously brushed the bench. oh boy. >>

Yep starve the people tell they give in. Totally legitimate practice.

Episode 102
There is something to say about having a sense of humor during war.
I don't particularly want to shrink his head at the moment but I might have some comments later.​

I know I would not want a mosquito in my bed.

Episode 103
“100% apple juice”.
Should I be concerned about Big Brother watching me eat an apple while watching this?​

Episode 104

Reinhard's PJs look comfy.

Curses can have great effect when properly executed

Episode 105
Dusting should be habitual.

Episode 106
I'm in the mood to do some swimming now.

Kesler way to step up even if you did have a little assistance.

Alexander. I like it.

Episode 107
Bittenfeld as your right flank could be a mistake Reinhard.

He lost more than a little composure. Attacking a doctor. FOR SHAME!!!

Schenkopp has absolutely no say in Julian’s potential fatherhood.

Episode 108
A year already. Feels like just a few eps ago.
R0xq6a112G-5vfL26F6DpTpZCDLH6SO_1oFIX3OqhPsluxtIcmVdUK6SOkwMPBzqnL2RKm967u47LRX9BQKEnfbckzTxaGHvP017kx1una4mumDqd-_tipRctZ9E_torXocDe3Ge

Bittenfeld’s doing well. I’m shocked.

Emil treasure Your Majesty's final moments. I know he hasn’t got long.

Might be a bit of a cheat to use the ax for support but at least he made it to Reinhard.

Episode 109
0jTl8GaJ1qeOMXdtnkQcmfa7sR-a3Wo05PxifZnswq5FWo7nuUhOmmzZe9cnQZeoAA1xVeZfrXpxxVgRH0dyY4af4clTWhZgc0Z1KEmcTwOTdhRrr-raXFJ5u1eJ_2LavMGoH9if
I knew Julian was going to confess at some point
0jTl8GaJ1qeOMXdtnkQcmfa7sR-a3Wo05PxifZnswq5FWo7nuUhOmmzZe9cnQZeoAA1xVeZfrXpxxVgRH0dyY4af4clTWhZgc0Z1KEmcTwOTdhRrr-raXFJ5u1eJ_2LavMGoH9if

Reinhard evaded danger with a makeshift litter. That is impressive.

Big shocker: the last chapter’s going to be Phezzan.

Episode 110 [It’s over already?}
A storm to accompany Reinhard’s descent to the netherworld is a fitting end to this tale.

Obersteins death: I choose to be he miscalculated.

Felix will reach for the stars as many before him did and many will long after his mortal life.

Jo-pTWHCdudzyv9jtExsflOsEXdbgidC-ZJytDm-WB9sIlumeTdFCwTl_d4zedWbdstIdoCK6Alh5F7z2DR8hBOFPVlIrJCJqV2Hg9D-NX2TpfyvO8zkMQNM8J35VxhbrrFqVFAk

Overall Thoughts
I appreciate the creators keeping the titles and names on screen for all the episodes.
There were quite a few people to keep track of, their standings, same last names, the promotions, introduction of new people in just about every ep, and the time spent away from the character/s and anime.

I’m sure the creator(s) had a giant bored somewhere to keep them all in eye shot while thinking up stories and intertwining tales. Keeping so many characters alive and tracking where they are and what they do is more than a full time job.​

I think my fav name is Luglanju it’s fun to say.
Merkatz’s is a close second.​

Muller Ironshield vs. Thorin Oakenshild.
I know who I’d vote for.​

This show, not just anime, is one of the better ones in terms of showing and telling just how widespread war is and all those who are affected. Whether someone loses a sibling, a parent, a friend, a child, a distant relative, a lover, a commander, a comrade, a subordinate, or themself, all are represented.

Not everyone loses someone through death, some people change sides, become too deeply involved in lies that they can’t return to who they were before, some believe they are following orders and when the dust settles, realize the truth of their actions, some find peace unpeaceful - their time spent on the battlefield has hindered their ability to function as a civilian. War is never just a three letter word.

A lot of other stories focus on a few characters and many play with one side - good vs. evil - here both sides and their losses are given just treatment.

While stories about one main character - or a group of main characters - can garner more sympathy with a watcher, are easily recognizable, and the audience can become attached to the MC(s) cheering for their cause, a story that deals with many characters can be just as worthy of telling. An audience can come to cheer for both sides and the anticipation of what lies ahead for these guys on opposites sides can keep them tuning in for 110 weeks.

I understand that it can be a whole lot of work to put together a story like this and many studios and networks are probably reluctant to agree to such a task, it’s nice that at least one tale with this depth has been created, shared, and is available now - though I doubt it’ll ever be placed on regular television again.

I really liked the music. All the opening and ending themes were sweet and meaningful with moving lyrics.

• 1st opening: The romantic theme didn’t overwhelm or undermine the story about galactic war, it was a suitable introduction and accompaniment for the story.
  • 1st ending:Julian would have walked beside Yang through every galaxy. Yang would have stayed by Julian’s side as his adoptive father, mentor, and friend. “Across the bride of light” there are no doubts about their feelings.
  • 2nd opening: Physical distance will not quell the bond. A testament to many of the characters but particularly for Seig and Reinhard and Reinhard and Annarose. It also works well as foreshadowing for more than one death.
  • 2nd ending: As those who’ve given or lost their lives during the war and those who will not survive slideshow through the stars there is one who must stand tall and continue on. For as long as he is able. “Try listening to the prelude of your journey.”
  • 3rd opening: “Lay your heart down unto the sea of the stars” - they will not fail you and you will not fail them. They’ll understand your heart and keep your dream alive unto eternity.
  • 3rd ending: Oooh how I got teary-ed the first time I saw this. I knew what it was foreshadowing and I was heartbroken. Up to this point and even after I was rooting for Reinhard and his triumph and yet when I suspected Yang was not long for this world I dreaded watching the next episode. I didn’t have much investment in either sides political shenanigans or the different types of peace they were aiming to achieve but individually Reinhard’s ambitions to rule the galaxy and get back Annarose, reunite Seig with her and create a world where commoners don’t get sent to war and slaughtered so nobles can party and buy daughters pulled me more than Yang’s I don’t really want to be a soldier, I just want to lounge around and sleep late attitude. Julian I was liking and I enjoyed his housekeeping skills and the bond forming between him and Yang. To watch a future Julian lost in his memories while staring at a picture of Yang while “we say there’s no parting for us if our hearts are conveyed to each other” sparks a “loneliness that suddenly seizes” - This last line also connects with a fandom couple I recently learned are in a similar yet very different situation. It’s one that tears me down to depression for several reasons and the main one is that they’re pretty much the first two characters I’ve ever shipped - way before I even knew that term. I love them individually, I love them together, and their relationship is so far from where it should be that I’m getting choked up just typing this. So I’m going back to Julian and Yang. Their relationship pains me too but not anywhere near the same level and I’ve got more to say about this ending. When this ending took the previous ones place Yang was still going strong, his feelings for Greenhill were clearer to everyone - including the audience - he’d solidified his command, his popularity and general likability among many senior soldiers was at an unprecedented level, and the boring unnecessary meetings showed off his humorous side. So to start with a picture slideshow of a picnic that turns into an aged Julian sitting alone staring at Yang’s picture was like shoving something blunt into the chest and stomach at the same time. Not only was this showing potentially the last leisurely group-get-together Yang was apart of it also may have been Julian’s go-to memory. Considering how much happened between the two to only be able to recall a single day {a single meal!} is like a slap in the face and keister simultaneously. Julian should be able to recall several; it would be so terrible if his memories of the time spent with Yang were so limited. Now I get that this probably wasn’t what was meant by using a group picnic but it is something that struck me. When I think of those who have gone my most special memories are those just between the two of us. Episode 78 ends with the narrator informing the audience that the talk just witnessed was the final night the two spent together. I had to take a break before I could watch the next one. Just as I took a break when Seig was murdered and Reinhard held him close as his first and only friend’s blood stained his hand and clothes. Reinhard and Julian have fewer memories of their loved ones than they should, much fewer than I would prefer and though I like to believe that their together in the netherworld eventually I remain deeply saddened by their separation.
  • 4th opening: Clutch the pendant with everything you have Reinhard, Seig is with you. Always and Forever. The bond between you will forever and always having me teary-eyed.
  • 4th ending: People are not always assigned meaning at birth. Some decide their purpose and others are thrust into roles they couldn’t have imagined. Like Yang who became a commander though his dream was far from bloodshed or Reinhard who wanted nothing more than to have his sister back becoming kaiser, meaning can also blindside you. Julian may have once been content as Yang’s attendant but circumstances wouldn’t let him continue as he pleased. Hilda didn’t intend to fall for Reinhard and Frederica may have believed for years that Yang would never look at her in the same way she watched him. As their realities solidified they realized they were something different from what they once were and what they desired most was to keep striving for a world where they could be happy. When they could no longer do so personally they passed on their legacy to their loved ones. Those who fade leave behind “a particle of the universe” that reaches “all the stars.”

Not everyone is right all the time, those that can admit when they are wrong or when they could be wrong are far superior to those who deny having ever misspoken.

Fairy tales can be the foundation of laws and justice.

A laser-ring is a weapon I should have but I would not use it on Seig.

I feel like people put themselves in Thor's hammer's path too often.

Julian brings up the idea of people suffering as they strive for righteousness towards the end.

It's an idea that is universal, global, and complex: potentially unanswerable.

Why must those seeking to create a better life suffer?

Is it simply because anything worth having must be worked for?

Couldn't there be a less gruesome way to establish a worthwhile world?

Does the root lie in ethics and viewpoints or is there an ancient reason? One that predates everything? Or one that emerges as people created societies?

Perhaps an innate desire to seek those who may threaten acceptability?

If no one can ever be certain that they won't be challenged for their ideals is it not logical to desire death for all threats?

Or are threats, the only thing that keep warmongering thriving?​

Is peace ever really peaceful?​

What you believe is up to you. Whether you agree with war or not is your decision but circumstances may press you to defend your position. Even if you are against violence would you just sit back and let those you care for die as they are forced or freely choose to fight? If you are in favor can you justify killing someone important to someone else simply because their uniform is different. Perhaps such questions can only be answered in the moment.

Even when the flames of war die down, the embers can blaze once again.

People talk a lot about fate but if they all really believe in the concept then why try as hard as they are/did to do what has already been decided? If those in positions of power - those that decide when to deploy troops - are at the mercy of predestination then what’s the point in taking opportunities if those opportunities will lead in one direction regardless of how much effort is put forth? Whether someone fights to the last man, runs away to fight another day, sacrifice themself, sells their child, takes bribes, is insubordinate, loyal to the end, fighting for themself, fighting for a fatherland, fighting for their sister - anything and everything - all of those things were decided and everyone will act their part so what’s the point? 110 episodes of predictability? Who would want to watch that?

The blood animation was hard not to mock.

There was too much alcohol consumption in this for my taste.

There was some forward thinking in this anime that went beyond the technological gadgets and gizmos.

• Skin color was irrelevant when it came to rankings and promotions.
    • People were based on their actions rather than the pigment of their skin.
  • Women were able to work somewhat alongside their male counterparts.

• Male children had the choice to attend school or become a soldier, there was no drafting.
But there were also some issues
  • Social standing was based on family status and birth dictated individuals life, present and future.

• The war had been going on for over 100 years - 150 at the start of episode 1 → (140 years when Reinhard and Seig were young {ep 4 flashback}
    • Not once in that time frame did anyone really consider that things needed to change, that partying was solving nothing, keeping nobles off the field was unnecessary for any real legitimate reason, or that all the lives lost up to that point were pointless “sacrifices”.
      • I find it hard to digest the presentation: that it wasn’t till Reinhard lost his sister to the Imperial Palace {sold for more than a pretty penny} that change was instigated. Someone else, on either side, had to have been doing something to really bring about the end of the war.
        • Okay and speaking of selling a daughter for a bag of shiny shillings. *GRR* face. Whether Annarose actually agreed to “serve” or not is a separate issue. That father could have done more to keep his eldest child safe.
          • If it was necessary for the story - as the impetus that spurred the major players in ending the war {Reinhard & Seig} then perhaps a different circumstance would have served better. For instance a family member or friend sacrificed to the cause - as Jessica lost Jean - or as Vier lost Aubend and their son, his father.
            • This may be my own dissatisfaction with the chosen backstory but there it is. My thoughts. Concluded.

This and Space BattleShip Yamato I would watch... if only there were updated visuals for my taste, I would watch this series too.

Doubt anyone will see this or care, and I did this like two months ago, but in case anyone is wondering about the listed studios: they are all correct; after looking through the OP and ED credits to every LotGH series, episode, and film, these are the correct studios that animated the project. For specific information on which episodes were done by who, see the series' Wikipedia article (specifically the infoboxes). This took about 4 hours to do; all I know is pain.

What a fascinating show. I watched 2 episodes tonight, eps 7 and 8, but it feels like I watched 5. In a good way of course. You'd expect with the runtime that the pacing would be pretty slow but it's actually quite fast.

Dropped LoGH after 23 episodes.
Not sure, but it probably was a combination of the old age and the overall slow pace that drove me away.
Not to say it is a bad show, rather it is not for everyone.

everyone: "hmmm i dunno about this plan, it's alright but there's a lot that could go wrong"

lohengramm: "and it's finna be called operation: ragnarok"

everyone: "FUCK YEAH LETS DO IT"

Just watched "My Conquest is the Sea of Stars", after watching just two episodes I really enjoyed this brief background look at how the two main characters came to be. Looking forward to this show's progression

Love seeing people watch this series.

Big fan of the empire in this, I find them the real fun part, though both sides are interesting in their own ways.

But Oberstein, Reuenthal, Lohengramm are all so much fun, even with colourful characters like Bittenfeld on the side.

Love seeing people watch this series.

Big fan of the empire in this, I find them the real fun part, though both sides are interesting in their own ways.

But Oberstein, Reuenthal, Lohengramm are all so much fun, even with colourful characters like Bittenfeld on the side.

The empire is so much more interesting to me than the alliance because it feels like Reinhard's got to struggle harder. Whereas miracle Yang is like HAHAHA, I've suddenly got you now without trying that hard and is such a troll. Yang was always so OP to me in this show, but I still love him either way and was an excellent counterpoint to how democracy is flawed as a form of government.

Reinhard is more interesting strategically, but I find Yang's side far more interesting politically/philosophically, and prefer the characters in the Alliance in general. It's very relevant to today, even.

Unpopular opinion probably, but I really hate Oberstein. I understand his character and what he's supposed to be, but I just really constantly get mad at him
:crying:

After just watching the battle at Iserlohn Fortress I've cemented my wanting to finish this series. I loved the tactics despite some arguably silly plot devices, but I was very surprised that episode 7 had such an increase in the animation quality. It seems like Madhouse worked on only that episode, but if they throw money at every major battle in the series like this then I'm sold

After just watching the battle at Iserlohn Fortress I've cemented my wanting to finish this series. I loved the tactics despite some arguably silly plot devices, but I was very surprised that episode 7 had such an increase in the animation quality. It seems like Madhouse worked on only that episode, but if they throw money at every major battle in the series like this then I'm sold
The artstyle goes through varying changes episode-by-episode, from what I can tell besides the action sequences there's really no rhyme or reason to it.

dusty.png

sdadasd.PNG

They really didn't try to hide which studios involved created what episode.

Back