The Rising of the Shield Hero

F**k off king!
I thought this is a matriarchy. Where's the queen?

It's almost rage inducing how nasty all the other characters are... but that's one thing that makes this anime so enjoyable.

Oh, the bitch is back... interfering in their duel...
Hit her in the bitch-FACE! (I have to hand it to the writers on doing such a great job making this bitch such a bitch.)

There are a lot of people rating this show really high. I'm sure the few people in here, that are sharing their opinion are a minority and I really don't want my opinion to ruin somebody else's experience... but I think it's currently ranked number 30 on this site and I'm sure we can all agree that it really isn't THAT good... hah

Looks like a lot of people are big fans of the angery revenge tour our one-of-a-kind Shield protagonist is on. I suppose that's a refreshing take on the isekai genre for anyone who's familiar with it, but a smaller part of me is thinking that all the hatred for this show is only fueling the people who actually do like this to rate it so highly out of spite.

Looks like a lot of people are big fans of the angery revenge tour our one-of-a-kind Shield protagonist is on. I suppose that's a refreshing take on the isekai genre for anyone who's familiar with it, but a smaller part of me is thinking that all the hatred for this show is only fueling the people who actually do like this to rate it so highly out of spite.

You're probably right on that...

The gloomy stuff is what hooks the people in but then all these shows just fall back to the traditional ways. Slime, Goblin Slayer and this show are fine examples of that. What are these shows known for? Doing things differently but at the same time people seem to not see that they're just watching the same old stuff and the gloomy elements have been thrown out of the window ages ago.

It's literally just a marketing trick to get people interested. (Social-) media jumps on it and that's even more free publicity.

I'll start by saying I'm actually liking Shield Hero.

There's a lot to unpack with this show however and in some ways I'm glad Anime is still this sorta niche hobby because otherwise this show would get dissected pretty viciously.

On one end, the spotlight on male fragility and fear of being accused of sexual assault is very much of the moment.

I think you'll see this play out in every "Me Too" discussion where "Believe Women" Champions engage in word combat with the "Innocent Until Proven Guilty/Court of Law" Knights.
It's a real fear, valid or not, and having it portrayed on screen is sure to resonate with a lot of people.

I'm sure the phrases "male power fantasy", "revenge fantasy" and "toxic masculinity" would pop up consistently. And let's not even discuss the "good slave owner" implications.

Past that point we're getting into the tried and true methods of successful Anime by adding cute girls and a possible harem. The occasional Loli.

So this boils down to being the most dude Anime for dudes that I've seen in a while. In an over the top, exaggerated way and I'm enjoying it quite a bit in that capacity, but if someone told me they couldn't enjoy the show there's plenty of valid reasons to pick from.

Last edited:
I've just finished the seventh episode and it was weak. I think as soon as I heard onsen in the second half I figured it'd be time for a snooze. Apparently our protagonist thought the same. The jealousy stuff I am not caring about what so ever.

To be fair, the first half of the episode was ok, and it did have a little bit of relevance to the show.

2RSnG.jpg

Didn't that lion cub in that one Disney movie say almost exactly the same thing before he ran into a bunch of hyenas?

LMAO RIP FILO WE HARDLY KNEW THEE AND THANK GOD FOR THAT TOO

Angery MC finally unleashes his wild side, welcome to the jungle, motherfuckers, THIS SHOW BOUTTA GET ALL KINDS OF LIT

Oh.

Oh for fuck's sake never fucking MIND.

2RSnE.jpg

2RSnF.jpg

3 3DG3Y 5 U

2RSnG.jpg

Didn't that lion cub in that one Disney movie say almost exactly the same thing before he ran into a bunch of hyenas?

LMAO RIP FILO WE HARDLY KNEW THEE AND THANK GOD FOR THAT TOO

Angery MC finally unleashes his wild side, welcome to the jungle, motherfuckers, THIS SHOW BOUTTA GET ALL KINDS OF LIT

Oh.

Oh for fuck's sake never fucking MIND.

2RSnE.jpg

2RSnF.jpg

3 3DG3Y 5 U

GIVE ME MONEY BUT I DON'T REALLY WANT IT!
SWALLOWING A WHOLE FAT CHICKEN...
I'M THE SHIELD AND I CAN'T KILL SHIT BUT I WILL WALK THIS ZOMBIE DRAGON INTO THE GROUND!

You thought you saw blood? Hahaha... JOKES! Just some fucking berries!

I'm so done with this show...

Actually got into an argument about it with one of my friends who recommended me this show because he thought it was the best thing he had seen in years.

FUCKING BERRIES! HWUAHAJSALA'FF 34%345 43@^%#$^&&%^&*(&(@@@!!@##!!

Is anyone else thinking that his shield cursed Raphtalia? She barely touched that dragon, doesn't seem like its breath was enough to curse her
I think that is what happened and they know that but they didn’t want to say it was the sheild in front of the villagers. Would’ve meant a lot of explaining and some fear perhaps?

I love this anime so much right now! The episodes always feel too short. The drawing style is exactly my taste, the story is exciting and tears me along, I love the main characters and the Isekai genre is also my thing at the moment. Perfect! :3

Episode 8
Who knew berries vore could be seen as blood from being viciously swallowed by a dragon? Apparently someone in the writing department though this was clever. Shock therapy needs to be a thing again. While I do adore Filo-chan's appetite, maybe they are getting to deep into that. Also, the curse shield moment, I know they tease that in the OP, but I didnt think they'd showcase that so soon. So the shield gave a curse to Raphtalia? Hmm, seems a little like an unforgivable sort of thing, Hogwartish like. I dunno, I still enjoy this show over so many others this season, so maybe they will get back on track. Also does it seem like Naofumi really is going out of his way to get people not to like him? I'd think he'd be the opposite, I mean sure be a trader, make some money, but like, not be a dick about it I guess?

Start watching first epiosde and it really got to me. Also made me want to watch another epiosde.

Frist Episode
Feel Naofumi make get fun of as he as a sheild and called a loser. I get a feeling a sheild is going to be something or it won't be part of the show I guess. When a woman named Myne decide to join Naofumi, I did a have feeling something up, she made a spy or something, She was nice and help him out and feel something up. Then suddenley when Naofumi found out things are missing then army order to come with him, knew things are up. Don't blame Naofumi if he start not been nice cos of s*** he got. As forthree guys, I believe Motoyasu are in this as well as Aultcray and few staffs. When saw Myne show her Harley Quinn face I felt rage. Naofumi going go rage and reveage and I don't blame him and whatever happen to that country and people he try to save hope get what coming to them. My brother say things get worse, hope not that worst. Need to get over this, Myne made me think about who to trust, there maybe another fictional character like her and maybe worse. Also why does she does something like that? It like a beautiful woman being nice and flirty with a geek guy then suddnely made his life hell.

Last edited:
I watched the eight episode a few days ago. Ehh...
I felt like after Filo's 'death' scene it'd be revealed as temporary. Because obviously. They're not gonna kill her off so soon and just like that right? The action was a bit rubbish as well I thought. A bit stodgy perhps, but the cgi was also rather mediocre.

Also why did they make so many gratuitous, gorey sound effect when Filo was 'eaten'? She was completely unharmed. Unless the simple motion of the dragon closing its jaw caused parts of it to disintigrate of which there was no evidence of such a thing happening.

@SMores

2S2JG.png

Wow, buddy, respect for binging this stupid thing. I don't think I can go through three episodes in a day.

Episode 8
So the shield gave a curse to Raphtalia?

SHORT LIFESPAN I'M CALLING SHORT LIFESPAN FOR THE DEMI-HUMAN REMEMBER THIS AND ETCH IT INTO YOUR SKULLS

Also does it seem like Naofumi really is going out of his way to get people not to like him?

That's part of the series' appeal, unfortunately, where an unwilling savior is cast in the lead role and every silly detail in isekai is pointed out for everyone to laugh at. MC charges people so he has a clear way of making money, some dragon's corpse wasn't disposed of properly in one episode, and the consequences of trusting guys with long spears and windy floozies are explained in full detail here.

Shield Hero tries to deconstruct isekai, but it forgets that deconstruction isn't supposed to start and end with pointing fingers at all the things you think are wrong.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who dislikes this anime as everywhere else I've seen nothing but praise for it.
That first episode was so insanely boring and felt like I was walking through a pit of sand to just reach the end. It did nothing special and played things pretty safe. My only enjoyment came when Narufumi started getting screwed over by that red haired skank. Once the story became about an isekai hero who actually now hates the world I thought I'd enjoy it but that thought was soon dashed with just how quickly he found something to put hope in once again. Now I'm fine with adding something like that but the way it played out was just... unfulfilling to watch as the viewer. I do enjoy his use of that worlds slimes to threaten people, thought that was pretty clever.

Then there was that fight with Sir Spear Dumbass and you know what? I was actually enjoying how helpless Spear was during the fight, which is seemingly exactly what they wanted seeing as they couldn't even give the viewer that. Narufumi going insane after just felt real silly too. Thinking Raphtalia was going to be oh so happy to finally be rid of him made no sense based off what they've been through. I guess they wanted me to feel sympathy for our hero with so much going wrong in his new life, but man that whole "feel bad for me" fest of an episode was hard to sit through.

Now we have a bird god who is also a loli cuz why not. Oh you think because they are about to fight a dragon and this new rage mode of his has been teased it would be at least pretty cool huh? HELL NO Narufumi just sat in the same spot the whole fight, bird got eaten, Raphtalia was useless, but you know what? Let's have them win anyway with this BS excuse. I will say I liked how quick he was to catch on to how his new shield worked with losing himself to it and what not, but I wish it at least had some flash when it was happening.

I know that seems like a rant (it is) but I will keep watching for now. Want to know why?
FOR THIS GUY RIGHT HERE! THE BEST BOY OF THE ANIME AND ITS SAVING GRACE GIVE ME MORE BUFF HANDSOME THOUGHTFUL SHOPKEEP
wU6gkqb.jpg

Back