Highschool of the Dead

TheCoffeeGod

Highschool of the Dead
Alt title: Gakuen Mokushiroku: High School of the Dead

Synopsis, Screenshots, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here. Full reviews should be posted here. Forum rules and post guidelines can be found here.

Zombie hell has officially been unleashed!

Due to the fact that it just got announced as a simulcast via Anime Network, I figured I'd make the thread now and keep up with the Anime Network countdown for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw the trailer. It looks good except for the exaggerated fan service. I can deal with fanservice, but when breasts defy the laws of physics so much that they can put an eye out... that's when I draw the line. When they try too hard to get guys excited, then that is just annoying.

[sadht]Highschool of the Dead[/sadht][sadhl=3094]highschool-of-the-dead[/sadhl][sadhdc][/sadhdc]

Zombie hell has officially been unleashed!

Due to the fact that it just got announced as a simulcast via Anime Network, I figured I'd make the thread now and keep up with the Anime Network countdown for it.

Could you get the simulcast to work? I cannot T-T

biggthumpup.gif

Alright, I'm not much of a zombie fan at all, but that episode was ****ing awesome!

Blood... Action... Blood... Panties!...Blood... Blood... Tension... Blood... Panties!... Blood... Panties!... Tension... Blood...

Rinse & Repeat

Last edited:
I'm totally going to love this series. The first episode was awesome and completely uncensored.

...and completely uncensored.
I don't think that's entirely true...

If you watched the Promo Video for this series, it's basically scenes from the first episode, and when...
That teacher that jumps out the window, in the promo you can clearly see him hitting the ground on his head and splattering. In the airing of it, it fades to black before he hits the ground.

There's probaly a few more as well that I didn't notice the first time through.

Last edited:
First episode was good, but it seemed like they were pretty lazy with some of the animation. Still shots are NOT "animated" by panning and zooming. Anyways, it's nice to get that extra boing boing effect not seen in the manga :)

Did anyone else catch that 28 days later music theme playing in the background???

Can't wait for more Saeko :)

Zombie stuff is pretty awesome and I like how they used the slow moving zombies instead of fast ones. I'm guessing they don't play much Left 4 Dead in Japan... Then again they have Resident Evil. They should be pros at zombie infestations lol.

I started reading the manga a couple of years ago and absolutley loved it. When I discovered that the anime was coming out I was extremely excited. After watching the first episode I'm not at all disappointed and I love the music throughout the whole thing. I can't wait for more episodes!

Zombie stuff is pretty awesome and I like how they used the slow moving zombies instead of fast ones. I'm guessing they don't play much Left 4 Dead in Japan... Then again they have Resident Evil. They should be pros at zombie infestations lol.

I think the movie Tokyo Zombie had both fast and slow moving zombies.

Funny that you mentioned Left 4 Dead. I remember reading something interesting related to it.

Fat Princess, a charmingly bloody multiplayer PS3 “capture the princess” game, was set to be belatedly released in Japan as “Pocchari Princess,” but that release has been cancelled and delayed indefinitely – allegedly due to complaints over the fact that characters depicted only have four fingers.

Some explanation is in order – the issue derives from claims of discrimination by the hypersensitive descendents of Japan’s “burakumin” caste. In the Edo period, these were families forced to live as “untouchables” in special villages and ghettos as they worked in professions, such as tanning or undertaking, considered “unclean” in Shinto.

Such peoples were subjected to heavy legal and social discrimination, and although the caste was abolished in 1871 as part of the Meiji reforms, the discrimination lingers on to this day, with some people, predominantly in the Kansai region, still attempting to ensure their families do not marry the descendents of the burakumin by way of clandestine and illegal ancestry checks.

The burakumin reaction against this has seen the issue given virtual taboo status, along the same lines as racism in the west. The same reaction has also seen plenty of “anti-discriminatory” complaints and legal activity on their part, and it is here that the matter intersects with Fat Princess of all things.

“Yotsu,” “four,” is supposedly used by some blighted individuals as a discriminatory term for burakumin, and this has led to excessively sensitive burakumin activists attacking what they consider discriminatory usage of the number “four” – a variety of anime and manga have been forced to redraw characters to have five fingers based on such complaints:

left4deadcomparison.jpg

There are some pretty pointless and stupid parts in it, but it's alright over-all for a zombie anime and all, they could lose the unrealistic breast bouncing...

Did anyone else catch that 28 days later music theme playing in the background???
Damn you!...I was gonna wait until it was finished and watch it all in one go...I was holding out ok even after TheCoffeeGod's comment....but now... >_<
I guess it's my fault though for reading your comments...
Blood... Action... Blood... Panties!...Blood... Blood... Tension... Blood... Panties!... Blood... Panties!... Tension... Blood...

Rinse & Repeat
It sounds awesome! :love:

The first episode was awesome blood, gore, and ecchi what more do you need. Read the manga a couple of months ago and been looking forward to this since I heard it was coming out. It was definitely worth the wait probably my most favorite anime of the new season.

Violence + Ecchi!! I'm in! :smile::drink:

I hardly can wait till next week for the new episode :)

My favourite part was when the two girls were running in the halls saying "don't worry, we are BFF!" then one of them got caught and the other one just kicked her to the zombies because she just treasured her own life.

zombies and fan service... I had hopes for this show, and I was guessing that they just put some fan service shots in the trailer... nope characters can't move without breasts bouncing ridiculously and panties have as much screen time as the action.

Back