Daily Anime Thoughts

me: [recommends ousama ranking] it's this super cute show... the protag is cute and they handle him well... i like how it subverts fantasy tropes... the characterization displayed within the animation gives even characters with little screentime a lot of personality... they have people who know jsl working on it!

me: [really just wants them to get to the part where
domas pushes bojji off a cliff
]

i have many feelings about ousama ranking
mOvdnQN.gif

You're honestly too hilarious for words dude, I cannot stop being highly amused about your fixation with that.

me: [recommends ousama ranking] it's this super cute show... the protag is cute and they handle him well... i like how it subverts fantasy tropes... the characterization displayed within the animation gives even characters with little screentime a lot of personality... they have people who know jsl working on it!

me: [really just wants them to get to the part where
domas pushes bojji off a cliff
]

i have many feelings about ousama ranking

mOvdnQN.gif

You're honestly too hilarious for words dude, I cannot stop being highly amused about your fixation with that.
Oh but the looks on peoples faces/the reactions they can have through text when watching a scene like that

There's nothing like it. I know just what he means.

It's like
watching people get to phase 2 of the guardian ape fight in sekiro, or watch it. the best reactions.

mOvdnQN.gif

Oh but the looks on peoples faces/the reactions they can have through text when watching a scene like that

There's nothing like it. I know just what he means.

yes! you're exactly right. it's such a fun WHAM episode

like the fun thing about people getting to that episode is whether they
like domas after and are like what why or come to you ranting about how much they hate his guts either reaction is really worthwhile

plus it's such a good episode, character drama wise. the framing of showing all these tender moments with bojji and domas beforehand. the foreshadowing of what domas is struggling with. the little cut where it transitions from bojji falling to hiling's teacup smashing on the floor. domas' emotional breakdown. 'are you going to be my next sacrifice?' with the hunter king. it is just one of my favourite episodes of the show in general, because it works that character drama well

DAT: Been reading some good things about Gundam Hathaway, thought I'd ask our resident Gundam/Mecha expert @AdmiralMuffin if 1) It's worth a watch,

Yes. The first Hathaway movie is pretty great and a good proper sequel to Char's Counterattack. It's a more character-driven story than your usual Gundam stuff and a decent political thriller. Not that they skimped on the mobile suit stuff. The first mobile suit engagement happens midway and it's one of the best mobile suit skirmishes in the franchise.

and 2) Worth watching Thunderbolt and rewatching Unicorn first?

Thunderbolt anime is okay but the manga is the better experience. The jazz soundtrack is pretty banging though. Thunderbolt is set during and after the OYW/0079 so no Hathaway connection.

You don't need to rewatch Unicorn if you're planning to watch Hathaway. The events of Unicorn doesn't really connect with Hathaway's tale but Char's Counterattack is a required viewing since the events of that movie is the driving force behind Hathaway's actions in his movie.

Last edited:
Yes. The first Hathaway movie is pretty great and a good proper sequel to Char's Counterattack. It's a more character-driven story than your usual Gundam stuff and a decent political thriller. Not that they skimped on the mobile suit stuff. The first mobile suit engagement happens midway and it's one of the best mobile suit skirmishes in the franchise.

Thunderbolt anime is okay but the manga is the better experience. The jazz soundtrack is pretty banging though. Thunderbolt is set during and after the OYW/0079 so no Hathaway connection.

You don't need to rewatch Unicorn if you're planning to watch Hathaway. The events of Unicorn doesn't really connect with Hathaway's tale but Char's Counterattack is a required viewing since the events of that movie is the driving force behind Hathaway's actions in his movie.
Any excuse to rewatch Char's Counterattack is good by me. I'll prioritise that and then Hathaway over Thunderbolt then, I'm intrigued by Thunderbolt, I've seen some of the Mobile Suit designs for the show and they do look good. Maybe I'll just read the manga with the soundtrack playing in the background.

Thanks dude!

Any excuse to rewatch Char's Counterattack is good by me. I'll prioritise that and then Hathaway over Thunderbolt then, I'm intrigued by Thunderbolt, I've seen some of the Mobile Suit designs for the show and they do look good. Maybe I'll just read the manga with the soundtrack playing in the background.

Thanks dude!

The Thunderbolt anime is really short too. Feels more like some kind of advertisement for the manga than an adaptation. 8 episodes overall and each episode is like 15 minutes long. Story was rushed and omitted a lot of scenes and details. Shame really because it was well-directed and the OST is really really good.

DAT:

People were not joking when they said the censorship in World's End Harem was horrendous:

SA8vDFw.png

I've seen bad censorship before, but this is easily the worst thing I've ever seen, even worse than Terra Formars. It's like someone went into MS paint and scribbled over everything.

DAT: Been reading some good things about Gundam Hathaway, thought I'd ask our resident Gundam/Mecha expert @AdmiralMuffin if 1) It's worth a watch, and 2) Worth watching Thunderbolt and rewatching Unicorn first?

This is opportune for me to ask if you don't mind me asking because I brought G Gundam out of my stalled list just last night to finish and it's my first Gundam. What are some other good Gundams for me to sink my teeth into as a Gundam newbie? I know G is really its own thing separate from the rest of the franchise and I've been advised before that 00 and Iron-Blooded Orphans are good standalone entries, but wasn't sure if there were better places to start. I doubt I'll ever watch the whole franchise between the two timelines but I'd definitely interested to see some of the best there is to offer.

DAT: Wait, Carole & Tuesday is set in the same universe as Cowboy Bebop? Wut?
I just learned this recently as well when Youtubers were busting out new Bebop analyses in lieu of the Netflix series. One detail I didn't pick up on is most of Watanabe's anime all use wulongs as the currency. So I think Space Dandy was also in like the far future of Bebop's universe or something like that.

EDIT:
DAT: Scott Pilgrim is getting a Netflix anime
>Bryan Lee O’Malley, Pilgrim’s artist-creator, is writing and executive producing
>Anime house Science SARU on tap to provide the animation work.
OH MY GOD??

Last edited:
This is opportune for me to ask if you don't mind me asking because I brought G Gundam out of my stalled list just last night to finish and it's my first Gundam. What are some other good Gundams for me to sink my teeth into as a Gundam newbie? I know G is really its own thing separate from the rest of the franchise and I've been advised before that 00 and Iron-Blooded Orphans are good standalone entries, but wasn't sure if there were better places to start. I doubt I'll ever watch the whole franchise between the two timelines but I'd definitely interested to see some of the best there is to offer.

IBO and 00 are good entry shows but to be honest any Gundam show that's not part of the UC timeline is a good starter.

I made a Gundam guide for someone not too long ago. Maybe it could help:
zq5Go4c.png

yJpno7N.png

Back