Drifters

Episode 1:

They first episode is the first 2/3rds of the OVA with no changes so I don't have much to say about it. It was just as entertaining as I remembered though. I'm quite looking forward to it getting to new material. Let's just hope Hoods doesn't shit the bed.

Yeah I watched the OVA the other day to remind myself of it, so I'll just wait till next week too.

Goddamn it. I thought this was gonna be some awesome Sengoku action show. And then the fucking elves showed up. I got duped into wasting 20 minutes on a goddamn "Person in a strange world" show. Screw this. 1 and done.

1 out of 5.

This Kohta Hirano guy just can't make me laugh to save his life.

At least it looks really good and has the same composer of the TV version of Hellsing, which means it sounds awesome. This seems like R-rated actiony schlock through and through and I'm fine with that.

No more loud history lessons though, please.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's not like I'm watching this for deep intricate plot, or deep characters or anything. I'm just in it for all the glorious ham and cheese here.

Yeah, it's not like I'm watching this for deep intricate plot, or deep characters or anything. I'm just in it for all the glorious ham and cheese here.

Which is why it kind of sucks that the episode ended where it did because we won't get to that until next week. If they were just going to lift the OVA whole cloth anyway then they might as well have just bought and extended block of time and shown the whole thing. Unless they're planning on expanding on things next week then I don't see the point. Most of the badass parts that sold me on the OVA happened there at the end, when it really did start to feel like the hammy Hellsing that's like the best greasy cheeseburger in anime.

I don't think we have to worry about this turning into a Sengoku period history lesson though. Other than a way to introduce the characters the history doesn't seem terribly relevant to their current situation.

Episode 1:

Interesting premise, but it did feel a bit lacking. I was expecting it to be a bit better. Awesome animation and style though.

Episode 2:

This is another episode that can be skipped if you've seen the OVA. The only new material was a short thirty second comedy bit at the start of the episode. It looks like we'll finally be getting to new stuff next episode.

Episode 3
Dammit, I don't want some huge political war, I want to see the main three killing everyone and everything and then making fun of each other. We hardly got any of them this episode!

Episode 3

Finally some new shit, yay!

We get a good look at the "Ends" this time and are also introduced to some new "Drifters" as well. I didn't mind that there's wasn't much comedy around this time, since ultra-violence and badass characters are what I expect from Kouta Hirano first of all.

Liked the addition of the crazy pilot, loved Joan of Arc in this (yeah, being burned at the stake sure left its mark on her) and the post-credits scene was an enjoyable return to our main heroes. Now there's two groups of people having to find each other while being stalked by the Black King's lackeys.

I dig it so far, even though the overall plot is not what I'm here for. I didn't watch Hellsing Ultimate for that, either. So I'm fine with anything as long as I get to see brutal fights and epic character moments.

Back