Hitoribocchi no OO Seikatsu

Episode 2

I'm pretty surprised how well the anime does with making zany characters seem a bit more like real people. Honestly, while the main voice actress kind of slipped and wasn't as convincing with some line delivery overall the episode was great and very cute. I suppose the voice actresses range is a bit stressed here, supposedly. I'm already loving the new addition it just seems so fitting to have a character that's a little confused in here. Confused in a good way, this time around as her characterisation has fine grounds, I'd say. Of course the the new member of the main group is a little more generic in design than I'd like but as she's the vice-president who's supposed to look proper I can't really blame them for a more generic or rather more ''conforming'' design.

Episode 1:

I love her little notebook of how she can fulfil her promise but not make any friends XD "Get rid of Middle School", "Be in a class by herself", and now "We all kindly ask that your transfer schools." XD This is amazing and I love it. So far this show has been adorable and funny. I love all the scenes of her finding quiet places to be by herself too, the area behind the school DID look very peaceful.

She's gonna fuck up and make all the damn friends if all her plans work out as well as that one XD No one even knows who she is yet and they all think she's funny.

SHE THREW UP THIS POOR SWEET CHILD I WANT TO HUG HER. As a super socially awkward human I relate to her situation so much XD

Boo Boo Pig hip XD What kind of umbrella is this?
unknown.png

3rd favorite so far.

Episode 2:

Anyone would get mad over that. "I'm friends with you because my other friend made me promise I would be or she won't be friends with me" It's a decent idea to give someone a push but being on the receiving side of that would be similar to a "I'm dating you because I made a bet with my friends" No one wants to feel used like that. I totally get why she'd be mad.

Bocci is so damn cute and awkward. I wonder when she'll be friends with one of the boys. idk why but i'm the most interested in seeing how she'll be friends with the boys over how she'll be friends with the girls.

And yay! Friend #2!!!

1:

Okay, so normally I really don't watch this kind of stuff, but since Crunchyroll does not have anything else I find even remotely interesting in my region this season I thought I'd give it a try, and I'm... actually pleasantly surprised. This is way too adorable.

Bocchi's ridiculous shyness was quite funny to me, especially with her plans to get out of her promise early in the episode. But what really made the episode for me was how well her awkwardness clashes with Nako, who's way more confident in herself and doesn't seem to have a problem talking to people at all. She makes for a good foil for Bocchi's antics without being mean-spirited about it, and I appreciate that since it makes for a fun yet heartfelt dynamic.

I certainly am looking forward to seeing their relationship develop. Nako having a "dream, but it's a secret" seems to imply there's some more going on with her too beneath the surface, so I'm hoping it'll turn out to be interesting.

What I'm a little wary of is how far the show will allow itself to stray from its initial premise. If Bocchi really has to make friends with all 27 or so students of her class, then the cast will become way too big pretty quickly, hindering proper character development and increasing the chance the concept will get stale. Instead, I'd prefer if somewhere down the line, both Bocchi and her childhood friend were to realize that making friends with absolutely everyone is neither possible nor sensible, and that fewer but high quality relationships are preferable. Judging from this episode alone the show seems to be taking a fairly realistic approach, so I could see it go down this way.

Never thought I'd enjoy this as much as I did based on the synopsis. Guess it doesn't hurt to try something new every once in a while after all.

Last edited:
2:

Solid follow-up. Nako is quickly becoming my favourite character. Girl says it like it is, and I like that. Honshou meanwhile makes for a nice twist on the "overly friendly and helpful class president" trope. I like how both of them called Bocchi out on just wanting to be friends because of her promise. As noted in my episode 1 commentary, I've been hoping Bocchi would slowly learn what friendship is truly about over the course of the series and it seems the show is going in that direction, which pleases me.

Episode 3:
VP headbutting Nako is a running gag. I'm so happy.

Bocchi is the highest ratio of awkward to cute I think I've ever seen.
0BF2bey.gif

Having an entire bear ensemble for when she gets excited, yet another thing that makes no sense but gosh dang if I don't love it. Her being too happy to have Nako over to even pay attention to her until she properly welcomed her is some of that innocent sweetness I need in my life.

Nako is just a misunderstood delinquent. Not a fan of the teacher turning tail whenever she does something, especially when she should be more than able to tell Nako was just being genuinely nice. Sure it's a gag but that's gonna be one that has already run its course for me. Here's to hoping she'll be more than just a device to remind people how Nako is looked at by others.
When Aru couldn't headbut Nako since they were in public but somehow instead pulling out a giant scroll is A OK :laugh:

I'm glad we got this episode of just these three before another character introduction. No fighting for the spotlight hopefully. Looks like next episode we'll get that blonde girl, can't wait to see what dynamic to the group she can add.

Episode 3

Eh, the running headbutting gag is a little overused here for my taste. The teacher thing is something that could be resolved in the ongoing plot I suppose I think it's somewhat likely at least. As far as the episode I was mostly fairly happy with it. They're keeping leaning in on the strengths so far and giving glimpses of characters in the background that probably be important later which makes the place feel more alive I suppose. So yeah, another consistent episode.

3:

Cute episode again. I like the focus they put on Nako and how she's not quite as much of a delinquent as she seems. She DOES have her moments of being a jerk though, like when she teases Bocchi at the end by seemingly confirming her suspicions. Aru though? The "Don't call me unfortunate!" gag is getting old really fast, and so far she seems pretty one note. I'm hoping there will be some more development for her because at the moment I'm getting a little tired of her already, and that's not a good sign.

Ep3:
This episode I really had to think about why I enjoy it less and less. The jokes are getting really repetitive and stale and moe is the only thing that remains. And that was when I realized this is a 'cute girls doing cute things'-show, only with social anxiety as the hook.
Looking at the OP, it'll be 4 girls in the main cast doing zany and moe stuff.

Ep3:
This episode I really had to think about why I enjoy it less and less. The jokes are getting really repetitive and stale and moe is the only thing that remains. And that was when I realized this is a 'cute girls doing cute things'-show, only with social anxiety as the hook.
Looking at the OP, it'll be 4 girls in the main cast doing zany and moe stuff.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I thought the episode was alright, but found myself considerably less entertained than by the first two.

Episodes 1-3
Holy carp, this show is amazingly cute and hilarious. Funny to the point where I had to rewind a few scenes and laugh at the jokes again.

Particularly Bocchi's randomly playing the recorder with zero explanation, and I found the text messages of, "Hitori Bocchi, desu," funny, but it wasn't until she puts on the bear costume and starts gesticulating wildly that I was rolling.

Nako is a great character, and the perfect tsukkomi to Bocchi's batshit crazy bundle of adorable. Also there's Aru, who's... well, she's there, too.

I did laugh when she busted out the scroll, but only the first time.

I don't think she'll be one of my favorites. How unfortunate.

Back