Arcane: League of Legends

Watched the first three episodes. From a production standpoint this is pretty amazing stuff, I do like that there's actual effort put into this plus it's very rare to see an animated show with episodes around the 40 minute mark at least in my experience. Combined with how successful this has been I'm hoping people take notice and maybe apply similar ideas to their own productions. I actually highly recommend people watch this even if it's just for the production values alone cause I can totally see this being a game changer for the entire medium!

That makes what I'm about to say kind of painful for me to type out, because unfortunately the other parts of the show just didn't click for me. It's not bad at all by any means but I just found myself not really compelled to continue but that's entirely on me and not the show's fault. If you're baffled as hell reading that I don't blame you cause I'm honestly just as baffled myself. I want to stress that I don't think this is a bad show at all, hell, I'll say it's a damn good show but it's just not clicking with me.

With the awesome strides this does take in production, I'm looking forward to seeing how this impacts the medium in general. If it's as much of a game changer I'm convinced it's going to be, there's bound to be something that comes along that takes those things I mentioned in that first paragraph and applies it to something I'll love! That's ultimately what I'll commend this show for, it'll probably wind up inspiring my next favorite thing someday, or someone else's next favorite thing! That's already one hell of a feat in itself.

I was floored with how good Arcane was.

This show was so immersive: a well-detailed world that competently sets the scene for how all of these characters came to be. And this fantastic set of developed characters compellingly drove the plot forward, not the other way around as we tend to see so often. All complete with their own set of nuances (facial expressions, small actions, the enticing ways they bounced off other characters) that cumulatively made them feel like real, well-realized people. Everyone had their own clear set of distinct, complex motivations which informed their actions and always made sense.
I know people meme on this critical point, but I have to say this series' pacing was so well-executed - maybe aside from the first two episodes, I was glued to the screen dying to know what happens next. Arcane consistently knew when to kick things up a notch and when to stop and sit in the moment.
And boy did they dial to 11 with the action and animation - off the charts. As echoed previously in this thread, the seamless fluidity captivated me similarly to how Spiderverse did.
And to top everything off, what a killer soundtrack. I'm still jamming out to it and can see myself doing so for quite a while.
Overall you can really tell how much passion and effort went into the stellar production here, I can't sing the production team's praises enough.

This was the best thing I've watched this year. No I wouldn't say the show's perfect, but damn it's pretty close. Cannot wait for Season 2.

And to top everything off, what a killer soundtrack. I'm still jamming out to it and can see myself doing so for quite a while.
Overall you can really tell how much passion and effort went into the stellar production here, I can't sing the production team's praises enough.
The use of music really sets Arcane apart, as Riot then put its many years of experience with music videos to use, and Fortiche had worked on some of their videos in the past.
And, uniquely, they often scored the music first, before animating the scenery. Instead of "make a score to this scene" it's "build a scene for this score", which was amazing inspiration for the artists working on set design. The music video approach is especially good for the action scenes, where everything is then paced around the music itself instead of the music being added to fit the scene later. I'm happy to see that this "music video approach" is seemingly becoming more common, which I've even seen in anime. It's a welcome addition to director arsenals.

Probably my personal favorite is Snakes.

Though Dynasties & Dystopia was used for what's probably one of the single best scenes in the entire series from stylistic and characterization perspectives.

Watched the first three episodes. From a production standpoint this is pretty amazing stuff, I do like that there's actual effort put into this plus it's very rare to see an animated show with episodes around the 40 minute mark at least in my experience. Combined with how successful this has been I'm hoping people take notice and maybe apply similar ideas to their own productions. I actually highly recommend people watch this even if it's just for the production values alone cause I can totally see this being a game changer for the entire medium!

That makes what I'm about to say kind of painful for me to type out, because unfortunately the other parts of the show just didn't click for me. It's not bad at all by any means but I just found myself not really compelled to continue but that's entirely on me and not the show's fault. If you're baffled as hell reading that I don't blame you cause I'm honestly just as baffled myself. I want to stress that I don't think this is a bad show at all, hell, I'll say it's a damn good show but it's just not clicking with me.

With the awesome strides this does take in production, I'm looking forward to seeing how this impacts the medium in general. If it's as much of a game changer I'm convinced it's going to be, there's bound to be something that comes along that takes those things I mentioned in that first paragraph and applies it to something I'll love! That's ultimately what I'll commend this show for, it'll probably wind up inspiring my next favorite thing someday, or someone else's next favorite thing! That's already one hell of a feat in itself.

I'm surprised no one else has said this but the characters change pretty dramatically after the first 3 episodes (timeskip of 10 years or something. Or as the kids might say "glow up")

Would you be willing to watch one more episode before you drop it for good? Mostly because I'm curious if the adult arc hooks you.

I'm surprised no one else has said this but the characters change pretty dramatically after the first 3 episodes (timeskip of 10 years or something. Or as the kids might say "glow up")

Would you be willing to watch one more episode before you drop it for good? Mostly because I'm curious if the adult arc hooks you.
Maybe I'll watch one more episode if I really feel up for it someday but I still don't have any desire to really continue. Right after I finished episode 3 I figured there'd be some kind of timeskip (or some other kind of major shift along those lines) but even knowing that I still didn't really want to continue watching. Or as another way of putting it I just didn't feel the need to continue. I feel like I've gotten all I'm going to get out of it, at least that's how I feel at this point in time.

Maybe I'll watch one more episode if I really feel up for it someday but I still don't have any desire to really continue. Right after I finished episode 3 I figured there'd be some kind of timeskip (or some other kind of major shift along those lines) but even knowing that I still didn't really want to continue watching. Or as another way of putting it I just didn't feel the need to continue. I feel like I've gotten all I'm going to get out of it, at least that's how I feel at this point in time.
You, my good sir, are about as dead wrong as a person is capable of being.

Watched it. It had The Owl House vibes instantly turn it off. Straight garbage.

The use of music really sets Arcane apart, as Riot then put its many years of experience with music videos to use, and Fortiche had worked on some of their videos in the past.
And, uniquely, they often scored the music first, before animating the scenery. Instead of "make a score to this scene" it's "build a scene for this score", which was amazing inspiration for the artists working on set design. The music video approach is especially good for the action scenes, where everything is then paced around the music itself instead of the music being added to fit the scene later. I'm happy to see that this "music video approach" is seemingly becoming more common, which I've even seen in anime. It's a welcome addition to director arsenals.

Probably my personal favorite is Snakes.

Though Dynasties & Dystopia was used for what's probably one of the single best scenes in the entire series from stylistic and characterization perspectives.
That's really interesting, that makes me a big advocate for more production teams using this approach with music first. Because any action scene that had accompanying music gelled super well and now I see why.
I'd agree that's one of the biggest factors behind the success of that exact scene you're citing
where Ekko and Jinx faced off.
I saw people praising that scene with just simple screencaps of them smiling before it starts - no other context. And then I got excited when the music started and he took the watch out - all leading up to the run forward, the chorus starting, and my jaw dropped.

Snakes is definitely great, I do think Dynasties & Dystopia is my favorite song to jam to though. It just slaps.

I like Owl House but the writing is...shit.
giphy.gif

So you're not only implying Arcane has bad writing, but The Owl House as well...I have no words for how utterly wrong you are.

giphy.gif

So you're not only implying Arcane has bad writing, but The Owl House as well...I have no words for how utterly wrong you are.

Nah I think I am right. You can like something trash it's perfect fine bro. People love Resident Evil

Nah I think I am right. You can like something trash it's perfect fine bro. People love Resident Evil
This show is not trash. Neither is The Owl House, but let's focus on the thread topic here. Arcane is great. Awesomely animated, well written, has some baller fight scenes, a soundtrack already shaping up to be a total classic, took existing game characters and wrote them differently but awesomely for the show's narrative, is gay as springtime, so on and so forth. You don't like the show, fine. But I will not sit idly by while it is disparaged like that.

I actually wasn't finished Arcane last time I wrote in here, so now that I am...

well. I really love Viktor and Silco. they definitely appeal to my aesthetic sense. also they really loved having silco chomp on his cigar huh? I really feel like every 5 minutes silco was chomping on a cigar.

Vi/Cait was good
I'm curious if they'll have some tension in their relationship after because Vi asking Cait not to kill her sister has probably lead to Cait's mum dying lol

RIP to all the milfs in this series, keep dying

The sister's codependent strange relationship was good too

I love how a lot of people involved in the creation of the show have been fairly open on youtube about it.
Like how the writer of Dear Friend Across the River commented on this excellent cover.

And only now did I realize just how deeply tied to the story that song is. Yet another example of how great the music is in this show, and how it's not just set-dressing.
Also--
--Jinx is humming it on the bridge after the butterfly explosions.

Back