Your Top Anime 2021

Rascal

Gold Supporter
The year of our lord, 2021. Great year, wasn't it? Anime, coming out left and right, and you, right in the middle of it. Doesn't it make you want to take a step back and look at what you've thought highest of? Now that it's December?

Yeah, it does. You know it. You KNOW you wanna post what your top anime are, and this is the place for it. So... do it.

Do you have a top three? Top five? Maybe just one single favorite? Maybe a giant list of all the anime you've seen that came out this year organized from worst to best? No? That sounds like a waste of time?

Oh no... I-I didn't realize you felt that way...

Post your favorite anime that came out in 2021 in this thread!

257965ae6b1201a60e01496b6540ee70a5563ed3.gif

Yeah, I mean it's fairly obvious what the AOTY is. No competition whatsoever.

Including stuff that didn't come out in 2021, I'd give a shoutout to NGE, In This Corner of the World, and S2 of Aggretsuko, for leaving the biggest impression on me. I should end up with 42 anime watched by the end of the year, and I'm fairly happy with that.

As for the opposite side, I watched a looooooooooooooooot of shit this year, and it's hard to pick out what I hated the most. No, that's a lie. I know perfectly well what it is.

Feels like we got a lot of sequels this year, huh? Maybe it's just me. Anyway, I'd say that my top anime of the year were Laid-Back Camp Season 2, Fruits Basket's final season, and Zombie Land Saga Revenge. Laid-Back Camp gave us a bunch of great, relaxing moments, Fruits Basket had a really satisfying conclusion, and Zombie Land Saga gave us a whole album of great new songs. Although, I suppose I should name at least one original anime, so I'll give a shout-out to Shadows House. It was pretty consistently good, and I was absolutely hooked whilst watching it.

Mhhhh, i wouldn't say I have a raked list, but some out of the top of my mind are:

- Bakuten, really enjoy the characters and overall story (watari best boi)
- Thought i haven't finished it, to your eternity was an interesting watch considering i didn't like the authors previous works like a silent voice.
- Tokyo revenges would be my guilty pleasure of the year tbh. I definitely don't think the story and time travel are the best but its addictive +.+
- Uramichi oniisan was the best comedy of this year imo. Gotta love dark comedy.
- I actually like the second season of cells at work more than the last one. Why? Dunno, it just was more enjoyable.
- And from the newer stuf, im liking komi san quite a bit. Barely read the manga and liked it, but the anime stands out more for me. Something about the adaptation stands out from me.

There definitely was some real shitty anime this year, but it was decent enough :P

out of everything I watched that came out in 2021 including all the sequels

- mushoku tensei, it was amazing still need to catch up on the second season though ^^;
- slime isekai part 2 and part 2 season two was great
- so i'm a spider so what, was a fun series with a really fun narrative
- re: zero season 2 part 2 was really well done ^^ liked it better the season 2 part 1

and uh for the non isekai fans....
- godzilla singular point was a fun different anime with two main characters i got fairly invested in
- super crooks was a fun look on western superheroes and came up with some great powers

- Thought i haven't finished it, to your eternity was an interesting watch considering i didn't like the authors previous works like a silent voice.
I'm in a similar position with A Silent Voice, I didn't like it much at all, but as for To Your Eternity, let's just say I'm sure it won't come as a shock to anyone where it ends up in my final rankings
:sweat:

For me, the 2021 crop of anime was pretty spare, even by my fairly narrow standards. And yet these shows absolutely nailed it:

1. Yuru Camp 2, which was at least as perfect as the first season. Arguably the best "but nothing is happening" writing I've ever seen.

2. KoiKimo, which is just a straight-up fantastic show, stem to stern. Brilliant writing, great exploration of a concept, excellent characters--and #BestGirl2021 Rio. (Yes, I know you didn't watch it. And you all missed out.)

3. Quintessential Quintuplets 2, which was everything wonderful about the first season ratcheted up to 10 and absolutely non of the faff...even if it did wuss out with the biggest plot twist of the manga.

4. Zombie Land Saga 2, which was a total sleeper, much like it's first season, making it easy to forget that it was chock-a-block with greatness.

5. Ganbare, Doki-chan, which was short and adorable and hilarious.

6. Way of the Househusband, which...shouldn't be anywhere as good as it was. And what is was was hilarious.

7. Don't Toy with Me, Miss Nagatoro, which I kind of don't want to put on this list, because I didn't love it...but I'd be a liar if I didn't include it. And not just because I didn't want to have only 6 items on my list, but because it really was very good. And it didn't f*** up its ending like some other shows I could name. That take place in out-of-the-way manors. With supernatural elements.

I’m going to put anime that haven’t even finished yet because being conventional is boring.

1. Ousama Ranking - To your eternity: Tied for me for first in feelsiness.

2. Jojo Stone Ocean - Jolyne is the best jojo I’ve seen so far

3. Odd Taxi - Witty neo noir with animal people is always good

4. Megalobox season 2 - It is actually even better than season 1 if that was possible

5. Kemono Jihen - Best Shounen title of the year

2021 had an okay line-up for me. My top picks for this year are...

Back Arrow - I think it's one of the underrated shows this year. Despite the weird ending, it's a pretty entertaining ride overall.

Yuru Camp S2 - Just as great and comfy as S1

86 - A great and faithful adaptation overall. I hope Ishii gets more big projects after this. Really impressive directorial debut.

Uma Musume S2 - Leagues better than S1. I was kinda disappointed it had a studio change but S2 turned out to be a great emotional rollercoaster.

Odd Taxi - I'm not much for anthropomorphic animals but I took the plunge for this one. It is certainly odd and unique.

Getter Robo Arc - The production values is pure ass but there's a lot of love here for the Getter Robo mythos and this is probably the most manga accurate Getter anime so far.

Restaurant to Another World S2 - Probably the only isekai show (or is it reverse isekai?) I enjoyed this year.

Last edited:
1. Oddtaxi
2. To Your Eternity
3. Back Arrow
4. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stone Ocean
5. Ousama Ranking
6: The Heike Story
7: Shadows House
8: The Aquatope on White Sand
9: Ms Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S
10: Sonny Boy
I suppose I took for granted how good we had it this year after all. I went into this post thinking I would struggle to scrape together enough things I liked for just a top 5 but now I'm struggling to keep to just a top 10.

Last edited:
We actually had a lot of good anime this year.

1̶.̶ ̶A̶r̶c̶a̶n̶e̶:̶ ̶L̶e̶a̶g̶u̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶L̶e̶g̶e̶n̶d̶s̶ ̶-̶ ̶B̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶m̶e̶a̶n̶ ̶d̶a̶m̶n̶
1. Odd Taxi - Just excellent. Great characters and slow-building plot threads that interweave and build on one another. The community at large is missing out on this gem of a show. We don't need a second season, but maybe an OVA could be fun.
2. Mushoku Tensei - This show is basically the ultimate test of not supporting or condoning a main character's actions to appreciate a good fictional story. Completely understand if other people cannot overlook those, but I just found the whole show very gripping. Absolutely stellar production with strong performances from the cast and animators and I loved how everything feels so grounded despite the fantasy setting. I'm down to see more and hoping for Rudeus to really grow past who he once was.
3. Castlevania 4 - Castlevania finished in absolutely epic fashion. Maybe a few character arcs and plotlines were rushed, but overall I was very satisfied with this series and I'm excited to see the next saga with Richter.
4. Beastars 2 - I love Beastars, man. It's so fucking weird. 2nd season went in interesting directions and I'm looking forward to the final season very much.
5. Megalo Box 2: Nomad - Strong character work and storytelling. Great drama and a worthy follow-up to the standout first season. Everything about the second season was bold in its direction and that was all to the series' merit.
6. Ranking of Kings - While not done yet, this anime is just so heartfelt with making you want to root for Bojji - an underdog amongst underdogs. And it doesn't pull punches on how this world and the people in it will not make this easy for him - the side characters and their subplots are compelling as well. Delightful art design and animation make the icing on top.
7. To Your Eternity - This series made me feel things, despite the predictable formula you saw each arc running on. I love when a series like this comes along that has a concept you've never seen before and it tackles it by addressing all the interesting questions and consequences that would come about in such a scenario. Unconventional stories like these are what drew me to anime in the first place and it's all the better when it achieves such emotional resonance.
8. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stone Ocean (1st cour) - I really do love this adaptation and I'd likely bump this up a spot or a few higher if it were complete. I'll probably rank this high in my 2022 anime since most of the show will have aired next year.
9. SK8 The Infinity - This series is high-octane fun from top to bottom. Not particularly deep, but it doesn't need to be. I'd love a second season of this where the gang goes international or something, Bones knocked it out of the park.
10. Tokyo Revengers - This plot really hooked me, I am gonna go jump to the manga and catch up on the story. I don't do this often anymore, but TR's animation wasn't much and while the voice acting's fun, the story's the main draw for me here.

RE:Zero Season 2 Part 2 and Vivy were also good, shoutout to Tappei Nagatsuki.

Wonder Egg Priority could have been in this top ten if only it didn't completely crash at the end. Such a letdown.

Demon Slayer Mugen Train and Evangelion 3.0+1.0 were solid movies, the latter especially serving as a worthy sendoff to the Eva franchise.

https://www.anime-planet.com/users/...year=2021&to_year=2021&sort=rating&order=desc
According to that:
1. Fruits Basket Final Season & Gintama Finale Movie 5/5
2. Link Click, Natsume's Book of Friends Movie 2, Dr Stone S2, Detective Conan Movie 24, & Vivy 4.5/5
3. Odd Taxi & SK8 4/5
Or you know what, literally all my top is either a sequel or a movie.....2021 was kinda dull I guess. My top nonsequel is not even japanese production lmao. I had vivy as 4/5 but I think it deserved more so moved to 4.5/5 since I can still clearly remember my emotions watching it and tearing up. I loved the opening and the OST so much.

Note: SK8 is like 3-3.5 but I have it up there cause of the memes and dio.

Back