Ubume no Natsu

My first manga for the Manga Raffle League! Woohoo!

I read volume 1 so far, and I'm not sure what to think of it yet. There's a mystery to solve here, but it's not quite clear yet if we're going to get a supernatural explanation or not. Some characters do seem to have supernatural powers though, even if they try to explain it with TONS of metaphysical pseudo-science mumbo-jumbo.
Speaking of which, it's a bit too obvious that this manga is based on a novel... all the exposition is annoying and mostly not very relevant to the plot. I kinda wish some editor had told the author or manga artist to put less bloat in it and focus more on the plot.

Random positive things: I like the art, there's a nice-looking lady in kimono, there's a cute tomboy, the detective dude is funny
Random negative things: the MC and his book-selling friend are kind of annoying...

Volume 2:
MC-kun is growing increasingly more annoying -he's swayed way too easily-, and the mystery is expanding at a snail's pace.
And now somehow MC-kun thinks it's all supernatural, while there are perfectly normal explanations for all events too... he seems to not know about Occam's razor

At least our new policeman character looks like a cool guy

Volume 3:
So... the mystery is largely solved already, and the result is pretty damn lame imo. Onmyouji-kun's solution feels like an absolute asspull.

Volume 4:
Man, my head hurts. All the semi-scientific exposition to explain everything that happened is really way too lame and makes it feel like the author tried way too hard to make things interesting and dubious. It might've been better if it were a normal supernatural/horror story instead.

Back