That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime

Episode 21
I get that he wants to honor Shizu-san, by taking on the role of protector for these kids, but this episode is really not much to it. It only gets interesting towards the end, with the Superior Spirits, and the dragon battle was so lopsided it wasnt even really worth having there.

I guess the author got tired of waiting for Yusei Matsui to make an AssClass spinoff with Nagisa as a teacher because this is legit like a fantasy world version of that would be like. But also like, with less personality and less dramatic dark humor.

Dammit, I just really want that spinoff/sequel.
Pretty fantastic all around, it was fun seeing those kids try to even lay a finger on rimuru, and how he handled them/struggled to handle their emotions there. Still lighthearted and didn't get too deep into it though. But it was fun!

Rimuru beating a dragon was pretty standard stuff of course. And then a merchant joins the crew!

BITCH IF YOU LIVE IN A WORLD OF MAGIC DO A MAGIC SPELL, AINT WANNA HEAR NONE OF THAT PRAYER SHIT

Episode 21

This show really lost its way before the last 2 episodes and it's funny that this complete left turn that pauses everything occurring within the forest is what seems like a return to form.

The kids are good characters, they have interesting powers and I really do hope Rimiru can save them and that they join his larger crew.

What I don't want is for this to become a monster-of-the-week type show that's not heading in any particular direction. The overpowered demon lord loli serving as a Deux Ex Machina didn't help things. What real danger could they ever be in with her around?

So I think that's why breaking from the forest and going on a completely different journey has been good for the show in the short term, we'll see if it means anything long term.

I felt like this was a bit of a weak follow-up to last week. It also seems like this season is going to end with the kids being saved, based on the pacing. I thought that might be a plot for a potential next season, but I doubt it at this point.

I don't really have any opinions on the kids, the battle with Rimuru and the kids were pretty lackluster. For him "showing the overwhelming difference" in their respective powers, it was basically just him hopping around. I was expecting him to at least knock them out or throw something back at them, at the very least. And, I agree with @renorxukuth, it really didn't even seem worth having the dragon battle in this. Might as well have had the whole thing off screen.

If there is another season, I hope there will be a decent time skip between the kids being saved and Rimuru returning to his town. That could be interesting, coming back in like 5 years, when the kids are more like teenagers and have been trained up a bit. Then we see the town again, maybe there are some political problems that have stirred up in Rimuru's absence, and have the kids sort of fold into the plot as people who are stronger, more intelligent than they are now and aren't simply on the screen because they need to be saved from death.

22:

I hate to be that guy but I feel like speaking out about what I've been feeling for a while now regarding this show. Which is..... boooooooring. I really don't know what exactly it is that's missing now, but I haven't been invested in this story all that much lately. Maybe it just got stale for me? Early on I was intrigued by the concept of an overpowered main character being a peace loving hippie who relies on diplomacy instead of raw power, but at this point I wish there was SOME kind of drama, tension, SOMETHING. But it's just "Rimuru solves everything with words except when he can't but then he's never in danger because he's so strong" week after week, and I'm honestly getting tired of it. Doesn't help that I don't really care all that much about the kids. Or the obnoxious fairy.

alright.

Did they have actual stakes? Nah. Isekai. Did they circumvent that and make it entertaining anyways like they usually do?

...not really.

This episode was not great. The fairy is shit besides when she's just a floating navi ball.

I agree with @FunkyTim and @Polarfuchs. There just isn't anything really going on, for awhile. I wish they had just contained the front half of this to one season, rather than giving us a 2-cour out of the gate. The pacing, and the plot are just really suffering as we get towards the end of this. I remember just an episode or two ago they had said it had been 2 years since Rimuru came to this world. It doesn't feel like that at all.

Can't really say I cared for this episode much either. The labyrinth was rather underwhelming, and once again we are sort of given this dues ex machina character who, once again, has no real personality or backstory. I feel like we just keep going through the same thing over and over, and nothing is being gained at this point.

I started mentioning after episode 6 or 7 that this show just has too much feel good going on and that it really needed some repercussions.

I think one of the biggest issues is that we're just introduced to too many new characters too quickly. I will give the show credit for making every character stand out in their own unique way.

The pattern of the show seems that we meet new faces, Rim has to impress them, they become friends and we move on to new characters shortly after. We're repeating the same trick over and over again.

The show would benefit if we'd focus a little more on the issues of a growing city or if we moved quicker in the direction to avenge Shizue Izawa.

I started mentioning after episode 6 or 7 that this show just has too much feel good going on and that it really needed some repercussions.

I think one of the biggest issues is that we're just introduced to too many new characters too quickly. I will give the show credit for making every character stand out in their own unique way.

The pattern of the show seems that we meet new faces, Rim has to impress them, they become friends and we move on to new characters shortly after. We're repeating the same trick over and over again.

The show would benefit if we'd focus a little more on the issues of a growing city or if we moved quicker in the direction to avenge Shizue Izawa.

It's not so much that there are too many characters, but simply that none of them even seem to matter to the story. But, I definitely agree that we should be focusing on Rimuru's city, and his political position juxtaposed against the already established cities, regions, and politics. That's basically what I was looking for out of the gate, after watching Episode 1-2.

It's not so much that there are too many characters, but simply that none of them even seem to matter to the story. But, I definitely agree that we should be focusing on Rimuru's city, and his political position juxtaposed against the already established cities, regions, and politics. That's basically what I was looking for out of the gate, after watching Episode 1-2.

That kind of goes hand in hand, we don't get enough time with these new characters. They stand out but they don't add anything because they don't get given the time to shine because we're already moving on to new characters.

Ep23:
Wait, what? It's over and next week we just get a random extra story? That was.. anticlimactic.

I also thought the kids would figure more into the story, since the ED was about them and so on, but well.. I guess not?

Now they just allude to some stuff and I honestly don't know if that is for another season or as bait to buy the source material.

Ep23.
I feel like this was a waste of an episode. Especially a waste of a “finale”
And I’m saying that as someone who has been enjoying this anime thus far.....

And the fact that the next 2 episodes are unrelated when I went in expecting a conclusion... I feel deflated.

so... in short...

"Thanks for watching, Read the LN's"?

:)))

[The Grinch's heart shrank three sizes that day]

It's still sitting on a 8/10 for me though. It lost steam in those last two eps but heck I was enjoying it for most of those episodes. And even the latest episode was more charming than the last.

Still the best isekai.

2.5/5

The show did some great things in the city building department and we got introduced to some cool characters that do stand out but we never really dove into any of these characters so it really felt like a wasted opportunity.

The show started to feel repetitive in the way it deals with problems and that was mainly because it didn't want to deal with controversy or add proper consequences. So we were left with a feel good show that didn't have any real stingers.

The show tries to paint us a picture of how massive everything is in this world but it won't let us enjoy these environments, instead we spend most of our time in little rooms and courtyards.

We're also introduced to a maze in the show which could have been a great experience but it'd be unfair to call this a maze since all they really did was walk in a straight line to reach their destination. It's these moments that make me feel that we're watching a watered down version of the manga and there are excellent opportunities to put these environments to good use but the show refuses to do so.

For all the cool characters that we got, the show also gave us some of the worst ones I've seen in a long time. Also the 'power levels' are through the roof which also didn't do the show any favors.

The setups are there for the coming season to address my concerns for the future... Fingers crossed but I don't really have the highest hopes.

Last edited:
Back