Sakura-Gari

Vol. 1 Ch. 1 & 2
THIS HAS A 4.15 AVERAGE? ಠ_ಠ
This is... without a doubt, the most poorly written shit I've ever read in my whole fucking life. I can't even take it seriously. We have these softly drawn panels juxtaposed against these fiercely drawn yaoi panels. It's bananas. But, not even that, the lines are just so cliche. I mean, I've reach a lot of shit that was just pandering a fanbase, but god damn, this isn't even trying to hide the fact.

UvjF74A.png
HRctqBR.png

ebd.jpg

Onto the next chapter, I guess the first chapter had different art on purpose. We're getting into "conventional" setup.
This chapter is a fucking roller coaster.
LjlQ9Fl.png

maxresdefault.jpg
sQo26Dm.png

1NxDv4X.png

ebd.jpg
Where is @Thrawn when you need him? Send help.

I can't really even connect the lines at this point. I'm reading it and reading it, and not really even comprehending what is being said or what we're aiming for, and I just do not care. Partially because it's yaoi, I suppose, but moreso because they just say things to say things. It's not well written at all. How is this a 4.15? I'm just so perplexed. People be like, "Boy love deserves a high rating just because boys."

I was gonna do 1 Volume at a time, but gotta eat dinner first. Still, at 9 chapters total, I'm hoping to get this knocked out ASAP... yeah.

tenor.gif

Vol 1. Ch. 3 & 4

It's like everyone in this manga is having their own conversations and speaking to only themselves. Two people will be in a panel and none of what is being said acknowledges what either of the other characters said.

So as I got to the end of Chapter 3 we started to get some cohesion of the plot. I'm not sure what the relevance of the first two chapters had to the rest of the plot, but now it's just Fifty Shades of Grey but with boys. I guess the guy's name is Souma, and apparently he's dripping with so much sexuality that everyone wants to fuck him and then they kill themselves after, because reasons. Based on the main character, it's because he's stained and feels dirty. He thought Souma would be a role model and instead he got fucked, quite literally.

So, at least things are easier to follow now, those first two chapters though. Dear lord...

Vol 2.
This must be a translation error, there was another instance of it in Volume 1 but I sort of just ignored it then.
KEOibR8.png

300 yen isn't a lot of money my man. They must mean like 300 million or something.

Ohhh, I just do not care about this at all. All these revelations are happening and it's just like, "Yeah. I guess. Sure." Most of this manga is just other characters raping, beating up, or killing one another. They have some pretty heavy handed lines:
qoWUTfY.png

Despite this, they haven't actually shown a penis or even a vague, shadowy shape of one. You see the characters bent over and sort of the after shots of what was clearly oral and anal penetration. They really aren't even showing any lingering fluids. It wants to be taken seriously and not just come off as a hentai.

I feel like this is going to end in the equivalent of, "The real treasure was the friendship we found along the way." Souma liked this kid, raped him, supposedly fell in love with him, mourning over enslaving him attempts suicide, and then the kid, despite being raped and beaten and used is just like, "Aw shucks, I can't stay mad at you."

The party is over. This time, however, I don't wish to keep dancing.

Vol 3.
I didn't mention it before, but Souma (the guy who is a sociopath and rapes people and convinces them to kill themselves) visits his sick dad periodically. While doing so, he lets down his hair and goes by the name Abigail (his mother), pretending to be his dead mother whom his father had an affair with. Can't make this stuff up. Yet this has a 4.15 average... I mean, he was born out of wedlock, he's heir to his family's fortune, he murders and rapes people. They were like, "What's the tops story? He's a bastard? He's rich? He's hot? What angle are we going for?" And the author was like, "Yes."

I was considering not including this next block of text, because it's just kind of a summary of events. But I think it's important information to know in regards to the rest of my thoughts and analysis of this series.

So it looks like the major "mystery" element of the plot has been resolved as of Ch. 7. Souma's step mother had committed suicide early on, and it sort of started this whole whoring around and death thing. There are already a lot of swirling rumors around this family because of that. So the cops and everyone really are like, "Did Souma do it?" As it turns out; Souma and his friend (a doctor) are the ones who killed the step mother. They harbor this secret and their the original power couple of this series. But, Souma falls in love with the main character of this series and the doctor gets super jealous and rapes and abuses the main character. So now Souma goes over to pay his regards, and fucks the doctor's wife and then kills him. So, we're on track for the next two chapters to focus on the future and whether or not Souma will get to be with his true love, the main character.

The weirdest part about this series is that the main character is displaying typical rape victim traits. He's damaged, unclean, disgusting, etc. Yet, the story still is making it out like Souma is a good guy. When he clearly is not. He does this to so many people and now we're getting this angle of, "Souma feels bad because he legitimately cares about main character." That's nice, he still did the same thing to main character that he did to all those people he didn't care about. It bothers me that this is so well received, because what does that mean? People long for this type of a relationship? I'd feel more tolerable of a kink or fetish than I would of straight longing for emotional abuse. Every character in this series basically hates or resents one another. Even the minor characters.

BTW: The main characters name is Masakata.
So, it looks like he is going to confront Souma about the abuse and try to figure himself out. So it's become more a story about overcoming grief and misfortune. I still kind of think the series is leading us to a MasakataxSouma ending...
Yeah, as of the start of Ch. 9 we have Masakata covering for Souma and generally sympathizing with him. Fucking knew this shit was gonna happen.

Oh my lord... this chapter is undoing everything this series set out to do. All of a sudden Masakata was "dirty" from the beginning because he was a child born because his mother was raped. Not because he himself was raped, he was dirty well beyond that. There's another subplot that retcons some of Souma's "guilt." I don't really feel like going into it though. >_>

breath-in-boi-27541472.png

...Wow, I've never seen a series throw itself away within a few pages of the ending. I thought we were just in for a concise short story about yaoi, but it's sort of all over the place with the convoluted subplots and not knowing where it wanted to go. I almost think the author wanted more than 9 chapters but upon not getting more than that, refused to give up any of their ideas. In addition, while we got a MasakataxSouma ending, it was thrown away for zero reason at all, only to then be retconned -- So they end up together but Souma is so guilty and is going to turn himself into the police so he is like, "Leave forever, baka." So Masakata leaves and then a servant comes and is like, "Hey, don't worry Souma, I've taken care of everything. You're just as much a victim as anyone else." So Souma is like, "Alright, I guess." Presumably he was going to reunite with Masakata? But then some random guy comes and stabs him and he dies. Story over.

I hate this manga.

Side note: I found out through the grapevine that the first chapter I read was actually not the first chapter of this series. So, that's why there was such a disconnect between chapters 1 & 2 for me. I legitimately am struggling with a rating, because these past few chapters I've been like, "Okay. I get what they are trying to do. It's not as ridiculous as I thought as of Ch.1." It at least connected more than I thought, but then dat ending man... It's definitely not a 4, and it's not even near a 3. I don't want to outright just give it a .5 because that just seems salty. So, it's somewhere between a 1 and a 2.

Edit: I decided on a 1/5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back