Wolf Girl and Black Prince

Wolf Girl and Black Prince
Alt title: Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji

Synopsis, Screenshots, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here. Full reviews should be posted here. Forum rules and post guidelines can be found here

===================================================================

We have another Futaba on our hands.........with an even more pathetic need to fit in no matter what it takes......

I liked the episode though, worked my smile muscle.

Re: Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji

Episode 1:

I liked this too.
I think it works as a kind of cringe comedy. The main character is made to just be awful enough that you don't mind laughing at her when she suffers as the butt of the joke. Her need for acceptance is taken to extreme level until she's completely unlikable by design. However, she does have that kernel of just wanting to fit in that people can identify with even if she does take it way too far.

I laughed a lot during this episode so that was a good sign. There isn't much to like about the main character as she brags her way into having fake friends and uses her only real friend. It reminds a bit of the start of Blue Spring Ride, but here the girl isn't likable and I don't see her breaking away easily from her fake friends. She's going to cling to her lies even if it means becoming someone else's dog,

The main guy here pretty fun. his reasoning for liking dogs was funny and he does have a good sadist face. Other than that he does seem the opposite of the protagonist, he doesn't care what others think and he is swarmed with attention because of his looks. The way he bails her out at the episode pretty much shows he doesn't give a damn about the opinions of others and I'm sure this is something she's supposed to learn from him as the show develops.

I know they are going to have a romance angle here but I wish they wouldn't. I like the show best when he's in sadist mode and not being nice to her in a cold way as he was at the end of the episode. I'd just prefer this stayed more of a cringe comedy rather delve into romance, but hopefully it will find a satisfying way to do it without turning to melodrama and cliches. It will also hopefully stay focused on the main character's lying and social problems. She is the quintessential girl who cried wolf and I think this could be an interesting study of the personality type and how she develops while staying funny if awkward.

I liked this but I can say it is not for everyone. You might want to stay away if you don't like a main character that is made to make you cringe.

The cringe level is indeed heavy. I had to take like 2 breaks to reflect, stare into space, and regroup.

Episode 1

Well that was funny, though I was forced to skip past 2 segments and watch them afterward because they just felt too crinchy but otherwise I don't hate this, yet. I of course believe that the distance between the ideal of the girl and reality is what makes this hard to follow for me since I can't reflect at such strong feelings myself as I lack a massive drive toward such things. I can understand the guy much easier despite him being a sadist and my lack of disposition on popularity in a high school environment. Of course this is drawn far from reality and I will treat it as such since such a thing happening in the real world would be magic to say the least, the plot is ridiculous but so far I do find it quite fun. Still, I'm not holding high hopes for this series.

Eh, I read some of the manga of this, and I initially liked it, but within just a few chapters it pretty much just dropped the initial "sadist guy" concept and went on some random dwama shit and turns him into a moper.
Then it stopped having any entertaining value whatsoever, and I dropped it.

Maybe the anime will do a better job, but I'm not holding out for that.

Re: Wolf Girl & Black Prince

Yeah i kind of don't expect the sadist thing to continue for that long..................well at least not in his treatment of Erika. It's nice for an episode but it seems like a concept that could grow tiresome over time.......

the author probably realized that much and tried to tweak it so it didn't give you that fatigue........

Well the future aside, I like it as of now and hope I will continue to like it as the episodes pile on........

Eh, I read some of the manga of this, and I initially liked it, but within just a few chapters it pretty much just dropped the initial "sadist guy" concept and went on some random dwama shit and turns him into a moper.
Then it stopped having any entertaining value whatsoever, and I dropped it.

Maybe the anime will do a better job, but I'm not holding out for that.

That's a shame because I could use a good cringe comedy but I need another sappy shoujo melodrama like I need a hole in my head.

That's a shame because I could use a good cringe comedy but I need another sappy shoujo melodrama like I need a hole in my head.
Either way looks like a bad match for me all around. I am still not quite over all the cringe I went through and yet I laughed. Confusion. :seriously:

Episode 1
Oh god this was so hard to sit through. Could barely finish the first half mostly because Erika is trying way too hard. I was hoping to find the next TnKK in this, guess I was mistaken. *Shudders.

EDIT: At least the first half is finally over. There was too much cringe for my taste.

As for the episode itself, its decent. The personality change from nice to sadist was funny, characters are likable, not much to go with other than that for now.

Last edited:

I thought the cringe levels were fine, didn't even have to stop halfway through like I had to for Chuu2. The main girl is unlikeable, her 'friends' are unlikeable and the main guy isn't really that great either, though his sadistic tendencies did make me crack a smile here and there. Wonder how long they'll keep up their charade.
Going by the preview for he next episode, it kind of looks like there's already a love triangle brewing. Oh joy.

i watched about 10 minutes of this before the cringe got so much i had to take a break and just turn it off and like donkey kong smash things around me to lower my stress and general awkwardness levels. no, really. however, I REALLY WANT TO WATCH THIS... i didn't hate it, i just couldn't quite handle it.. so.. i'll give it another try later today after mentally preparing myself.

Surely if you got through Watamote, you can get through this fine?! I think after watching Watamote, i've become highly resistant to cringe comedy, it was pretty great practice in that regard.

Now i want more Watamote....sads :crying:

i loved watamote soooo much. but, the cringe levels? i mean, it was pretty bad... but i got through that with just briefly pausing it at the start and take some deep breaths and a few episodes in my resistance had gotten to the level all i needed was a pillow to hug and maybe hide behind a little bit when it got too bad.

the thing with this show tho is that, after reading the synopsis and stuff i had some expectations of what to come which made the cringe worse. because i was just like.. okay, it's this awkward already and the things i thought i would be cringing over haven't even started, soon she'll be trapped in a web of lies and some sadistic douche prince is gonna waltz in and start blackmailing her to make it all even worse. granted i don't even know how awkward that is going to be or how its gonna play out since i didn't even make it that far.... >_>

I guess i find Tomoko a little more relatable, which makes it much worse for me than this show. It probably helps that i actually like Tomoko, whereas everybody in this show is an asshole. The female lead is a lying asshole with a terrible personality, and her two friends are the worst kind of fake MTV asshole teenage girl types, so the cringe doesn't hit me as hard here. And i hope sadistic douche prince gets even worse with her, that bitch deserves all she gets (excluding Cross Ange anal violation...) as far as i'm concerned.

You need to man up with that pillow though :laugh:

ah, i can somewhat see what you mean. but in the case of Watamote even if i love and adore tomoko as well as relate to her on a spiritual level.. with Tomoko and her awkward adventures it also had some sort of melancholy feeling, or at least for me it was sad a lot of the times which was like while it was super cringy it had a melancholy undertone which then often got like a bucket of sadness and tragedy dumped over it. i had a serious case of the feels watching that show, i even cried. but then i somehow got to expect that it was going to be a cringefest ended with sadness.. so i was okay with it. and i don't think i ever got angry watching it either, somewhat frustrated sure... but no rage.

whereas in this show, the annoyance i feel with basically every single character i got to see including the little kids at the start and random bystanders made anger boil up which makes the cringe harder to endure. :( i think tho if i experienced this story in mangaform i'd be totally fine and prolly enjoy it a lot even if it would still make me angry.

and regarding having a special pillow dedicated to be a cringe pillow. is one of the best decisions i've ever made. everyone should have one. i think it has improved my mental health by at least like 27%.

I'm the same way as Brad. The characters here are pretty much over the top kind of awful and take things to such an extreme that they are easier to dislike and I pretty much just found it hilarious when the main character ends up being the sadist prince's dog. Especially after he made it clear that he wasn't going to ask for sexual favors or anything like that.

Tomoko on the other hand is a good stand in for those awkward teenage years and while I wasn't able to identify with all of her high jinks there were definite times when I could see pieces of my own experience in her so sometimes it was a bit like an uncomfortable look at myself or things I did. It made it more fun too as it was like looking back at those times and being able to laugh about it now. It also made it easier to root for her to get that victory here and there or smile when she had the rare sweet moment, usually with her brother. It's a more difficult and rewarding watch.

Then again this is only one episode in so it is possible for the main chick to gain some sort of nuance, but I doubt it. especially if this is going to become generic shoujo rom-com number 3190.

Well for the moment the leads are a bit unique as far as shojis go, but everything around them is cliche.

the setup
the 1 helpful friend that just happens to be in a different class
the bitches

The male lead is walking a fine line though.

Last edited:
Back