Daily Anime Thoughts

Jamie

This works like random chit-chat and latest thought, but focused on anime and such. Let me see if I can get this rolling and see if it'll stick.

Disctotek's first new Fist of the North Star set comes in a brick. Haven't seen one of these in years it seems. I used to avoid bricks were I could, but these days I prefer them over thinpaks.
The "brick" is the precursor to thinpaks. It's a thick DVD case the size of 2 normal single DVD cases. They typically would have pages of discs inside and was used to sell a series previously released in singles as one complete set on the cheap, or for things that wouldn't have much of a chance otherwise. For example, City Hunter, which has been OOP for years. But the brick got it's name for being even thicker. Coming in at the width of 4-5 DVD singles and each disc or two having it's own compartment.

The thin pack I both love and hate, was Shingu Secret of the Stellar Wars.
Love: The comprehensive mini booklet that came with it. It has many informative bits about the show and how it was made. It is also in a nice deep dark Back and blue colored box representing space.
Hate: How friggin tight the thin DVD's and booklet are. It is a work out to remove them. I feel I am trying to stuff something too big, in something smaller.

One of my fave "Brick"s I bought was a discount of all the Eureka 7 series. It actually came with two decorative boxes. both look nice, and ended up being cheaper overall than buying the Max-sized DVD case (the type that is the case with 6 DVD's in it)

One of my fave "Brick"s I bought was a discount of all the Eureka 7 series. It actually came with two decorative boxes. both look nice, and ended up being cheaper overall than buying the Max-sized DVD case (the type that is the case with 6 DVD's in it)
Or 7, or 8, depending on how much the company that licensed the series wanted to milk it. Pioneer/Geneon was a big offender; all the Tenchi TV series, for example, were 8 disc releases.

Should really get around to finishing Hokuto no Ken/FoTNS already...it's bad ass...
Speaking of, I'm watching it right now, Discotek's remaster looks great.

EDIT:

I love the fact that FotNS has a countdown timer for certain deaths.

Last edited:
DAT (Daily Anime Thought): I wish I had more time to watch anime. I guess that's life, but I'm happy to have my job! Also, I wish I could find more anime that wasn't borderline softcore pr0n. I'm pushing it with H.O.T.D., you know? I'm a married man. I don't want to watch 'T&A' constantly. Sigh...

Look to the 80's and 90's for anime that isn't trying to give you a stiffy. Sure, there's still women in skimpy outfits, but it's not a primary goal of the anime.

Also, for being a post-apocalyptic world, FotNS is pretty damn colorful.

Look to the 80's and 90's for anime that isn't trying to give you a stiffy. Sure, there's still women in skimpy outfits, but it's not a primary goal of the anime.

Also, for being a post-apocalyptic world, FotNS is pretty damn colorful.

It's hell finding stuff to purchase just from a few years ago, Jamie.

I'll check out FotNS.

Bored with animes right now. Been searching through the database for a week for a series that's really funny or something that has some great sci-fi action. Any suggestions? I've already seen stuff like Gintama, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Etc. Looking for something a little more obscure.

Bored with animes right now. Been searching through the database for a week for a series that's really funny or something that has some great sci-fi action. Any suggestions? I've already seen stuff like Gintama, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Etc. Looking for something a little more obscure.
Mmm, maybe Wild Arms?

I'm starting Welcome to the N.H.K myself. Reading the LN to and figure I might as well do a side by side comparison.

Is FOTNS good? What genre is it? I hear of it, but I'm still a noob to most 90's > anime.
I think so. Action. If you like violence, I'm talking literal head exploding violence, take a look at it. Beyond that it's pretty fun if you don't try to take it too seriously. Hulu has it last I checked. Just keep in mind FotNS is not known for it's stellar animation. And it has to have some merits if they've made a few Revoltech figures of it with it being as old as it is.

I think so. Action. If you like violence, I'm talking literal head exploding violence, take a look at it. Beyond that it's pretty fun if you don't try to take it too seriously. Hulu has it last I checked. Just keep in mind FotNS is not known for it's stellar animation. And it has to have some merits if they've made a few Revoltech figures of it with it being as old as it is.

It's very popular in pachinko and slot places. Almost as popular as Evangelion.

Daily Anime Thoughts - It's cool that my wife said I can watch whatever I want to watch. She's knows I'm faithful and that I don't struggle with "that issue". So, as long as it isn't hentia, I can watch what I want. I'm glad. There's a lot of shows i want to watch that have nudity.

DAT

If real people acted like anime characters they would be put in an insane asylum :@_@: If I saw someone tackle a stranger in the street saying "uguu," or watched a girl pull a myriad of office supplies out of nowhere, or saw a detective squatting in a chair eating cake I'd take a few steps back and relay to my friends what crazy people are running around the city today :laugh: I mean think about it. Everyone in anime is textbook insane!

Back